America's newest United States Citizen

I'm very proud to announce America's newest United States Citizen.

Sakha passed her US Citizenship Exam this morning, April 30th 2012, and was sworn in a few hours later around 12:30pm. http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Smileys/akyhne/smiley.gif

Sakha citizenship picture

To get to this point we fought our way through the State Department, the California Immigration Service Center, the National Visa Center in Vermont, the Department of Homeland Security investigators, the Phnom Penh Police Department, the Cambodian Records Center, the Cambodian Emigration Authority, the United States Embassy in Phnom Penh, US Customs & Immigration Services, and finally the US Customs & Border Protection. (I'm sure many of you went through similar mazes.)

We turned in over 1,000 pages of documentation, had her fingerprints taken 4 times (at $680 a shot), sat through multiple interviews and jumped through numerous other hoops. After almost 4 years of this sort of thing, she is now a full-fledged United States Citizen.

And believe me, we are soooooooooo done. lol

I want to make special mention of this site... CandleForLove was very, very helpful to us in many ways, and Sakha and I thank each and every one of you here. It's been a long journey and CFL helped make it possible. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Cheers!

Next step, deal with the State Department one last time and visit a passport acceptance center (Local Post Office) and apply for a passport, she will have to part with that shiny new citizenship cert for a couple weeks while waiting for passport.

Next step, deal with the State Department one last time and visit a passport acceptance center (Local Post Office) and apply for a passport, she will have to part with that shiny new citizenship cert for a couple weeks while waiting for passport.

We do plan to get her a US Passport for sure, but hell, that'll be easy...I could do that in my sleep with my frontal lobe tied behind my back.

We do plan to get her a US Passport for sure, but hell, that'll be easy...I could do that in my sleep with my frontal lobe tied behind my back.

Yep was so easy I had my wife do it herself, she also handled the N-400, with me double and triple checking it before filing.

In our case I was also thinking if my wife wanted to delay applying for passport for a while and wished to make a Chinatown run to Toronto, we would have simply went to DMV with the naturalization cert and got her driver's license enhanced, NY State offers an enhanced drivers license that acts as a border crossing card, it costs $30 or so to do.