Apply for a SSN with EAD

Hi, did anyone there apply for a SSN with EAD? How long did it take?

We did not apply for the SSN before the I -94 expired. Got EAD a bit more than 2 weeks ago and went to apply for the SSN. Got a letter with a reference number that they need to confirm things with USCIS, and that it could take 4 weeks.

We are in urgent need of the SSN to buy insurance and for employment. Do you guys know anything we could do to speed up the process?

Thanks a lot!

Probably will be less than 2 weeks.

Some have visited the SSA office a couple days after applying, and they are able to call up the number assigned.

But I read some posts (dated back in earlier 2011 and earlier) on visajourney.com that some people did not get the SSN untill after more than 4 weeks because the process for SS to verify things with HSD is loooooong...if the situation is still like that I hope there is way to speed up the process....

Edited by JJ2011 (see edit history)

But I read some posts (dated back in earlier 2011 and earlier) on visajourney.com that some people did not get the SSN untill after more than 4 weeks because the process for SS to verify things with HSD is loooooong...if the situation is still like that I hope there is way to speed up the process....

Typically 2 weeks. Has to do with the USCIS database that SSA uses to verify work authorization, it takes typically 2 weeks for USCIS to update it as to status. No way to speed this up.

You can check this status here: http://www.dhs.gov/e-verify Once E-Verify indicates eligible to work, SSA should issue a number, and produce a card within a week or so.

In my wife's case my medical insurance plan did not need a SSN to add her to my plan, she did not need to immediately get a job, so simply waited for her green-card before seeking employment.

Dan, they've already had the EAD card for 2 weeks - they should be able to walk into an SS office tomorrow and get a number within a day or two. This may just go without any snags, since she's already in the immigrations system.

Just walk in the office TODAY and see if they won't tell you the number, but like Dan says, it may hinge on whether her information is updated for the SSA.

Thank you guys for your input!

We just realized that our EAD has been issued for 3 weeks till now! We were given a letter saying that it could take 4 weeks. Just now we tried to do the e-verify slefcheck on the USCIS webiste as Dan suggested and it did not go through...

We are having our fingers crossed that it would go through sooner ~