Two questions DVD's and Which region?

Hello, I want to bring an old movie to a friend in China. If it is on a DVD do I have to worry what region it can play on or is that region criteria only for a DVD player and not a DvD player on a computer? I know that few DVD that I bring back from China seem to work in the states. Also any suggestions of any DVD's that a young Chinese person ( mid twenties) would enjoy watching? I am from a different time zone as a "twenties" someone. I am thinking of I Love Lucy reruns, the Three Strooges, Alfred Hitchcock's TV shows or the old Twight Zones TV show'? My Lao Po probably wouldn't like any of them but I thought maybe her daughter would like something if it was a little more modern. Thanks for any ideas. Danb

Check the DVD's packaging, if region 0 it will play on any DVD player, 0 = Earth

Region 1 = North America, it will not play on a Region 6 player (China)

Region 6 = China will not play on a North America player region 1

As for computer DVD players, they have a firmware setting for region, if set for one region and you place a disk for a different region in it, the play back software will ask if you wish to change the region in the drive, this is allowed only a couple times, I believe perhaps 4 or 5 times then it locks into what ever region it is in when change is no longer allowed.

A couple work arounds.

• Some DVD players have had their region setting defeated and are "Region Free" fairly common over in China.
  • Use a DVD copy program such as DVD Decrypt or other application, most read the disk, remove the region code, and burn it to region 0. I have done this when buying disks meant for region 2 (UK) so I can play on my home DVD player.

In general, the Chinese players do not check the region code. That is, they will play discs from ANY region, including North America. I think our car's DVD player (a Toyota) may be the only one ever sold in China that honors the region code. Any disk I want to play in the car from the U.S. is first converted to Region 0, but for playing at home, either a Chinese player, or my Region-free player from the U.S. work just fine. DVD decrypter is free software that will remove the region code and copy a disk to your hard drive without the need to change the Region setting on the player.

Now the computer DVD players are usually from Japan and DO honor the Region code, like Dan says. Just never change that setting, and use DVD Decrypter whenever you want to read an out-of-region disk.

There is also software available that will convert a double layered DVD (up to 9.4GB) down to a single-layer (4.7GB) if you need to do that.

And the corollary to that is that the Chinese DVD's are Region 0 - meaning they'll play on any DVD player. But here it IS possible to find both Chinese (Region 6) and Hong Kong (Region 3) coded discs.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The application I have used to compress a DVD 9 to a DVD 4.5 has been DVD shrink..

DVD Decrypt and DVD Shrink are older applications, and some very new DVDs have a newer form of copy protection that these programs cannot handle.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

Some times have to first use the decrypter, rip the disk to an ISO file, then use DVD Shrink mount the ISO and compress it to fit on a single layer DVD, then use any DVD burning app to burn the ISO to a disk, I believe DVD Decrypter can burn ISO back to disk.

Anyone know where to get Seinfeld with Chinese subtitles?

I have PP Live installed on my wife's laptop, you will be amazed what you can find streaming on that app.

Oh cool. Thanks guys. Want to introduce my fiancee to the joys of Seinfeld LOL

A man after my own heart....LOL I know my wife would "get" the Seinfeld episodes. She loves and has a very wacky sense of humor and outlook on everyday life. That show would be right down her alley.

Ya know, come to think of it....I was always a lil' fearful that I would meet a nice lookin' woman, but she wouldn't have much of a vivid and wacky sense of humor. A good test could be to have some episodes of Seinfeld with Chiner subtitles. If the woman watched the show, got the humor, and she really enjoyed the show, she passed the test. :rotfl: Heck, a good lookin' woman is okay, but one with a great sense of humor, who loves to laugh at darn near everything in life, why she's the pot of gold at the end of the dadgum rainbow. :victory:

Good luck with gettin' to watch that show with your wife. Please tell us how she likes it.

tsap seui

Anyone know where to get Seinfeld with Chinese subtitles?

I agree w/ Tsap. (obvious/possibly not too helpful answer follows) I found them in China. If that's not possible, I would check out pp Live first.