Interview Language Questions...(and a video question too)

So, I just got the info back after DCFing in Beijing, and it's now time to start prepping for the interview in Guangzhou. I have lots of questions, but for now I'll just ask one...does it matter what language the interview is conducted in? I've read the VOs can usually speak Mandarin and English, but I'm not sure which one to go with...basically, here's our situation.

My wife: fluent in Mandarin, OK at basic English.

Me: fluent in English, also fluent in Mandarin.

We speak both languages to each other, but Mandarin is our "base" language and it's what we usually speak.

So, obviously my wife would be more comfortable doing the GUZ interview in Mandarin. However, I'm wonder if they're more likely to reject applicants who can't do the interview in English? Or if she does the interview in Mandarin, would she need to provide some proof that I can speak Mandarin? What sort of documentation should we use for that, email logs perhaps?

Perhaps in connection with this, I'm also wondering about providing video evidence, which I've seen mentioned in a few threads...how is this done, logistically? Would it be possible, for example, to bring a video file on a flash drive? Or a DVD? Presumably, a video would be a great way to prove we communicate fluently in Mandarin, but aside from that, what else could a video be used as documentation for?

Interview in Mandarin is fine. Communications is less of an issue when they see where the petition was filed, that is filed in China, they know you have been living together for some time so obviously can communicate.

It is quite rare for a DCF case to be denied, because a bonafide relationship is easily established through living together, denials tend to be due to other factors making an immigrant in-admissible, and typically is not a denial, just a delay for additional processing (CCP issue or Affidavit of support issue (US Domicile, and/or requiring a joint sponsor.))

I have yet to see Guangzhou having to demonstrate communications through video, sometimes happens in Hong Kong, but in cases where petition was filed in the USA.

Since they split interviews into 2 day events, on the document intake day they will ask your wife if she speaks English. Best answer would be just as you stated, basic English skills, fluent mandarin. I think they use this question to ascertain which VO you will get, depending on VO's language abilities.

They will not accept Video evidence, as no electronics are allowed past the security check point, and they are not allowed to insert a unknown device on their computers, viruses etc.

On the evidence turn in day you can try and hand over something like an evolution of relationship letter that explains what you said here, as well as any other evidence you want a VO to see. They may take it, then again they may not. It's worth a shot.

In my 600+ page of initial application I sent in a DVD of my wife and I speaking in english together....I'll never know if they looked at it or not. It doesn't hurt to cover every base you can dream up or read about.

Good luck with the interview.

tsap seui