Here are the costs breakdowns, visa petition filing to green-card..

I-130 CR-1

• I-130 $420
  • DS-230 $230
  • I-864 (IF I-130 is filed in the USA) $88
  • Total $650 DCF, $738 if filed petition in the USA

I-129F K1

• I-129F $340
  • K-Visa fee at Consulate $240 each
  • I-485 fee for green cards after marriage $1070
  • Total $1650 for K-1

I-130 + I-129F K3

• I-130 $420 each
  • I-129F (No charge)
  • Petitions reach NVC
  • Takes the K-3 path, if somehow I-129F is separated and approved before I-130 at USCIS
    • K-Visa fee at Consulate $240.
    • I-485 $1070 to adjust status after arriving on a K-3
    • Total $1730

[*]Takes the CR-1 path if USCIS sends both CR-1 and K-Visa petitions to NVC

• DS-230 $230
    • I-864 $88
    • Total $738

I did not add costs for Medical, Vaccinations and Postage, it is essentially the same in any case.

Timings,

CR-1

• 9-12 months if petitions are filed in the USA
  • 3-4 months if petitions are filed in China

K-1

• 9-10 months petitions must be filed in the USA

K-3

• 9-12 months a CR-1 I-130 petitions need to be filed first in the USA followed by filing an I-129F for the K-3.
  • What happens next is the USCIS ties the spouse visa petition to the I-129F, then process together, and in the vast majority of cases they approve the I-130 at the same time as I-129F and mail both together to NVC where NVC closes the I-129F (K-Visas) and proceeds with the I-130 petitions. (The reason the K-3 exist as an option has to do with a problem that existed 8-10 years ago where it was taking a very long time for USCIS to process I-130 petitions, the K-3 was offered as an option for a married couple to be reunited while waiting for the I-130 to be approved, after which they could either return to home country and interview for the spouse visa, or could then adjust status in the USA. Since USCIS is approving the I-130 BEFORE K-3 would be issued, the whole reason for K-3 no longer exists, (WAITING for I-130 approval))

Essentially a K-1 is about $1000 more in fees from petition filing to getting a green-card to live permanently in the USA.

Spouse visa (CR-1)

Pros:

• Lower cost in fees.
  • Instant green-card upon arrival in the USA
  • Able to work and travel based on the immediate green-card

Cons:

• If Denied at consulate will require more work to overturn the decision.
  • If step child involved that is age 18 or older at time of marriage then would not be able to apply for a separate visa for step-child, child will remain behind until biological parent is in the USA and has green-card at which time parent files petition for child, process then takes years to get visa for step child.
  • Slightly longer visa processing (1 to 1.5 months)
  • Added trip is needed to get married, if already met within the past 2 years and are currently in the USA,

K-1 Fiancee

Pros:

• Slightly quicker process, perhaps by a month.
  • If there is a child involved (possible K-2) if child is older than age 18 but less than 20, the K-1/K-2 is the only way to bring step child to the USA.
  • If already met within past 2 years can file now
  • if denied the visa, many simply travel to China and get married and answer the denial letter, and file a new spouse visa petition.

Cons:

• Much higher cost to get to green-card
  • Unable to work or travel until after marriage and waiting for green-card, during processing of green-card app can apply for a work permit and travel document for use while waiting on green-card process.
  • Unable to apply for a driving permit until having work permit and SSN, or green-card and SSN

• Like 1

Here are the costs breakdowns, visa petition filing to green-card..

I-130 CR-1

• I-130 $420
  • DS-230 $230
  • I-864 (IF I-130 is filed in the USA) $88
  • Total $650 DCF, $738 if filed petition in the USA

I-129F K1

• I-129F $340
  • K-Visa fee at Consulate $240 each
  • I-485 fee for green cards after marriage $1070
  • Total $1650 for K-1

I-130 + I-129F K3

• I-130 $420 each
  • I-129F (No charge)
  • Petitions reach NVC
  • Takes the K-3 path, if somehow I-129F is separated and approved before I-130 at USCIS
    • K-Visa fee at Consulate $240.
    • I-485 $1070 to adjust status after arriving on a K-3
    • Total $1730

[*]Takes the CR-1 path if USCIS sends both CR-1 and K-Visa petitions to NVC

• DS-230 $230
    • I-864 $88
    • Total $738

I did not add costs for Medical, Vaccinations and Postage, it is essentially the same in any case.

Timings,

CR-1

• 9-12 months if petitions are filed in the USA
  • 3-4 months if petitions are filed in China

K-1

• 9-10 months petitions must be filed in the USA

K-3

• 9-12 months a CR-1 I-130 petitions need to be filed first in the USA followed by filing an I-129F for the K-3.
  • What happens next is the USCIS ties the spouse visa petition to the I-129F, then process together, and in the vast majority of cases they approve the I-130 at the same time as I-129F and mail both together to NVC where NVC closes the I-129F (K-Visas) and proceeds with the I-130 petitions. (The reason the K-3 exist as an option has to do with a problem that existed 8-10 years ago where it was taking a very long time for USCIS to process I-130 petitions, the K-3 was offered as an option for a married couple to be reunited while waiting for the I-130 to be approved, after which they could either return to home country and interview for the spouse visa, or could then adjust status in the USA. Since USCIS is approving the I-130 BEFORE K-3 would be issued, the whole reason for K-3 no longer exists, (WAITING for I-130 approval))

Essentially a K-1 is about $1000 more in fees from petition filing to getting a green-card to live permanently in the USA.

Spouse visa (CR-1)

Pros:

• Lower cost in fees.
  • Instant green-card upon arrival in the USA
  • Able to work and travel based on the immediate green-card

Cons:

• If Denied at consulate will require more work to overturn the decision.
  • If step child involved that is age 18 or older at time of marriage then would not be able to apply for a separate visa for step-child, child will remain behind until biological parent is in the USA and has green-card at which time parent files petition for child, process then takes years to get visa for step child.
  • Slightly longer visa processing (1 to 1.5 months)
  • Added trip is needed to get married, if already met within the past 2 years and are currently in the USA,

K-1 Fiancee

Pros:

• Slightly quicker process, perhaps by a month.
  • If there is a child involved (possible K-2) if child is older than age 18 but less than 20, the K-1/K-2 is the only way to bring step child to the USA.
  • If already met within past 2 years can file now
  • if denied the visa, many simply travel to China and get married and answer the denial letter, and file a new spouse visa petition.

Cons:

• Much higher cost to get to green-card
  • Unable to work or travel until after marriage and waiting for green-card, during processing of green-card app can apply for a work permit and travel document for use while waiting on green-card process.
  • Unable to apply for a driving permit until having work permit and SSN, or green-card and SSN

Good God Dan, you is the man. Four and a half years of nothing but intense research and maticulous planning and I can't even remember half the stuff I filed, much less the prices....LOL

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Good God Dan, you is the man. Four and a half years of nothing but intense research and maticulous planning and I can't even remember half the stuff I filed, much less the prices....LOL

tsap seui

Mostly a copy paste job, fees actually are lower by $100 at the DoS stage than they were not long ago, so had to do a re-calc.

And yep you had the K-1 (Pro scenario) of denied K-1 to marriage and eventually an approved spouse visa.

What is this 3-4 months if petitions are filled in China for CR-1? I mean so a feller can go over and get married, file everything there, come home and bingo, an interview 3-4 months later for her and child? Then she can be here in say 4 months, if all goes well?????

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

What is this 3-4 months if petitions are filled in China for CR-1? I mean so a feller can go over and get married, file everything there, come home and bingo, an interview 3-4 months later for her and child? Then she can be here in say 4 months, if all goes well?????

Has to do with a person who has residency in China as in working in China, if they married and have had residency in China for around 6 months then can file the I-130 to the USCIS office in Guangzhou or Beijing instead of mailing the petition to USCIS in the USA.

This is what is called DCF (Direct Consulate Filing).

MORE: http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/homeland_security.html

Has to do with a person who has residency in China as in working in China, if they married and have had residency in China for around 6 months then can file the I-130 to the USCIS office in Guangzhou or Beijing instead of mailing the petition to USCIS in the USA.

This is what is called DCF (Direct Consulate Filing).

MORE: http://beijing.usemb...d_security.html

Well, SHUCKS!!!!!! :mellow:

Well back in the day, wasn't the DCF folks given a different visa designation than CR-1? I guess things change or memory slips. All good info though.

If a member of "the party", for work advancement purposes only since she is a civil servant over there, I wonder if I need to consider K-1, then see about CR-1 if rejected. Ahhhh, that shows fear. I guess I plow ahead with CR-1 appraoch then.

Well back in the day, wasn't the DCF folks given a different visa designation than CR-1? I guess things change or memory slips. All good info though.

If a member of "the party", for work advancement purposes only since she is a civil servant over there, I wonder if I need to consider K-1, then see about CR-1 if rejected. Ahhhh, that shows fear. I guess I plow ahead with CR-1 appraoch then.

Either way the visa is designated CR-1 or IR-1 (CR-1 is issued to those married less than 2 years, IR-1 is issued to those married 2 years or more)

CCP is not cause for an outright denial of visa, just added processing after interview. Only CCP that would cause a full denial would be active party members (Politicians)

If you feel you have developed a strong relationship go for the CR-1, if you feel a red-flag is too strong and have a possible denial then K-1.

If were me doing this again I would build a good relationship and do a CR-1, the marriage also may look like a stronger commitment, IMO.

Either way the visa is designated CR-1 or IR-1 (CR-1 is issued to those married less than 2 years, IR-1 is issued to those married 2 years or more)

CCP is not cause for an outright denial of visa, just added processing after interview. Only CCP that would cause a full denial would be active party members (Politicians)

If you feel you have developed a strong relationship go for the CR-1, if you feel a red-flag is too strong and have a possible denial then K-1.

If were me doing this again I would build a good relationship and do a CR-1, the marriage also may look like a stronger commitment, IMO.

Yep doing the marriage thing.........can't believe it, but dang glad I met her, whew. And hope I never lose her. Too good!!!!!!!!!

I like this thread. put it in my favorite folder for immigration.

THANKS!!!