New Trip, New China, for me anyway...

OK, so I will post this over hear as well. I love Delta Airlines after this trip, but summertime near water sucks..

Took a little trip to China, like I promised myself but much sooner than originally planned and for a much different purpose. I had never been to Shanghai, never care to again actually. The Heat and HUMIDITY was like I have never known. I am a Southern boy but that place was unbearable. I didn’t see anything really pretty either and the people didn’t seem happy, but then who would? I tried to tour the next day but cut it short and got out of the place. Had to return to leave and got a pounding sinus headache. A new pill I discovered took that out overnight, with A/C on.

I would fly Delta anytime over there now. http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/plane.gif The cheap seats are very comfortable and when reclined the bottom scoots forward and does not bother my back. They have enough leg room on their 777-200s to make a 13+ hour flight bearable and I felt good after. There are plenty of free documentaries and movies that keep you busy when not sleeping. Food was good if going into China, but if going into Japan it sucked as bad as most all Japanese food does, IMHO. I got a $500 offer, I accepted going over, to go to Tokyo first, but flew back direct from Shanghai to Detroit. Detroit has the skinniest runways I ever landed on, but it worked. Now if a feller were tired and liked Asian girls, Japan would be a fine stopping point, but I flew on of course. Besides I am just too tall for Japan and the food, YUCK.

I love the new Chinese trains. If they really go 185mph you don’t feel it getting to speed or slowing down, smoother than a jet ride actually. But they do need SOMETHING to connect train stations with airports!!!

The cities going into the interior from there are very nice, clean and new. The sidewalks are much smaller than Beijing, and that works for these places. But the people are relaxed and HAPPY compared to Shanghai and Beijing. Folks seem to know each other in neighborhoods and are very friendly. A girl working in the hotel breakfast bar I ate at everyday stopped when she saw me in the barbershop and sat down beside me briefly to say hello. One of the barbers was very friendly as well as an old man who surprised me he knew English so well for his age. These smaller cities are perhaps a perfect life. http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/gathering.gif This whole area seems very new. People still get outside in the evenings and dance and play sports and have family time. Kids can walk around by themselves without fear. So nice.

My favorite the bicycle taxi not seen this trip, but then I am where I have never been before, is that the reason or everything is just too modern now? Few bicycle riders at all, and even fewer pedestrians any time of day. I saw maybe 2-3 gas powered scooters or motorbikes, whereas last time they were everywhere, what happened? I saw hordes of electric scooters, 3 wheel carts, and other various. Some have removable batteries to take in house for recharge. Most people were driving cars and I never saw a bad traffic jam like I did in Beijing 7 years ago. It is so nice to almost never see a cop. No harassing of the public like we have accepted here in the USA with all the nitpicking we endure.

OK I am officially initiated Chinese now. I found myself in a situation where I HAD to use a floor toilet. Where would a thread from me be without a bathroom experience? Anyway, Metformin and Chinese food don’t mix. Besides blood pressure and blood sugar all normal with no meds the whole visit. So I dropped the Met, but before everything cleared I had an urgent need. Thank goodness it was clean, as I practically undressed for this experience. Working on 2 bombers in life must have prepared me, though. My squatting left a lot to be desired so high altitude targeting was PERFECT and hit dead center. Had a package of paper and sure felt better. You know one feels very proud of themselves after accomplishing something that they swore would never be attempted. I can do it.

My favorite restaurant was a little food place in a sort of dinky mall. It was a hot skillet with an egg, a steak, and boiled dumplings that fried on the plate giving it a crispy texture like I like. It tasted perfect and not too much.

OK so I walked miles every day soaking myself from the heat and humidity, but rain came and made life bearable. This trip I decided to be fashionable as you can see. Color coordinated no? (Ooops this pic won't post, working on it, later) I lost maybe 5-7 pounds but got much stronger in the process. Back home I can tell the difference walking inside the mile long customer factory, and up and down the stairs. People who know me see I am happier and healthier looking. http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/handy.gif

This wasn’t the grand tour I had planned for this summer, but that pales in comparison. It was sure healthy and very worth it. I needed it and getting away from the stress of work and friends and family was great. Besides my 2 kids were traveling July 4 , my cousin up the street already had his summer pool party http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/fam21.gif , and my B-day was coming up, so I got the heck out of here. The food was GREAT as always. I tried new things too. Like I said in 2000 and 2002 though, one needed to hurry back then to see China before it changed. Well it has changed, a lot, but I like it. Things are still cheaper as a vacation, except maybe the plane tickets at the last minute, but if you like China it is a real treat.

PS: Maybe those freezing winter visits I made to China wasn't so bad after all though http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/cold.gif .

Oh, if I had one criticism it would be the one hospital I visited. It was really filthy. You know the floor was even dingy along the edges and out. I can sweep and mop a floor better than that. People have cleaner houses and streets compared to this one. Not sure why they don't raise hell about it. The hospital I saw in Beijing was nice, but not this place. So finally I have seen what some of you have reported.

I miss our old Don. He was right, I should return to China, but maybe not to live I think. When I retire, if ever, maybe.

Wow Doug, great write-up, man. Glad to see you went back over to tiny hiney land and to hear your observations.

I can't take those southern cities with their heat and humidity....100 degrees and 100% just sap my energy and nothing is fun,,,LOL

Your story of hte smaller cities and epople getting together reminded me of my wife's hometown, Fushun. Although I never sat in with them it was heart touching to see whole families....many of them...hanging out together around small stands and eating and talking in the very early evening after the heat of the day had subsided some. A real hometown feel about it. So much laughter and togetherness, really cool to see.

I'm thrilled to read your travel observations, hope you will share some more of the travelog.

tsap seui

Doug, southern China's the only place I've been there except for a 24 hour layover in Beijing because we missed out flight to LA. Spent that time at the airport and/or the hotel that China Southern put us up in, but even in late may the heat was noticable.

ChunMei's from Nanning, so I've spent a fair amount of time there. May through October the weather's in the upper 80's to mid 90's, with the usual 100% humidity as expected. ChunMei's father says that this year it's been much warmer than normal, but we're also seeing that here in Colorado as well.

ChunMei's going back to China for two months in early September, and says she's not looking forward to the heat/humidity combination, even though she's lived there all of her life. I'll miss her very much, but she says her father's "really really happy" she's coming home for a while, and that makes it worth it for me because I like her father a lot.

ChunMeiiii's really taken to American food. Her favorites right now are hamburgers, steak cooked on our grill, and Krispy Kreme donuts. She's also decided the American idea of salad is the greatest thing she's ever seen. She's taking a couple of bottles of salad dressing back with her so she can introduce her family to it. She also wants to treat them to mashed potatoes.

Interestingly, she's told me that what she'll miss the most (aside from me) when she's back home is western-style toilets. She says she's really going to hate using the toilets in her family's homes. :rotfl:

Just bought tickets today to go back. I have to go through Tokyo outbound, which means I will hate the dang Jap crap food, but thats OK. I'll get to look at ore legs in the airport, and get Chinese on the way back with a direct flight. Going Delta agin with the 500 they gave me last time. Finally I will be on a long flight in a 747, outbound. I have been wanting that my whole life. It is a -400, hope the interior is worth it.

Nick I should wind up in Nanning this time.

Mr. Terlet Seat Twirler, I will report.

Have a good trip, Doug. I'd like to go over and spend a couple of weeks with ChunMeri's family while she's there, but I can't take the time off from work.

Aside from the climate I like Nanning a lot. It's called "The Green City" for a reason. There are a lot of beautiful parks, large and small, throughout the city. Qingxua Mountain Park, on the east side of the city is especially worth the trip. Renmin Park is also a lot of fun; it has a large amusement park there which is almost exactly like any large amusement park here in the US.

A decent western-style hotel is the Hawaii International Hotel. It's at No.81 Manzu Road. Decent rooms, decent prices, and breakfast buffet is included. And it's about 2 blocks from South Lake Park.

Just bought tickets today to go back. I have to go through Tokyo outbound, which means I will hate the dang Jap crap food, but thats OK. I'll get to look at ore legs in the airport, and get Chinese on the way back with a direct flight. Going Delta agin with the 500 they gave me last time. Finally I will be on a long flight in a 747, outbound. I have been wanting that my whole life. It is a -400, hope the interior is worth it.

Nick I should wind up in Nanning this time.

Mr. Terlet Seat Twirler, I will report.

Be interesting to hear your report on 747-400's Doug. I've flown on them various times for the 13 1/2 hour flights to China, and on the couple of hour longer flights to Sydney, Brisbane, and Auckland on my often made trips down under.

I found for myself that getting a seat on an outside aisle in the very back of the plane was the most comfortable when riding cattle section. Bathroom right there, easy to get up and walk the plane later in the flight.

Having flown many times on both the 400's and 777's, I'll stay mum now and await your feelings on both of them.

Have another good trip, want me to send you a spinning terlet seat rig with a nice strong ballhook to tapcon to various Chinese hotel ceilings? I'm sure you have a battery powered hammerdrill and are well aware of the blue tapcons.

LOL....although you never said anything about it, I'd hate to think you are just going to over to China with it's most beautiful in the world tiny hiney treasures and only taking in the cities, food, and sights while there. I mean shucks, no matter how clean or unclean the various cities in China are, in the end (to a country boy) they are nothing more than concrete canyons with folks living in tall birdcages all scrunched up together with not much of a view of anything other than their neighbors.

Ride-em cowboy and boner voyage you ol' world travelin' man...I hope you find what you seek, and seek what you find. Pretty excitin', eh?

tsap seui

Finally I will be on a long flight in a 747, outbound. I have been wanting that my whole life. It is a -400, hope the interior is worth

I flew to China on a Delta 747-400 2 years ago and I have specifically avoided doing so again ever since. Delta inherited their entire 747 fleet from Northwest airlines when they merged and the interiors on those planes were really dated & worn out - economy class did not have personal audio/video systems, instead they were still outfitted with overhead TVs. The good news though is that Delta began retrofitting the interiors of their 747 fleet and the last that I heard was that the retrofitting was scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. So hopefully your flight will be using one of the planes with an updated interior.

Finally I will be on a long flight in a 747, outbound. I have been wanting that my whole life. It is a -400, hope the interior is worth

I flew to China on a Delta 747-400 2 years ago and I have specifically avoided doing so again ever since. Delta inherited their entire 747 fleet from Northwest airlines when they merged and the interiors on those planes were really dated & worn out - economy class did not have personal audio/video systems, instead they were still outfitted with overhead TVs. The good news though is that Delta began retrofitting the interiors of their 747 fleet and the last that I heard was that the retrofitting was scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. So hopefully your flight will be using one of the planes with an updated interior.

I hope so to. I went ahead and paid the 160 for the better more roomy seat back there, so I hope it is what I had on those 777s. Will report soon.
  • 4 months later...