Communist Youth League (CYL)

My fiancee was in the "China Communist Youth League", but never joined CCP. I was told it's pretty common to join when you were in high school. Her CYL membership has already terminated (she's passed 28 years old), though. I know I'm ahead, but just alittle worried.... On the "Packet 4" forms, should my fiancee list "China Communist Youth League" on "party/organization/affiliation"? If yes, does she need an explanation similar to CCP? I tried doing a search in the forum on VJ and CFL, but couldn't find any answers. Also, I think there's a form (GNI?) where it asks "Were you part of a totalitarian party?". What should she answer? And should she have a resume ready? She did worked at one of hotels, owned by the government, for many years. But she was only a entry-level clerk. thanks in advance!

Good question kind of like girl scouts...

Should have no issue given age, the rule is having left the party more than 5 years will pose no block.

I would be honest and indicated was member of the CYL however once left high school did not join the CCP later.

Here's a thread about it from 2003 - in the thread, King is a respected lawyer, bur seems to only be talking about the Communist Party, rather than the CYL. This thread indicates that your response will go in your permanent immigration record. Answering that you were a member of a totalitarian organization can add "administrative processing" time to the handling of your application.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3331-communist-youth-league/

My own judgment is that you don't want to indicate that the Communist Youth League is a totalitarian organization - answer 'No' to that question, but still list it as an organization that you were a member of.

This lawyer seems to agree with that approach

http://www.alanleelaw.com/english/qa/QA2008-05-18.htm

• Like 1

Actually, she just turned turned 28 in Nov. 2011. Do you think we should be safe and write a statement and have a resume ready at interview (just in case they ask...) ? I'm probably going to mail our I-129F in the next 10 days or so.

Thanks for your help!

My first thought is I probably wouldn't bother mentioning it since she was never a party member then I remembered the golden rule of immigration. "Never ever ever lie to the USCIS". It might be worth a consultation with a good lawyer like Marc Ellis. He is also expert at front loading petitions to head off potential problems. Since you haven't sent in the paperwork yet now is a good time to bone up on front loading. Read everything in the Ellis' Island forum.

• Like 1

Have a statement handy, Resume tends to come up in cases where employed in some technical, medical, or other professional occupations. Prepare one just in case.

If have not sent petition you may want to attach this to the petition.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)