Fun with Chinese Work Permits

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

Most of you know I have been living and working in Nanjing for four years now. To live and work in China, requires a Work Permit, which is authorized by your employer, and also a Residence Permit. The Residence Permit is glued to one of your passport pages like a visa. Every year, both my Work Permit, and Residence Permit must be renewed, and both expire at about the same time of year. That time of year is right now, and must be accomplished before I leave China to seek medical treatment in Australia.

To accomplish this renewal, my company hires a third-party agency to gather the necessary information and material, and submits it to government officials. To get a Residence Permit, for Z-visa, requires getting a work permit first. To get a Work Permit, you need the following:

1. Letter from your employer authorizing you to work
2. Two 2-inch x 2-inch, passport style photos with white background
3. Copy of your employment contract
4. Copy of your previous Work Permit, if there is one
5. Copy of the temporary residence permit. The temporary residence permit is obtained from a local police station in the district you live

Now, regarding the 2-inch x 2-inch photo, with white background, one can quickly learn that it's an arbitrary requirement if you look at other foreigner's Work Permits. It's a little booklet comprised of about eight-pages, and one of the pages has the photo attached; probably with a glue-stick or similar. Of the many work permits I have looked at, you will find green background, gray background, blue background, and so on. I have rarely seen a Chinese Work Permit, which follows the photo guidelines as stipulated by the Chinese government.

Working in China takes a lot of patience, giving in, and excusing behaviors. If one wants to succeed here, with the least amount of pain, then a good deal of your life will be about giving into unreasonable demands and requests. I can give many examples of this, but for the sake of brevity, will confine my comments to the Chinese Work Permit.

As per the requirements given to me, I submitted the five items I previously listed. Included, was a 2-inch x 2-inch photo, on white background. Another point, is the request only stipulated a 2-inch photo; yes, one single dimension. So, it begs the question, do they want a 2-inch wide photo, that is 6-feet long? If you investigate further, one will learn that they want it to be square. Or, do they? Well, depends on the dummass government person looking at it, and what bug is up his ass that day. Yes, my supply of patience has run dry. Especially after returning to work from a doctor visit, I was met with an admin from my HR department. It's important to note that this is the fifth time I have renewed my residence permit in China. Every previous renewal my photo was accepted.

The HR admin told me that the authorizing people for my work permit did not like my photo, and that I must get a new one. They also said the photo paper was too thin. Those who have lived in China for any length of time, know better than to ask questions like, "Why, what's wrong with the one I provided?" Avoid asking, unless you've got a lot of time on your hands. Take Dramamine, as you will be spun in circles. Turns out, they didn't like the photo size. They didn't say I was ugly too, but they may have been thinking it. :Taking_photo:

So, I defied my own rule, and said, "There is nothing wrong with the size of the photo. I provided them with exactly the size required." So, loop-di-loop we go. Round and round, where it stops, nobody knows. They requested I go to a photo studio and get a new photo. More aggravating was knowing a few of my colleagues recently renewed their Work Permits. One of them used white card stock, and gave them a 2-inch by 2-inch photo. Another colleague submitted a 7-year old photo, with blue background, about one-inch wide and 1 1/2 inches tall. The photo was printed on white paper; not photo paper.

I then told the admin from HR, no. I will not get a new photo. I will not go to a photo studio. I told her that if the agency refuses to accept the photo because it's the wrong size, then they need to provide me with a copy of Chinese law that states a different size photo, and paper requirement than what I provided them. The admin's jaw nearly hit the floor. She paused for several seconds, and could not believe I actually refused to follow this request. Will I win this battle? Very unlikely. Am I standing on principle? No. I have simply had enough of this bullshit.

But also be aware of what's going on, Jesse. Not that you're illegal, but that it certainly doesn't hurt to have your paperwork in order.

This guys comments are WAY over the top (especially for him), but read for meaning

State TV Host Offers Advice on How to Throw Out ‘Foreign Trash’

Beijing Pledges to ‘Clean Out’ Illegal Foreigners

We are being told after three years of using a translation we got through the University for our marriage license, that that's not enough. American documents need to be certified for use in China by the Dept. of State (similar to what's required of the single certification). This is actually correct, and we have a trip to Guangzhou coming up in order to take care of this.

Disclaimer: This post is intended for informative purposes only. I have no clue about your actual photographs.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

But also be aware of what's going on, Jesse. Not that you're illegal, but that it certainly doesn't hurt to have your paperwork in order.

This guys comments are WAY over the top (especially for him), but read for meaning

+1

I can only imagine your frustration.

Ask yourself, what do I want? What is my objective? How can I get there with least grief?

We are being told after three years of using a translation we got through the University for our marriage license, that that's not enough. American documents need to be certified for use in China by the Dept. of State (similar to what's required of the single certification). This is actually correct, and we have a trip to Guangzhou coming up in order to take care of this.

Disclaimer: This post is intended for informative purposes only. I have no clue about your actual photographs.

Guest ExChinaExpat

When I first arrived in China, the reception my company provided was special. I was considered an expatriate, and having a skill the Chinese did not have available. About two and half years ago, the political and work environments started to change, and change big; especially among Chinese patriots of the Communist party. We have a large number of young Chinese people in our Nanjing office. Average age is probably around 25. Some of them come from wealthy Chinese families, and were sent to prestigious American schools. The extravagant bills for travel and education, were carefully planned and crafted by the family, in hope their child would return to China at the top of their game. I've spent time with many of them, and while most are very intelligent, they are void of cultural life experience. Several little emperors exist among the groups; spoiled beyond belief, with special confidence as they have family in high-government regard.

More than half of the people who work for my company are members of the Chinese Communist Party, and they are proud patriots. Some have received special training to learn proper behavior in social settings. But, make no mistake about it, this training supports the two-face rule. That is, the face they present you, and then they face they present to their Chinese buddies. Happy smiles, firm handshakes, pats on the back all included at no extra charge. In truth, they harbor a lot of resentment toward foreign workers. It's taken quite a while for me to learn and see these things for what they are, as it's easy to be blinded by cultural adjustment during the first few years. It's their country, and they want to support their people first. Nothing wrong with that, but it's also important for any foreign person living and/or working in China to realize that the welcome mat is being removed.

Randy, your experience with paperwork suddenly being deemed invalid, is not surprising. One "foreigner's annoy me" Chinese bureaucrat on the other side of the counter, has the power to determine whether you stay, or leave his country. China will probably never just kick foreign workers out, but they can make life more difficult for them so they choose to leave on their own.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)

Guest ExChinaExpat

Be it known that I just received a response about what a 2-inch x 2-inch photo is in China. I asked for examples and here they are:

1. 2-inch x 2-inches means: 35mm wide x 55mm tall

2. Background should be white

Here are two examples how to frame them. Note, the blue background in one of the examples:

http://i46.tinypic.com/17uxrn.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/257ewav.jpg

Hi : this is a great discussion topic. This is China . As Chinese also must endure with the BS's , so does foreigners !!! Try to cooperate , it'll go much smoother. It is only about photo . Don't take the principle of right or wrong , but be pragmatic . It is China , after all.

By the way, if you are married to a Chinese citizen , aren't you eligible to apply for a Chinese permanent residence visa after X years of marriage ?

Guest ExChinaExpat

Hi : this is a great discussion topic. This is China . As Chinese also must endure with the BS's , so does foreigners !!! Try to cooperate , it'll go much smoother. It is only about photo . Don't take the principle of right or wrong , but be pragmatic . It is China , after all.

By the way, if you are married to a Chinese citizen , aren't you eligible to apply for a Chinese permanent residence visa after X years of marriage ?

Thanks for the tip about cooperating in China. After living here for four years, I have seen more than my fair share of incompetence. I watch as my Chinese co-workers twist, turn, and contort themselves into any shape they are asked to assume. Regarding permanent residence in China, I know the "Chinese Green Card" is nearly impossible to get.

RandyW made an earlier post that discusses the recent 100-day war to root out undesirable foreigners. I believe this recent fiasco with the photo on my Chinese work permit is related to it. I'm an American, born and raised, and while my precious country has changed into something I no longer recognize, I still know well the taste of freedom and independence, and will fight anyone who tries to remove it from me. I respect that China wants to clean out foreign trash, because there are a lot of them here; and here illegally. The Chinese government requested I provide them a 2-inch x 2-inch photo on white background, so, I gave it to them. They rejected it and said it was the wrong size. I knew I gave them precisely what they requested, so, I asked for specific requirements about the photo. It took 2 1/2 days to get the specifics I posted here. I was encouraged by nearly everyone to just cooperate and go to the photo studio. I said, sorry. No dice. I told them I would go to the photo studio if necessary, but only after they provided me details about the photo requirements.

Dozens of times every single day I look past and ignore the unreasonable; from the guy in my area who burps at the top of his lungs every day, to the twits in cars who treat pedestrians like bowling pins, and don't know the meaning of a stop sign or red light.

Guest ExChinaExpat

By the way, anyone knows about the requirement for getting Chinese Greencard ? how about the reality ?

as you all know, in China , what on paper and the practice could be different .... could be a little different or could be a lot different ....

Like most countries, what you hear from the government, and what is the reality, often do not coincide. I have heard that one of the members of this site actually obtained one. I suggest you use a good Internet search engine, and look for expat sites where the topic is discussed.

Foreigners who invest in China and meet ONE of the following requirements may apply:

• Invest in China, contributed the subscribed registered capital in total over USD 2,000,000 (no lower than the amount in three consecutive years);
  • Invest in the middle of China, contributed the subscribed registered capital in total over USD 1,000,000 (no lower than the amount in three consecutive years);
  • Invest in the middle of China and/or national poverty alleviation regions, contributed the subscribed registered capital in total over USD 500,000 (no lower than the amount in three consecutive years);
  • Invest in industries encouraged in Catalogue for the Guidance of Foreign Investment Industries that issued by the government, and contributed the subscribed registered capital in total over USD 500,000 (no lower than the amount in three consecutive years); and

Foreigners who work in China and meet the following requirements may apply:

• Having been holding the post of deputy general manager, deputy factory director and above, and/or having the title of at least an associate professor, associate research fellow and other senior positions in China;
  • Having been working over four years, and resided in China over three years in this period;
  • Having a clean tax record;
  • The entity that the applicant is working for meets one of the following conditions:

a. is ministry of the State Council, and/or a scientific research institute, and/or institutions that carry the administrative functions or play the same role.

b. is one of the key institutes of higher education (“211 Project” universities and the such);

c. is high-tech enterprise, encouraged industry in Catalogue for the Guidance of Foreign Investment Industries, foreign investing enterprise with advanced technology and/or foreign investing enterprise in export business; and

You may apply if you are 1) marriage partner to qualified applicant; or 2) unmarried children under 18 years old to qualified applicant.

The application is to be accepted by Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau, examined and verified by Shanghai Public Security Bureau, reexamined and approved by The Ministry of Public Security of the People’s Republic of China.

http://bjtoday.ynet.com/attachment.db?62721013

Guest ExChinaExpat

How about thru marriage with Chinese Citizen?

If you read the criteria from the link I posted, it is very clear that marriage to a Chinese citizen does not qualify you for a Chinese green card. In America, it would be considered discrimination, but in China, they are only interested in people who have significant amounts of money to invest, and/or have an executive level job.

Pacini said the only way for him to get a green card is to make an investment of $500,000 (3.4 million yuan) – money he does not have. To qualify for a green card, applicants must be leading business professionals or experts in a certain eld who have made “outstanding contributions, or are of special importance to China,” the green card application guidelines say. Those who come to China to be reunited with a Chinese wife or husband, and those who invest at least $500,000 in the country are also eligible.

Posada acknowledges the complicated procedures and strict requirements, but understands the reason behind them. “It’s not as easy to get as a pizza, but I think China is improving,” he said. “China is not an immigrant country after all ... each country needs to protect itself.” Su said there is no greencard quota for Beijing; anyone who is qualified can apply. The municipal government is also actively exploring ways to ease the application process and has worked out preferential policies for expat residents. He said the Beijing PSB has communicated to the central government existing problems and expats’ suggestions, such as the card’s lack of recognition in small cities and limited benets for holders. From regulated life to green card Before the green-card system was adopted on August 15, 2004, a limited number of foreign nationals were awarded resettlement or permanent residence certicates, a plan introduced in the 1980s. The granting of green cards was taken by Westerners as a sign that China was opening its door to outsiders, trying to attract more foreign talents. Before the mid-1980s, lives of Beijing expats were strictly regulated. Posts were set up on major streets to supervise their activities. Billboards reading “Expats are forbidden to pass without permission” could be seen in many places.

After 1985, the Beijing government revoked the prohibition on expats in certain areas downtown. In 2003, it removed restrictions on expats’ housing. In September 2004, 28 expats became the rst group to receive the Chinese green card. Now, Beijing is home to 100,000 expats who have been in the city for at least a year and who hold a proper job. The PSB’s Exit and Entry Administration handles green-card applications and veries supporting documents, which are then forwarded to the Municipal Public Security Bureau and the Ministry of Public Security for approval. “We suggest that expats call the exit and entry administration rst to be clear what materials they need to prepare, instead of directly applying for a green card to avoid unnecessary trouble,” Su said. “Providing increased preferential policies to green-card holders has become a big trend,” Su said, adding that authorities are also considering making the card easily available by broadening the range of potential applicants without lowering the requirements.

Old Bill was the only one that I ever heard of that got a Chinese Greencard. At that time there were only about 850 foreigners that had ever gotten one. I was looking into that some time ago and seems that number has increased significantly. A Google search might reveal some results. Given the hoopla that is going on now concerning foreigners in China I would guess that the chances would be about 0 to get one but that is just my guess.

Here is something that I found on China.org.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/184128.htm

Larry.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few hundred thousands of Chinese get their US greencard every year and most of them are through family based immigration .

I think China is still a poor country considering they don't welcome family based immigration at all .

850 foreigners out of 1.3 billion people ? that 's a joke !