Does US Visa allow transit into Hong Kong?

We are hoping for an answer to our DCF from mid March any time now (wife is CCP). We have been researching whether Ling's visa (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc) to the US will allow her to enter Hong Kong where we hope to spend a day or two before catching a flight to the US.

To be clear, we would take the bullet train to Shenzhen, cross over into Hong Kong for a short stay, then fly from Hong Kong to America.

If needed, we can get the permit for her to travel to Hong Kong from the police, but it is an extra hassle and life would be easier if we don't need to do it.

I have checked Delta's website, searched through the archives here, and just googled it...but I cannot get a clear answer!

Anyone have experience with this? Thoughts, ideas, and wisdom welcomed!

Z

One word, YES, NO HK Permit needed, as long as you have documentation that will leave HK within 7 days, show airline ticket to the USA or onward travel dated 7 days or less after entry to HK.

Also applies in future when returning to China with a US green-card, no HK visa needed when traveling onward to China within 7 days.

National China (People's Rep.) (CN)

Transit Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Destination USA (US)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Visa required, except for Holders of Hong Kong (SAR China) passports;

Or: Visa required, except for Holders of "Exit-entry Permit for Traveling to and from Hong Kong and Macao" (EEP) containing an exit endorsement issued by Public Security Bureau Office in Mainland China stating purpose of entry;

Or: Visa required, except for : residents of Macao (SAR China) holding Macao Smart Permanent Identity Card (MSPIC) .

Or: Visa required, except for :

• holders of a Macao (SAR China) passport or a Macao (SAR China) Travel Permit. In all other cases:

Visa required, except for Holders of:

• travel documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department, endorsed with "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kon (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card verified ; or
  • a Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card.

Visa required, except for Holders of an "Asian Beach Games Identity and Accreditation Card (ABGIAC) with visa/entry permit function.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Nationals of China (People's Rep.) continuing their journey to a third destination within 7 days. A return ticket is not required if the onward destination is China (People's Rep.) or Macao.

Additional Information:

• Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

Warning:

• Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry.
  • Except when in transit to either mainland China (People's Rep.) or Macao (SAR China);

http://www.timaticwe...ubuser=DELTAB2C

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thank you much! Especially for the translation. Even with you posting the information from Delta, I struggled to understand it.

It's amazing to me--When I was 21 years old I knew everything. Nowadays, it seems that I know very little. I hope in the future I can still figure out how to tie my shoes!

Z