Anyone ever do some importing?

Hey all I was wondering if anyone has done some importing of goods for resale. We brought back about 60 Mini USB speakers with us in our suitcases they have almost sold out in 2 days, now we want to have some more sent over.

Hui found the factory for the speaker brand we want to import and they can handle shipping, we got a quote for shipping at 3200RMB for the number we are ordering once they ship using DHL will they handle customs also? I have read some sites where people say they have just placed their orders and have had no problems with delivery at all.

Question is what are the tax\duty ramifacations. I have tried to use online duty calculators but they give widely different answers.

I have read threw many blogs, message boards, websites and the like and they give answers varying from "i've made two big orders through dhgate coming to the US. I have had no duty taxes yet so it's going good for me so far." to others that say the rates are about 2-6% depending on the value and item.

Kind of confused UPS international is supose to be calling me back sometime today but I thought maybe the brain trust here had some ideas...

Robert I've been importing an item from China for over a year and selling it on eBay. I'm not making a pile of money but it adds about $500.00 a month to the family income. I'm not importing large quantities so customs or duty hasn't been an issue. I order them 10 at a time and my supplier always puts that it's a sample on the form. My supplier also uses DHL and I've been more than satisfied with the service. I don't know what quantity you're ordering or how big of a box it would take but 3200 sounds a bit steep to me. Chinese businesses almost always pad the shipping charges so have Hui haggle with them. I pay about $110.00 for a 20 pound box 16X24X6. It usually gets here in about 4 days.

I don't know what quantity you're ordering or how big of a box it would take but 3200 sounds a bit steep to me. Chinese businesses almost always pad the shipping charges so have Hui haggle with them. I pay about $110.00 for a 20 pound box 16X24X6. It usually gets here in about 4 days.

We are ordering 320 more speakers, 5 different models I can do at different prices. The weight is 60Kg Hui told me. I will ask her to try and get the shipping down a bit, maybe we can ship the next set by sea. I brought 65 or so back with me and I am down to just 8 after 2 days of selling them.

My wife shipped several boxes by sea via China Post when she first came here. It was cheap but took 3 or 4 months to get here.

We may do something like this. Buy alot now so I have more to sell and then order more next week but ship them by sea freight or China post for future sales.

If you don't mind me asking what do you sell? I sell the Mini USB speakers that are battery powered and take USB or Micro mem cards to play MP3's. they do very well in sales.

Well I once imported a "K-1 memory enhancement device" from China. On the weekends it follows me around all day and tells me what to do. It's pretty reliable, every Friday it can even create a "honey do" list for me on its own. I had a little problem getting it through customs though. Runs mostly on vegetables, shrimp and rice. Every so often you need to give it a little chocolate and check the snow crab leg level.

If you get one, watch out for the "mop slap kickback" onceyou get it going. :)

• Like 1

Well I once imported a "K-1 memory enhancement device" from China. On the weekends it follows me around all day and tells me what to do. It's pretty reliable, every Friday it can even create a "honey do" list for me on its own. I had a little problem getting it through customs though. Runs mostly on vegetables, shrimp and rice. Every so often you need to give it a little chocolate and check the snow crab leg level.

hahahahahaha

Ok that was funny.

I Hui got the shipping down to 1650RMB for DHL. Better shipping rates.

Well I once imported a "K-1 memory enhancement device" from China. On the weekends it follows me around all day and tells me what to do. It's pretty reliable, every Friday it can even create a "honey do" list for me on its own.

----------

Is this model better than the Chinatron 2000 with housework control?

----------

The Communist version seems difficult to control....

• Like 2

Ok that was funny.

I Hui got the shipping down to 1650RMB for DHL. Better shipping rates.

Good Job Hui! That's a significant discount.