Country Music Legend Earl Scruggs passes

Man, how many times have I sung that song as a kid, or had funny visions of hillbillies dance in my hed whenever Earl picked them notes on his "banja" and his notes vibrated through the little bones at the end of my eardrums YEEEEEHAWWWWW

Poppin' outta momma into the waitin' hands of Nurse Cratchett there in Charlotte's Mercy Hospital in early 1950 has shore proved to be a great time to be alive n' kickin'...RED necked enuff to understand the fancy pickin' of ol' Earl, WHITE collared...shit I ain't even got me ah single shirt that has a damned white collar, and BLUE collared enuff to enjoy the stories guys like Flatt n' Scruggs was'ah tellin' with their music.

Thanks for the heads up Thomas. What nice memories of those pleasant times.

tsap seui

Oh boy, watched the link....which led to CCR and Unfortunate Son, then to Paint it Black, on to Ride of The Valkeryes....shed a few tears, checked my blood pressure to see if I was still anything above a ZERO, and looked in on the lil' angel asleep in our bed....With a big ol' grin, I am on the good side of dirt, another day.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Martin is considered to be very much an accomplished banjo artist. He's played it since he first appeared on the Smothers' Brothers show in the '60s and most recently he and his band won an award (Grammy or Country Music) for their Bluegrass album.

He'd also be one of the first people to tell you that Earl Scruggs was The Master.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

Scruggs was the first one to use a three finger picking style on the banjo. Three finger picking style has been used on the guitar since at least the 1800s.

Steve Martin and Emmy Lou Harris are coming to Portland this summer for an outdoor concert. I'd love to see them.