Expiration Dates on Interview Required Materials

Our attorney suggested that during our January trip to see each other, since we were going to be in her hometown, to get the following documents:

1) Police Certificate(s) for Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

2) Certified copy of Court or prison records for Chinese beneficiary (if applicable) with Notarized English Translations; plus a copy

3) Martial certificate (single cert or marriage cert) of Chinese beneficiary with Notarized English Translation; plus a copy.

What are common expiration dates for these papers? It's would mean a trip by airplane and at least 3 days off work to go back to her hometown to get these papers again if needed.

She's looked on the papers and can't find a expiration date on any of these three certificates.

Going by date from http://www.visajourn...nt/k1historical and other sources, it looks like our visa interview will be in a couple months or so (NOA1 was 11/10/2011).

One last question for the fine folks at CFL. Our NOA2 date was April 3rd, 2012. Some government websites say that once the application was been transmitted, it just sits there for THREE MONTHS! because of some stupid law. The data on visa journey and timelines I've seen here from members of this very website do not really reflect this. What's up with that? </seinfeld>

Edited by bobber205 (see edit history)

Police certs are considered to be valid 1 year.

You are doing fiancee so will also need copy of divorce cert or prior spouse's death cert.

You will also need a copy of certificate of no marriage, this is valid 1 year.

As for timing to visa interview it has been indicated that NVC has been scanning petition and transmitting it to the consulate, so that long 3 month customs delay is no longer being reported by members. NVC can be about 4 weeks, expect P3 to be sent or emailed out by consulate about a week after NVC indicates case sent to consulate.

You can call DOS visa services ( (202) 663-1225 )and find out if and when P3 was sent. Once finding out that it has been sent, you can then mail back to consulate OF-169, DS-230 Part 1, copy of passport bio page, and a mailing address label.

http://guangzhou.use...and_packets.htm

OF-169 (Check list instructions)

DS-230 (Fill-able version)

If you have not started preparing the I-134 do so now. Treat it the same as the I-864 that you later use after marriage and adjusting status, it has been reported many times that the consulate looks for financial evidence that will be used later. While there are no specific income requirements listed in the I-134 form directions, you will be judged by the same criteria as the I-864 form requirements when they are issuing the visa at the foreign US consulate, so provide financial information for the I-134 with those guidelines in mind.

• 1 - 3 years past years tax returns (1040+W2 and/or 1099) or transcripts, I used transcripts they are free from the IRS 3 years are preferred.
  • Letter from employer ( Basically, your employer letter should state "To whom it may concern: (first name,last name) has been employed full-time with the XYZ Company since 200_ as a (name of your job), and is an employee in good standing with an annual salary of $XXXX. Signed, John Doe, Supervisor (or whatever title)" The letter should be on company letterhead. )
  • Copy of past 6 months pay stubs.

More: http://www.visajourn...content/support

How to read the VJ timeline, 1) goto K-1 timeline, set filter for China, set advance mode, then sort by NOA2, the latest point in your process.

http://www.visajourn...&dfile=No&adv=1

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks for all the info. Will start filling out those forms soon! :D

Quick additional question: Called my attorney today. I said that we got the singleness cert in January and the no criminal background cert in late january 2012. And that they last a year. He *heavily* recommended her going back to Chongqing and getting an updated form :\ Just to rule out any possibility of them having some grounds to delay or reject the visa on. What do you guys think of that?

Thanks for all the info. Will start filling out those forms soon! :D

Quick additional question: Called my attorney today. I said that we got the singleness cert in January and the no criminal background cert in late january 2012. And that they last a year. He *heavily* recommended her going back to Chongqing and getting an updated form :\ Just to rule out any possibility of them having some grounds to delay or reject the visa on. What do you guys think of that?

Go with what you got, interview probably will happen Late June or July, I have yet to see them reject still VALID certificates.

Excellent news to report!

Jing received this email a hour or so ago.

This email is from the immigrant Visa Unit of U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou requesting your visa application.

We received your petition from the NVC and sent you the instruction packet (Packet 3) via EMS courier mail on April 25, 2012. However, the mail was returned today. Please feel free to download the Packet 3 from our website and fill out the forms DS-230 and OF-169 and prepare documents to start your visa application. We will schedule you for visa interview within two months after receiving the completed DS-230 and OF-196 and other requested materials.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

Of course we can find the forms and our attorney will help us with the next part but I have a question for CFL.

1) How can we change/confirm the address and phone number they are using?

2) Most of the time, "mail" (however that works in China when having it delivered to her work), she gets a phone call. Could her phone being out of battery when trying to deliver prevented her from getting it quicker?

Thanks CFL! :D

Alex

Excellent news to report!

Jing received this email a hour or so ago.

Of course we can find the forms and our attorney will help us with the next part but I have a question for CFL.

1) How can we change/confirm the address and phone number they are using?

2) Most of the time, "mail" (however that works in China when having it delivered to her work), she gets a phone call. Could her phone being out of battery when trying to deliver prevented her from getting it quicker?

Thanks CFL! :D

Alex

1) Simply download the forms, fill them out and send to consulate, along with a photocopy of BIO page from passport and a pre addressed mailing label from China Post the address you put on he mailing label will be where the P-4 goes.

Will send to consulate:

• OF-169
  • DS-230 (Part 1 for K-1, Part 1 and 2 for CR1 or IR-1 spouse)
  • copy of passport bio page
  • EMS Mailing label from China Post.

http://guangzhou.use...and_packets.htm

2) No, they simply mail the packets.

No lawyer needed to handle these steps.

3) You start preparing I-134 http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44677-expiration-dates-on-interview-required-materials/page__view__findpost__p__587813

Sending out DS-230 filled out and OF-169 along with passport bio page and the mailing label in a day or two.

Quick question for CFL: What is the purpose of OF-169? There's lots of checkboxes of things to bring (info we obviously already know by heart) but what is the purpose of the checkboxes?

Things we check are things they will expect?

One last question for today. Should Jing fill out Part 2 of DS-230 and keep it with her and bring it to the interview? What is the purpose of part 2?

Many thanks CFL!

Check boxes are so can acknowledge that have gotten that item, items unobtainable such as military record can remain unchecked.

DS-230 part 2 is for immigrant visas such as CR-1 and IR-1 spouse visa, not K-Visas, K-Visas use DS-156 and GNI-2 from Packet 4serve this function for K-Visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received the filled out form for the affidavit of support from our attorney. I helped get some of the materials and everything seems to be in order.

One question I had for him and now for CFL. Question 7 says "I have deposit in savings banks in the United States" with X thousand on the right.

I have about 500 or so in my "savings" account. The X thousand he put on the form is my CHECKING deposit. :P

Is this OK? I asked about this and he said they just really want to see how much money you have for air tickets etc.

Is this true? Should I be ok with leaving this technically incorrect number on the form? I have my last 3 months of bank statements included with this package so they could tell it's "wrong" if I look close enough. A bit confused on what is right.

The bank balance is used in cases where you have low income and are using the bank account as an asset to make up for the short income. Asset = 1/3 income, so if your income is 1000 below the 125% poverty line, then need to show 3000 in assets to make up for the shortfall.

My income was well above, so I did not bother listing any bank balances, doing so would require attaching a bank statement proving that number.

And NO they are not looking for how you will pay for air tickets.. Perhaps you will pay for that using a credit card and be paying that off over time later.

The bank balance is used in cases where you have low income and are using the bank account as an asset to make up for the short income. Asset = 1/3 income, so if your income is 1000 below the 125% poverty line, then need to show 3000 in assets to make up for the shortfall.

My income was well above, so I did not bother listing any bank balances, doing so would require attaching a bank statement proving that number.

And NO they are not looking for how you will pay for air tickets.. Perhaps you will pay for that using a credit card and be paying that off over time later.

I have the required income as well as the banking statements. Should I include that line?