Simplified or Traditional Chinese for a name on birth Certificate

I just got a son a few weeks ago. On the Chinese birth Certificate the name will be in Chinese characters. Will get the certificate in 42 days. My wife tried to use an English name ( or pinyu ) but was told it was not possible or they didn't want to do it for her.

I think it's better to used a traditional version of the name over the simplified version for my case. For my Chinese last name, I am using traditional. The name of my son will be simplified.

When applying registering a birth aboard at the US Embassy, I HOPE there is no problem entering a English name that is NOT the same as the birth certificate in Chinese ? I also see a possible problem with seeing the last name that is different. For example, Wong and Hwang. The last name don't match and I am enter a English name and not a name in pinyu. BTW, Wong / Hwang is not my last name.

I don't think there are big things or major problems but any comments or suggestions.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a son a few weeks ago. On the Chinese birth Certificate the name will be in Chinese characters. Will get the certificate in 42 days. My wife tried to use an English name ( or pinyu ) but was told it was not possible or they didn't want to do it for her.

I think it's better to used a traditional version of the name over the simplified version for my case. For my Chinese last name, I am using traditional. The name of my son will be simplified.

When applying registering a birth aboard at the US Embassy, I HOPE there is no problem entering a English name that is NOT the same as the birth certificate in Chinese ? I also see a possible problem with seeing the last name that is different. For example, Wong and Hwang. The last name don't match and I am enter a English name and not a name in pinyu. BTW, Wong / Hwang is not my last name.

I don't think there are big things or major problems but any comments or suggestions.

These are the same Chinese characters, but different dialects, no? (e.g., Mandarin and Cantonese). The consulate would be used to this, so I doubt you'd have an issue there. Many names are different in Cantonese vs. Mandarin from the same Chinese characters.

The simplified character set is the standard one for mainland China. I don't really see a question or an issue here.

Will they even accept traditional characters on an official document on the Mainland? I know my wife has trouble even reading traditional characters as all she ever learned was simplified.

Have you reviewed the Consualr Record of Birth Abroad application? I would think you would have to write's your son's name in Pinyin and you can spell it whatever way you wish.

Will they even accept traditional characters on an official document on the Mainland? I know my wife has trouble even reading traditional characters as all she ever learned was simplified.

Have you reviewed the Consualr Record of Birth Abroad application? I would think you would have to write's your son's name in Pinyin and you can spell it whatever way you wish.

Ah, pinyin is Mandarin - not required. Huang is probably Yale, or other. One thing about the Chinese languages - everyone's got more than one name, depending on which dialect it's spoken in.

My son has a Chinese name with Chinese Characters now. I am planning to leave out the Chinese Characters and the pinyu name. When registering a birth aboard at the US embassy, I am entering an English name for first, an English name for middle, and a traditional name for last.

The problem I might see is the Chinese characters and in pinyu with the English names don't match.

From what you are saying, It looks like it's does NOT matter what name I write on for birth aboard at the embassy.

William Lee: please let us know if you are able to use an English name when you register for the birth certifcate at the us consulate in guangzhou. I'm in the same situation as you and will go back in Oct. to register my baby name. My wife was told the same thing. She can't use English for the birth certificate in china. So when i register for the baby at the us consulate, can i give my baby a english name then or do i need to use whatever chinese name my wife gave?

btw, when are you going to us consulate to register your baby name?

also you mentioned it takes 42 days to get the chinese birth certificate? how sure are you on this? my wife told me it only takes 1-2 weeks.

Edited by seafood10 (see edit history)

just an update. spoke with my laopo yesterday and she went to the hospital to register the baby name and since i'm not there, they said the baby last name will be under her last name. i can't say i'm too happy about that.

i'm also looking at the consular abroad application and it said to use the exact chinese name of the baby on the application from the chinese birth certificate. i don't see where you can change the baby name to the english name that you want.

now that my baby is under my wife last name and i dont see it anywhere to change my baby to an english name i'm kinda worry. i want an english name and my last name on the application. i dont know if they allow this?

also, ed: what kind of proof are you bringing with you to the us embassy beside your passport to register your baby name?

i'm eagerly waiting for your answer or anyone who can also help me?

Edited by seafood10 (see edit history)

just an update. spoke with my laopo yesterday and she went to the hospital to register the baby name and since i'm not there, they said the baby last name will be under her last name. i can't say i'm too happy about that.

i'm also looking at the consular abroad application and it said to use the exact chinese name of the baby on the application from the chinese birth certificate. i don't see where you can change the baby name to the english name that you want.

now that my baby is under my wife last name and i dont see it anywhere to change my baby to an english name i'm kinda worry. i want an english name and my last name on the application. i dont know if they allow this?

also, ed: what kind of proof are you bringing with you to the us embassy beside your passport to register your baby name?

I also read the embassy website. The names must be exact. For us, the birth certificate is after 42 days. I also hope it's not an issue. I will be going to the embassy the middle of Sept. I will give an update afterwards..

Seafood when exactly you be in China ? I am in Southern China now.

william lee: i haven't make an appt. with the embassy yet. but i will fly back in oct. 6th. since baby is not under my last name and when my lao po go to the interview in guangzhou and u know how these nazi officer interview her, do you think they say the baby is not from your husband.

my question is i want to do a dna test to remove all doubts, do you think i should? and how much would this cost and which hospital should we do it at? do we need to notarized medical documents also? i want my wife to have all the necessary docs during her interview.

william lee: i haven't make an appt. with the embassy yet. but i will fly back in oct. 6th. since baby is not under my last name and when my lao po go to the interview in guangzhou and u know how these nazi officer interview her, do you think they say the baby is not from your husband.

my question is i want to do a dna test to remove all doubts, do you think i should? and how much would this cost and which hospital should we do it at? do we need to notarized medical documents also? i want my wife to have all the necessary docs during her interview.

You will need to wait for the consulate to order a DNA test, if they do so. But they are MUCH more aware of how things work in China than you give them credit for - it's doubtful that you would have a problem there.

The medical forms will be given to your wife in a sealed envelope to give to the consulate at the document intake.

You will need to wait for the consulate to order a DNA test, if they do so. But they are MUCH more aware of how things work in China than you give them credit for - it's doubtful that you would have a problem there.

The medical forms will be given to your wife in a sealed envelope to give to the consulate at the document intake.

i will be back in oct. for 2 weeks only to take care of some personal business and register the baby abroad in guangzhou us embassy. i think my wife will have her interview in nov/dec. so if possible, i dont want to waste money flying back in nov/dec again.

so when i fly back in oct. i want to do the dna test if possible.

i will be back in oct. for 2 weeks only to take care of some personal business and register the baby abroad in guangzhou us embassy. i think my wife will have her interview in nov/dec. so if possible, i dont want to waste money flying back in nov/dec again.

so when i fly back in oct. i want to do the dna test if possible.

You would need to talk to the consulate about that, but my understanding is that they would only accept one that they ordered.

I would also expect that they would NOT order one.

I hope you kept and receipts from the hospital. We kept majority of the receipts from her first checkup to birth. We just came back from the hospital for some baby shots.I demanded and told my wife the hospital to put my English name on all receipts each time. So the receipts have both our names.

For DNA testing in China, I believe it's only required if there is something funny. I don't believe it's required for most case. Yes, like Randy W said, wait and see. Something funny is like a mix marriage and there is a Chinese baby in front of the officer. The baby should look mixed but is not, might be a concern. The age and timing is wrong and the last time you were in China was 11 months ago. I recall reading for other countries it's required. You two were not married when you had the baby in China, might required a DNA test.

For sure, a different father's name on one of the receipts will cause a red flag.

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)

I hope you kept and receipts from the hospital. We kept majority of the receipts from her first checkup to birth. We just came back from the hospital for some baby shots.I demanded and told my wife the hospital to put my English name on all receipts each time. So the receipts have both our names.

For DNA testing in China, I believe it's only required if there is something funny. I don't believe it's required for most case. Yes, like Randy W said, wait and see. Something funny is like a mix marriage and there is a Chinese baby in front of the officer. The baby should look mixed but is not, might be a concern. The age and timing is wrong and the last time you were in China was 11 months ago. I recall reading for other countries it's required. You two were not married when you had the baby in China, might required a DNA test.

For sure, a different father's name on one of the receipts will cause a red flag.

that's why is it important for the name change to my last name and and english name when i register for the baby born abroad certficate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello seafood10 some replies to your PM.

1. when are you planning to go to the us embassy in guangzhou?

I was there on Thursday, Sept 13.

2. on the birth abroad application, when it asks for baby name, are you putting an English name or Chinese name for the baby? and how about the last name, are you using the same exact spelling as your last name (i.e. for example, there are different spelling of wong = wang, leung = liang, chan = chen = cheng). so if one of those last name you have, are you putting your spelling or you letting the embassy decide?

In the translation of the birth certificate, I requested the Traditional form of Chinese my last name only. They said it wasn't a problem. It cost me 80rmb for the translation.

3. for proof of residence of the us, what evidence are you taking with you? are you taking just your most recent passport plus your old one? or you taking more, like phone bills, credit card statements etc.

I was born in the USA, so there was really an issue. You have show them your current passport. I did tell them I have my first issued passport from years ago. After telling her, she said she would like to see the passport. On one forum, I just put my "date of birth to present".

4. so any update on your baby name? were you able to give the baby English name like you wanted? if yes, on which application did you put it in? did you put in form ds-2029 or ds-5507 or both? please let me know. thx.

Yes, no problem see below. had to sign something.

Summary:

After 42 days of waiting, we were able to go to the hospital to get the birth Certificate. Found out each hospital is different time for waiting. The baby's name was in Simplified Chinese like everything else on the birth Certificate. There was some English for translation. ie "date of birth" is in English letters and Simplified Chinese Charters. When they tried to put my English name, it was too long. My FULL name could not fit on the Certificate. They had call a computer programmer to adjust the field length longer. I had to wait a few hours. Told them they have to rush because we made an appointment the next day at the Embassy.

Rushed to a place where they translation documents from Chinese to English and the other way around. They translated the Chinese Characters into Pinyin and Chinese to English. The translation doesn't need to be certified. If a certification is needed, it cost more, and 4-5 more days. Told them I would like baby's last name to be Traditional since my last name was in Traditional forum. Both last names mush match up and they said it wasn't a problem. Everything else didn't matter. The translation was done in 1 hour. Cost was 80 rmb.

There are 3 forums I believe and I put the baby's full English name plus middle on ds-2029, ds-5507 and passport application.

After giveing all the documents at window 35, we waiting about 3 hours to get called. Another lady went over the documents again. She gave me a document later to fill out and sign. I had to put down the original baby's name in Pinyin, date of birth and what I want to CHANGE it too. ( ie ENGLISH NAME ) This name in English will be the name on the passport.

Have to go back in 2-3 weeks to get passport at Embassy. You can ask someone else to pick it up but you need the receipt and signed a paper.

-- edited typo by request of W.L. -- david_dawei

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)