Authentication of Documents

Randy W

Note (2023-04-05): Links to Chinese embassy sites or other links can change from time to time. If any links here are broken, try Googling "China document authentication". Links updated 2023-04-05.

This should be part of the standard operating procedure for anyone marrying a Chinese citizen in the U.S., since China is not a party to the Hague Convention - an apostille will not work.

This is about authenticating an American document for use in China - that is, a "white book" in reverse. It would primarily be used for a marriage certificate for those of us who were married in the U.S., although any other document with a raised notary seal might be a candidate for the same treatment, if it is needed in China. "Type of documents include: birth/death certificates, power of attorney, marriage certificates, diplomas, adoption application papers, business license, etc. "

In the past, the local PSB has accepted our American marriage certificate accompanied by a Chinese language translation that we had done at the University. This year, possibly as part of the recent "crackdown on foreign devils", they are requiring that we get it authenticated for use in China.

This is NOT done by the Consulate. Although the treatment is basically the same as for the Singles Certificate, any document originating in the States must be certified through the Consulate "which holds consular jurisdiction over the area where the document is executed".

Other consulates may accept mailed documents, but the Houston Consulate accepts walk-ins only, either you or an authorized representative (e.g., a visa service).

http://us.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/lsfw/zj/gz/202211/t20221123_10979498.htm (updated 2023-04-05)

To have this done without taking an extra trip to the Consulate, you might check any local China adoption service, which would already be used to the procedure. The China adoption services are those which assist Americans in adopting children from China.

Whether you need this done or not would be determined by the PSB when applying for a visa extension or residence permit.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

On 6/14/2012 at 12:21 AM, Mick said:

Does this mean you guys are going to have to go to Houston or have a representative go there for you?

They require you or an authorized representative to hand it in - no mail orders.

I'm trying to figure out all the steps - now it's looking like we have to get the State Dept. authentication done ourselves before we send it to a visa agency. Then the consulate requires a money order, which I may have to get someone to buy for me, unless China has an equivalent.

Too much back and forth in the mail - I may need a confederate in the states, in addition to the visa/adoption agency. The adoption agencies seem the most familiar with the process.

Here is the NY Consulate's site on this. It seems that in my case if we were doing this with our marriage cert, that the "Sec of state" step probably would not be needed, "1)authenticated by the Secretary of State (Financial Secretary in New Jersey) first. In the States of New York, Ohio and New Jersey, documents may be required to be authenticated by a County Clerk (Please consult with your Notary Public or the office of the Secretary of State), " It is the county clerk that issues marriage certs here in Monroe County NY.

MORE: http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsyw/lszjx/sbgzrz/

Updated link 2023-04-05http://us.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/lsfw/zj/gz/202211/t20221123_10979498.htm

More reading:

Wonder how this would play now that my wife is a US Citizen?

C. What types of document should be authenticated

• The following types of document should be authenticated by the Consulate before they are sent for use in China:

1. Documents issued in the U.S., such as a Certificate of Incorporation, even if it is held by a Chinese citizen;
  2. Documents pertaining to facts that have occurred in the U.S., such as a Marriage Certificate, even if it is in connection with a Chinese citizen;

More reading:

Wonder how this would play now that my wife is a US Citizen?

C. What types of document should be authenticated
  • The following types of document should be authenticated by the Consulate before they are sent for use in China:

1. Documents issued in the U.S., such as a Certificate of Incorporation, even if it is held by a Chinese citizen;
  2. Documents pertaining to facts that have occurred in the U.S., such as a Marriage Certificate, even if it is in connection with a Chinese citizen;

ANY American legal document which you need to use in China for any legal purpose should be authenticated. Whether this is (or will be) followed in practice is another question. Citizenship doesn't matter.

# 2 there answers that question.

Here is the NY Consulate's site on this. It seems that in my case if we were doing this with our marriage cert, that the "Sec of state" step probably would not be needed, "1)authenticated by the Secretary of State (Financial Secretary in New Jersey) first. In the States of New York, Ohio and New Jersey, documents may be required to be authenticated by a County Clerk (Please consult with your Notary Public or the office of the Secretary of State), " It is the county clerk that issues marriage certs here in Monroe County NY.

MORE: http://www.nyconsula...w/lszjx/sbgzrz/

The purpose of having the Secretary of State authenticate the document is to authenticate it for international usage. You end up with a document certified by the county clerk, authenticated by the Secretary of (your) State, and then by the Chinese Consulate.

• Authentication procedures:

• Send the document to a local notary public for notarization;
  • Send the notarized document to a County Clerk for authentication (often required in the States of New York State and Ohio and may be required in a couple of other states. Please consult the local notary public);
  • Send the notarized/authenticated document to the office of the Secretary of State or the Treasurer (of New Jersey) for authentication;
  • Send the authenticated document to the Consulate for authentication.

b ) and c) are two separate steps. But a) and b ) are usually already taken care of with the actual marriage certificate.

Just a few years ago, it was the U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell who signed the singles certificates. Now it's your state's Secretary of State who will sign it.

In any event, this step is necessary for the Chinese consulate to provide their authentication.

By the way, the consulate still looks the same as it did in 2006, with the exception of the document intake people. We were there between 9 and 10 AM - document intake was jam-packed, everywhere else was fairly light traffic. I don't know if that means that they allow document intake in the morning, though.

The American Citizen Services (where I went) is still to the right as you face the windows. But the area in front of the restrooms is still open to both ACS and the visa interviewees - in fact, I was sent across the interview area to Window 16 in order to pay for my passport pages. The ACS was busy with adoptions, but otherwise very lightly trafficked, and looking for people to service.

The ACS has its own security gate, and can be visited at any time by the American citizen (and spouse - although the first guard didn't let her in).

• 2 months later...

This is the authentication from the Secretary of State and the Chinese consulate - notice that everything is STAPLED together - DO NOT unstaple anything. The are stapled to a certified copy (with the raised seal) from the County clerk.

The Chinese describes what the document is - not an actual translation.

gallery_1846_774_14857.jpg

All this reminds me of the scene in the Wizard of Oz, when the official coroner certifies the witch's death.

The procedure is described here - http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/gzrz/t53297.htm

I recommend that anyone who was married in the States have this done, for dealings with the PSB or other legal issues. This year is the first time Ive been required to do this - we've always been able use a translated copy before this year.

edit 2017 - a current link is http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/t907716.htm

edit 2023-04-05: http://us.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/lsfw/zj/gz/202211/t20221123_10979498.htm

Edited by Randy W
new link (see edit history)