Wrong Green Card

Our son is in China and his return flight is in nine days. My wife discovered this morning that he took his conditional Green Card which expired in December of 2010. :Dah:

My wife is thinking of mailing his 10 year Green Card to him in China via Global Express Guaranteed mail. This seems like a risky solution to me (but, she may have already done it by the time this thread gets going - I will update).

Are the other viable alternatives? E.g. would a copy of his current Green card be accepted to return home? :helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance for your replies. :signthankspin:

-Richard

Our son is in China and his return flight is in nine days. My wife discovered this morning that he took his conditional Green Card which expired in December of 2010. :Dah:

My wife is thinking of mailing his 10 year Green Card to him in China via Global Express Guaranteed mail. This seems like a risky solution to me (but, she may have already done it by the time this thread gets going - I will update).

Are the other viable alternatives? E.g. would a copy of his current Green card be accepted to return home? :helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance for your replies. :signthankspin:

-Richard

Yes - EMS will provide a signature receipt. At the USPS it is called EMI (Express Mail International) and is delivered through the China Post to any city in China.

Global Express Guaranteed is our fastest international shipping service, with transportation and delivery by FedEx Express.

If you know FedEx to provide the service you need in China, the Global Express Guaranteed may be just as good of a solution, but somehow I think EMS is more likely to be the better solution - that is, I'm not sure that the "Guarantee" is as fully applicable at the Chinese end.

A solution at his end that would probably work just as well would be to check with his consulate (although he may have to go to the USCIS offices at Bejing or Guangzhou)

Green Card Expires While Abroad -

This is from the Venezulean Embassy, but information from the Guangzhou consulate is at the link posted below

A Transportation Letter is a travel document issued to a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States who has an expired, lost, or stolen Permanent Resident card (a/k/a “Green Card” or “Form I-551”) and need to travel to the United States.

The Transportation Letter is valid for two weeks and for one single entry to the United States. Once the Legal Permanent Resident arrives in the United States, he or she will need to take the steps necessary to obtain a new Permanent Resident card with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.

http://guangzhou.use...green-card.html

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hi Randy,

She has decided to send it to him; we will take your advice and send it EMI (and save enough money for a nice lunch).

It's good to know about the Transportation Letter. If his Green Card gets lost in the mail, we will need to take that route.

Thank you very much,

Richard

Hi Randy,

She has decided to send it to him; we will take your advice and send it EMI (and save enough money for a nice lunch).

It's good to know about the Transportation Letter. If his Green Card gets lost in the mail, we will need to take that route.

Thank you very much,

Richard

You're welcome - come on back more often!

He is more likely to have problems with the airline than the Chinese Government. Julian's wife went to China while her I-751 was being processed and her green card had expired. She had her I-751 NOA which extends her legal status while the case is being processed but the airline wouldn't honor it. I don't recall how they resolved it but I think he sent her her new green card.

• 2 weeks later...

Good News! His green card arrived in China two days before his flight home. He's back home now and all is well. :coolthumb:

Mr. Warpedbored (it has been a while, I used to know your name): :blush: I agree, we figured he would get to Beijing and be refused his seat if he tried using the expired Conditional Green Card.

Randy, I'll try to get back here and get into some conversations. Thanks for the 'welcome back'.