TV pad M121

Just got one. Pay $200 one time fee and can watch 64 oversea stations (China and HK). Must have hi speed internet service and HDMI input to HDTV. No buffering while watching live TV. Great picture. I got mine at a local Chinese Electronic store in Boston area. This device is real good for your Chinese gal.

COOL!

http://www.tvpad.hk/

Can find them on eBay or Alibaba..

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/524959893/tvpad_2_tvpad_M9_M121_2012.html

Translation of the lower part of their registration page..

http://www.tvpad.hk/tvpad/01/http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6651/tvpad21.jpg

There is a Movie Valley Video On Demand channel that I can use to watch old programs. I just watch an espisode of a TV series that was shown earlier in Hong Kong this morning. Picture is just below HD quality. Firmware can be upgraded in future. The device is based on the Android OS. New Apps can be downloaded in Future upgraded.

• 4 months later...

This looks a lot like a Roku (http://www.roku.com/) which offers a reasonable price for HDMI output especially when compared to having a full media computer hooked up to your TV or buying an XBox 360 if you are a non-gamer. The thing about the Roku is the content is not really proprietary but just provides access to what is available on the Internet (Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.) Is the content from the M121 not accessible through the internet? My wife watches a lot of Chinese TV on her PC. Is this going to give her access to more?

Doing some more searching, this does not have built in Wifi?

Edited by Beachey (see edit history)

i see this model as well as other different models in nyc chinatown. these devices are great for users that are not pc savy, like my mom who uses it. you do need a high speed connection or its not worth it to buy the device.

Scratch scratch...I have no clue what you ol' boyz is tawkin' 'bout. Somethin' to do with a TV?

LOL...I couldn't get my two favorite Chinertuckians to sit still long enough to watch a a dadgum TV set. Got this here Direct TV thing with some kinda satellite dish lookin' up at the space aliens hooked up for them when we moved into our home last October and it's probably been watched a total of 4 hours ever since....and I'm locked into some dadburned 2 year contract....just countin' the days till I can lose that monthly bill. They like to sit and talk with me, or laugh at me jes being me. I git the fellin' they think I am some kinda crazy American monkey in a zoo sorta thing...all they do is laugh and point their finger at me (in that Chinese way they do when excited or just plain tawkin' to ya) when I walk into the room with my britches pulled up under my armpits and ask if they've seen my readin' glasses which are usually sittin' up on top of my head..

When I got that Direct TV thang, I thought we'd get some Chinertuckians stations so they wouldn't be homesick....so what do they tell me...."We don't need no stinkin' TV, we have enough fun laughin' at your silly butt....I git no respect I tells ya. But in another year, 3 months, 2 days and 25 minutes I can send back their Direct TV black box, chop down the dish link to the men from Mars (I swear they are monitorin' us through that silly thing) and have my freedom from yet another 2 year contract on something I don't need.

What the hell ever happened to rabbit ears anyhow? They figure they weren't makin' enough money offa us, or sompin?

tsap seui

Tsap,

Direct TV and Dish only offer a handful of Mandarin Channels at a premium, the small box being discussed gets hundreds of movies and programs in Mandarin or Cantonese over the internet.

Pop my suspenders and slap me silly, Dan. Them ol' boyz is fulla tricks. Used to be a box only held one thing, maybe a new Stetson or a Jack in the box that popped out at ya, now ya got boxes that has thousands of things...Lordy Lordy Lordy...I am amazed, and overwhelmed with technological information. I ain't even got me enuff brain circuits to process all this information.

tsap seui

Great Topic.

I just received my TVpad2 M121 yesterday and it hooked up very easily to my HD TV. Great picture and soo much content for laopo to watch.

I was paying about $23/mth ($276/yr) to Dish for the "Great Wall Package" of 22 Chinese channels. I got a brand new the TVpad2 for $199 and free shipping on eBay. Arrived in 4 days. I was skeptical about this "box" but it way surpasses our expectations. The TVpad arrived completely setup with all the currently available apps that you use to receive content. When you start up the TVpad you see these apps on your TV screen. They look like the icons you see on smart phones. Clicking on an app with the remote displays a menu of the channels provided by that app. There is a very large selection of movies on the movie app.

Very cool device.

For those interested, I have service from Time Warner cable which provides up to 10 MBPS download speed on the Standard internet service which gives smooth streaming video from the TVpad. Since I don't have a wired internet connection in the room with the TVpad, I am using WIFI to get the internet to the TVpad. Note that the TVpad does not have WIFI built in but requires and external WIFI receiver. My internet cable is connected to an Apple Express wireless router an I am using an Apple Express connected to the TVpad to receive the WIFI signal. As a side note, I usually bring the Apple Express to China with me on my trips as I can always easily setup a convenient wireless network anywhere there is internet provided.