Affidavit of Support - How Long am I liable?

But no, Dan - I believe you're limited to four quarters of credit every year, so it will ALWAYS take 10 years to accumulate 40 credits.

SSA says "Worker(s) are credited" so not sure if that is for individuals or in total for all that qualify to add credit together. That may need a lawyer and judge to interpret or further research.

But no, Dan - I believe you're limited to four quarters of credit every year, so it will ALWAYS take 10 years to accumulate 40 credits.

SSA says "Worker(s) are credited" so not sure if that is for individuals or in total for all that qualify to add credit together. That may need a lawyer and judge to interpret or further research.

No - it's defined, (it's not a new concept by any means) but I don't remember where. The SSA site seems much more difficult to search now.

No - it's defined, (it's not a new concept by any means) but I don't remember where. The SSA site seems much more difficult to search now.

From the Dept. of State memo I quoted earlier

13. THE FOLLOWING ARE EXAMPLES OF SPONSORED ALIENS WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM THE 40 QUARTERS POLICY:

. . .

-- AN ALIEN WHO ENTERED THE UNITED STATES ON AN 0-1 VISA (ALIEN WITH EXTRAORDINARY ABILITY IN SCIENCES, ARTS, EDUCATION, BUSINESS, OR ATHLETICS), ALONG WITH A SPOUSE WHO ALSO HELD AN 0-1 VISA, BOTH OF WHOM WORKED FOR FIVE YEARS, EARNING A TOTAL OF 40 QUARTERS SSA COVERAGE BETWEEN THEM.

So five years is the minimum time to earn 10 years of credits - you're right!

Gonna add a link to this tread in the notable of the FAQ thread, no sense doing this digging again.

So five years is the minimum time to earn 10 years of credits - you're right!

Kind of what I thought and my interpretation of the I-864W when including or using work credited before adjusting status, showing adding work credits of both spouses while married. If add up to 40 hrs, then could file the I-864W waiving requirement.

I divorced back in 2009 (an extremely unfortunate situation) and have since lost all contact with my previous "better half." I believe she got her permanent green card, and I think she is still in America. I continued living at our previous place until returning to China in 2010. My residence of domicile in the US is currently my parents place in Wisconsin. After returning to China, I unfortunately never submitted the I-865 for my change of residence.

1) Even though it is 2 years late, should I submit the change of residence form at this juncture?

2) As my official residence of domicile is in Wisconsin, I should mail it to the Nebraska center, even though I'd be mailing the document from here in China, correct?

3) Technically, would I have one change of address to make: a ) personal home - parent's home, or, two changes of address to make: b ) personal home - parent's home - current Beijing residence???

I have been with my current lady here in Beijing for 2 years now, and I think in the coming months we will file for DCF, and I would hate for this to cause me any problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dan

I divorced back in 2009 (an extremely unfortunate situation) and have since lost all contact with my previous "better half." I believe she got her permanent green card, and I think she is still in America. I continued living at our previous place until returning to China in 2010. My residence of domicile in the US is currently my parents place in Wisconsin. After returning to China, I unfortunately never submitted the I-865 for my change of residence.

1) Even though it is 2 years late, should I submit the change of residence form at this juncture?

2) As my official residence of domicile is in Wisconsin, I should mail it to the Nebraska center, even though I'd be mailing the document from here in China, correct?

3) Technically, would I have one change of address to make: a ) personal home - parent's home, or, two changes of address to make: b ) personal home - parent's home - current Beijing residence???

I have been with my current lady here in Beijing for 2 years now, and I think in the coming months we will file for DCF, and I would hate for this to cause me any problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dan

Well, Sheriff Joe may have some questions for you, but I think as long as they're not looking for you, there won't be any repercussions.

I say just mail in the current one - skip the others - and don't worry about it.

Dan'll say if he's heard of any issues over on VJ.

Hey Randy,

Thanks a bunch - definitely somewhat reassuring. Yes, I know there will probably be some explaining to do (shortly after getting to the US and marrying, discovered she was cheating on me with a new and more affluent fellow she recently met), but yes, definitely, they're not looking for me and I've always done everything by the book - until realizing this mistake.

When you say mail in "the current one," do you mean just mail in the form with my current residence in Beijing?

Thanks!

Dan

Hey Randy,

Thanks a bunch - definitely somewhat reassuring. Yes, I know there will probably be some explaining to do (shortly after getting to the US and marrying, discovered she was cheating on me with a new and more affluent fellow she recently met), but yes, definitely, they're not looking for me and I've always done everything by the book - until realizing this mistake.

When you say mail in "the current one," do you mean just mail in the form with my current residence in Beijing?

Thanks!

Dan

It should show your current mailing address - I have a mailbox in New York I'm using for that purpose.

Hey Randy,

Thanks!

Dan

It should show your current mailing address - I have a mailbox in New York I'm using for that purpose.

Ok, I'll just send in the form then with my parents address in Wisconsin.

Thanks Randy!!

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question: after I submit the I-865, will there be any confirmation or acknowledgement sent to my new mailing address? Or after I send in the I-865 is that it and I will not receive any acknowledgement or other mailing?

Anybody know or send an I-865 change of address form in lately?

Thanks!

dan

I have moved twice in the past year and submitted the I-865 twice and have gotten a Notice of Action twice confirming the address changes. As has been noted before this can only be done thru the mail though I was able to change my wife's address as an immigrant online. We received no confirmation for her though I think the web site might give you an opportunity to print out the confirmation. I didn't bother as I would never be able to find the paper anyway.

I have moved twice in the past year and submitted the I-865 twice and have gotten a Notice of Action twice confirming the address changes. As has been noted before this can only be done thru the mail though I was able to change my wife's address as an immigrant online. We received no confirmation for her though I think the web site might give you an opportunity to print out the confirmation. I didn't bother as I would never be able to find the paper anyway.

Thanks Beachy!