traveling with 1 year old

• 1 month later...

Wow, we made it!

Thanks to everyone for the help! The plane ride there and back was not too bad. We took the recommendations and loaded up entertainment on to smartphones, laptop and we even purchased an Ipad to help give our little guy something to do during the long trip. We got first class going there but not back but that is ok. For some reason Beijing was very uptight about letting toddlers on to first class. We had to fly Delta Air from MSP via Tokyo NRT to Beijing and back again.

As far as milk, we went to the local Carrefour and purchased some whole milk from France and Germany. For some reason, I could not find anything from New Zealand or Australia? Also, we purchased a couple of expensive cans of fromula that was the equivilant of Similac in the U.S.

Even though the formula cans were shown to be brands from other countries, it seems that some of the production (or packaging) of formula is still done in China. Perhaps that is a requirment of the Goverment. I am not sure.

Between table food, formula and whole milk I think we did ok.

Once we were setup with formula, milk, etc. it worked out pretty well. Too bad it was July in the hot and humid weather!

Oh well, it was amazing to be treated like royalty with all the relatives for about 1 month! Now back to reality :-( Wife starts to teach in about 2 weeks and we send our 14 month old to a Montessori "school" at the end of August. It is so strange to buy school supplies for such a young child. I guess I am just feeling old :-(....

• 7 months later...

We've done a handful of long-haul flights with our daughter. When she was less than a year old we did actually bring a small carseat on the airplane and had her in her own seat. Those flights were very smooth. As she got a little bit older we stopped with the car seat but still would pay for her own seat as I'm sure she would be miserable (as with us parents and fellow passengers nearby) if she was to fly as a lap baby on a long-haul flight.

One cool piece of advice I could give to parents regarding flying happend by accident. Just two months ago we flew from Shanghai to Chicago, which is a 14 hour flight. We were late in the boarding process so when we got to our seats we found there was no overhead space available for our luggage. Our 2 year old daughter had her own seat though. Our carry on was backpacks so we piled them up under her seat, added some blankets, jackets, and pillows and basically built a bed for her by placing enough items between her seat and the seat in front of her. She was able to sleep like and angel on that makeshift bed!