Advice regarding parents visiting US

SO's parents just got approved for visitor visa this summer. For those of you that have had parents over for a visit, I am looking for things to prepare and have for them here to make them feel more comfortable and make their visit more enjoyable. Any advice whatsoever is appreciated.

Congratulations. My wife's parents have not been here for a visit. Furtherr, I am somewhat surprised your post is one week old and nobody has answerred you.

If my in-laws did visit I would:

1. Make sure a sheet of plywood was available for a firm bed.

2. Find a way to let them watch Chinese Language TV, Movies and News. Lot's of advice on that in other forums. Communications, perhaps.

3. Determine their favorite food to eat in China and then find out where can I get it?

4. #3 leads to find out where the nearest, and greatest, Chinese market is. Not Asian, not Vietneamese, not Philipino, although they are useful, sometimes the products carried are different.

5. Find the nearest big Chinatown.

6. Take them on a driving, even better, camping trip if your circumstances permit it.

I think there are just too many variations based on the differing interests of the people involved.

Ask your wife.

But probably the best thing you can do is arrange lots of sightseeing activities. And *always* ask if the tour/museum/even has a headset with Chinese translation for them, or a Chinese language pamphlet.

Edited by A Mafan (see edit history)

Your wife will take care of most things you need to worry about.

I made sure that we had our kylintv set up for Chinese tv for them and made sure the Vonage was working on calls to china.

The mother in law needed to have qq games working on the computer which was a pain in the ass on a English language computer.

The in laws have been out here multiple times. Be prepared for a bigger fight about the thermostat haha!

I think there are just too many variations based on the differing interests of the people involved.

Ask your wife.

But probably the best thing you can do is arrange lots of sightseeing activities.

Exactly, your wife knows her parents more than anyone else does and I believe she will be able to arrange/prepare most the things. What her parents expect from you the most is to take care of their daughter. So be sure to show them you're a loving and caring husband ;) Also, try to keep them occupied. Whether they drive or not, make sure they'll have a way to get around. Arrange lots of sightseeing activities as Mafan suggested. If possible, find the Chinese community where your parents-in-law can play mahjong and spend time with other Chinese :lol: . If they use internet frequently, install Chinese system on your computer or ask them to bring their own.

BTW, if your parents-in-law are interested in "gardening", it may not be a bad idea to let them know what plants are not acceptable by the HOA. I'm still concerned that my mom might surprise the HOA with a yard full of leafy veggies--all considered WEEDS here--when she comes to visit.