Simplified or Traditional Chinese for a name on birth Certificate

know they won't send the passport to either to the usa or china home adddress.

but on the application for the baby passport, it ask the permanent and mailing address. i still need to fill out the baby passport application and it ask for the address. what did you use? your usa or your wife china home address on the application?

thx again.

i didn't get a confirmation # or email during my last time online appointment booking. so i rebook it for another date and print a screenshot. i hope that good enough for them to let us in.

I don't remember what addresses I used. Most likely i put down a mail address for the USA for permanent and for a mailing address. I don't trust China's post office system. I once mailed a package to my wife and it was opened. She got the package but someone stole 20 USD. I knew it might happened. If they want your wife's address in China for a mailing address, they will ask for it. They will go over each forum, line by line if there are any mistakes. I made 2 on the forums and it was noted by the person. I had the kids month's birth date wrong for one error. I know at least two people looked at my forums. The first was the person at the first window when I first arrived. The second time was 3 hours later at a different window for another person.

You can also make a note of it and ask them at the window. "What they want for addresses" or it could be what YOU want to put down for addresses. Make sure you have all the addresses on hand in Pinyin and in Chinese Characters..

The sceenshot of the rebooking will work to get in the door. At the door, I show them the appointment letter. The guard then asked for wife's ID, my passport, and the baby's birth certificate.

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know you need to wait 2-3 weeks for the passport. how about the birth abroad certificate? how long does that take?

Sorry, I don't know anything about a birth aboard certifcate ? I think your Chinese birth Certifcate is prove of birth abroad.

Fogot to add, they took my English translation for the Chinese birth certificate. I kind of want it back and will ask for it when I get the passport next week.

Documenting a Child Born Abroad Who Acquires U.S. Citizenship at Birth - http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/ne...gistration.html (GUZ)

The American parents of a child born in China should report the birth to the Consulate General. The Consulate General will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), and a U.S. passport, which will be needed for the child to depart China. The Report of Birth Abroad may be used as a birth certificate for school, work, or other purposes.

When you apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you will also be able to apply for a Social Security number at the same time. The number will be mailed to you approximately four months after registration.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks for informing me. I thought a baby's passport was the only thing needed to exit China. Does the baby's also need some kind of exit visa from the public security bureau on passport.

There is no record of entry into China, so yes, you need an exit visa, which is actually a separate piece of paper.

Your child, as the child of an American citizen, is entitled to citizenship and an American passport. He/she may need an (Chinese) exit visa in order to leave China.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/ne...gistration.html

Please note, as soon as a U.S. passport is issued, the baby's parents must apply for a Chinese visa to ensure that they don't have problems leaving the country. However, if one parent of the child is a Chinese citizen and the child was born in China, the Chinese government may consider the child a Chinese citizen. In that case, the child will have to obtain a Chinese passport before leaving the country. The child will still be a U.S. citizen and should always use his/her U.S. passport for international travel after departing China. Please contact the exit and entry administration office of the local Public Security Bureau for more information.

The Dept. of State has this to say about that:
China considers a child born within its borders to hold Chinese citizenship if one parent is a Chinese national, even if the child applies for and receives a U.S. passport while in China. In these cases, when parents want to travel overseas with their child, they should contact their local Public Security Bureau for information on obtaining a travel document (lu xing zheng).

Note that the phrase "Chinese passport" usually refers to the exit visa. Check with your
PSB
office for details - they will know EXACTLY what is required.

Documenting a Child Born Abroad Who Acquires U.S. Citizenship at Birth - http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/ne...gistration.html (GUZ)

The American parents of a child born in China should report the birth to the Consulate General. The Consulate General will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240), and a U.S. passport, which will be needed for the child to depart China. The Report of Birth Abroad may be used as a birth certificate for school, work, or other purposes.

When you apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you will also be able to apply for a Social Security number at the same time. The number will be mailed to you approximately four months after registration.

in the above link it stated: " There is a fee of $85 USD for a passport and $65 USD for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad."

so william, when you go to register your baby in the us embassy in guangzhou, did you get the report of birth abroad (fs-240) yet? if not, how long do you have to wait?

Edited by seafood10 (see edit history)

i know you need to wait 2-3 weeks for the passport. how about the birth abroad certificate? how long does that take?

Sorry, I don't know anything about a birth aboard certifcate ? I think your Chinese birth Certifcate is prove of birth abroad.

Fogot to add, they took my English translation for the Chinese birth certificate. I kind of want it back and will ask for it when I get the passport next week.

the whole point of going to guangzhou embassy is to register the baby birth abroad and to get that certificate. like randy w said, you can use that certificate so when the child comes to the usa, it can be used as birth certificate for school and work. if you didn't get it, you better go back and ask them when you will get that certificate.

the whole point of going to guangzhou embassy is to register the baby birth abroad and to get that certificate. like randy w said, you can use that certificate so when the child comes to the usa, it can be used as birth certificate for school and work. if you didn't get it, you better go back and ask them when you will get that certificate.

All documents must be originals or certified copies of the original. The fee for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is US$100.

If the child’s U.S. Citizenship is established, a U.S. passport can be issued to the child upon application. The fee for a minor’s passport is US$105.

From website

I forgot about this extra Certificate or FS-240, sorry. I beleive the Birth of Abroad Certificate will be issue at the same time when I get the baby's passport. It's two things. Total cost was $205 for both which I paid on the appointment date.

hey william, on the passport application it gives you 3 options: u.s. passport book, us passport card, or both?

which one did you decide to get? if you apply both, is the cost the same as just getting the u.s. passport book or more? if more, how much?

I only requested the US passport. I didn't know anything about a us passport card. Cost for passport book was 105 USD.

Tomorrow is my appt. It is at 8:30 am. They said ppl start lining up outside at 7 am already. Do we need to wait in line with those ppl or we can skip them? If we can skip them, do we just tell the guard we are here just for birth abroad certificate and they will let us skip all those ppl and go straight to 5th fl.?

Tomorrow is my appt. It is at 8:30 am. They said ppl start lining up outside at 7 am already. Do we need to wait in line with those ppl or we can skip them? If we can skip them, do we just tell the guard we are here just for birth abroad certificate and they will let us skip all those ppl and go straight to 5th fl.?

Just walk up the the 5th floor and show them everything. No need to get in line if you are an American Citizen. I didn't.

After 3 weeks I returned for the Birth of Abroad Certificate and passport. I asked the lady about the next steps leaving China with a baby. She was a Chinese lady who spoke English OK but I could tell she wasn't a native speaker under 30. She told me something I was a little suprised to hea. The baby is a Chinese Citizen and needs a Chinese passport. She asked my email addresss so she can email the instructions. She never email me the instructions and it's after 6 days now. I search the web for information and so did my wife. I also asked another person. He said it's not neccessary for a Chinese passport. My wife said if it's true, it is a big big hassel to register the baby at her home town in some kind "red book". I now believe she didn't give me the real information from my questions

From the us embassy website this is what I got:

"In order for American Citizne Children born in China to exit the country, approproate travel documents must be obtained after a Consilar Report of

Birth Abroad and a US passport are issued by the US Consulate/Embassy".

Just walk up the the 5th floor and show them everything. No need to get in line if you are an American Citizen. I didn't.

After 3 weeks I returned for the Birth of Abroad Certificate and passport. I asked the lady about the next steps leaving China with a baby. She was a Chinese lady who spoke English OK but I could tell she wasn't a native speaker under 30. She told me something I was a little suprised to hea. The baby is a Chinese Citizen and needs a Chinese passport. She asked my email addresss so she can email the instructions. She never email me the instructions and it's after 6 days now. I search the web for information and so did my wife. I also asked another person. He said it's not neccessary for a Chinese passport. My wife said if it's true, it is a big big hassel to register the baby at her home town in some kind "red book". I now believe she didn't give me the real information from my questions

From the us embassy website this is what I got:

"In order for American Citizne Children born in China to exit the country, approproate travel documents must be obtained after a Consilar Report of

Birth Abroad and a US passport are issued by the US Consulate/Embassy".

The "Chinese passport" referred to is almost always going to be simply the exit visa - which will be a separate piece of paper.

Go to your PSB. They will know EXACTLY what you need.

The reason you need one is that the baby won't have an entrance stamp in his (American) passport.

http://candleforlove...post__p__592323

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

after 1 week, my baby birth abroad and usa passport is ready to be picked. but i have returned back to the states. so my wife will pick it up on monday.

my wife asked about the exit visa from her psb and they have no ideas what she is talking about. william lee, please report back if you are able to pick up the exit visa for your baby from the psb. also what the exit visa looks like? thx.