K1 Petition appoved, but how do I know it has been forwarded to NVC?

Hi Guys,

Our K1 Petition was approved by Vermont Service Center (VSC) on 2/27/2012 and got the notice a few days later. I kept tracking the status on USCIS website www.uscis.gov, but it only said "On February 27, 2012, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)."

How can I know the petition has been forwarded to National Visa Center and US consulater Guangzhou? How to follow the next steps?

Currently I am in the US with B2 visa. My permmitted stay is until August 10, 2012. Can we apply K1 visa in the US at National Visa Center with the approved petitiion notice? After got K1 visa, we will get married immiediatedly. So that I don't need to go back to China. If yes, how to do it? If cannot, I will fly back to China as scheduled.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Jingle

Give it a week or so after approval, and you can then call NVC to check status, 603-334-0700 or e-mail: NVCINQUIRY@state.gov If call talk with an operator, the automated system only gives info for I-130 cases, not I-129F cases. If use email, provide petition number, along with name and DOB of both beneficiary and petitioner.

Once NVC says transferred to Guangzhou, again give it a couple weeks to get there and then confirm with Visa services. (202) 663-1225 They will indicate things like P3 sent, P4 sent, and interview dates.

Note, can only interview for K-1 in Guangzhou, not in the states, however an option is to get married on the B2, and then file I-130 and I-485 to adjust status, abandoning the K-1 petition. May have to show you came to visit, visited for a month or so and then decided that could not bare to be apart and then got married. The risk is the USCIS may think you used the B-2 to immigrate, but is a low risk if your timeline showed not getting married very shortly after entry on the B-2

For procedure to adjust status from that B-2 see this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 (You are filing an I-130 petition and an I-485 application together, and paying fees for the two things, but the added cost is less than a round trip to China)

• Like 1

Give it a week or so after approval, and you can then call NVC to check status, 603-334-0700 or e-mail: NVCINQUIRY@state.gov If call talk with an operator, the automated system only gives info for I-130 cases, not I-129F cases. If use email, provide petition number, along with name and DOB of both beneficiary and petitioner.

Once NVC says transferred to Guangzhou, again give it a couple weeks to get there and then confirm with Visa services. (202) 663-1225 They will indicate things like P3 sent, P4 sent, and interview dates.

Note, can only interview for K-1 in Guangzhou, not in the states, however an option is to get married on the B2, and then file I-130 and I-485 to adjust status, abandoning the K-1 petition. May have to show you came to visit, visited for a month or so and then decided that could not bare to be apart and then got married. The risk is the USCIS may think you used the B-2 to immigrate, but is a low risk if your timeline showed not getting married very shortly after entry on the B-2

For procedure to adjust status from that B-2 see this guide: http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide2 (You are filing an I-130 petition and an I-485 application together, and paying fees for the two things, but the added cost is less than a round trip to China)

The intent to get married is obviously there, since they had filed a K-1 petition. No amount of time before getting married will erase that. It is best to consult an immigrations lawyer before trying something like that. Immigrations fraud is a serious matter.

• Like 2

True, If do go the AOS from B-2 path, best to involve a good lawyer.

However, all the time I have been on VJ, the number of denied Adjustments from non-immigrant visas I have seen have been few.

The denials I have seen involve Visa Waiver countries, and cases where the POE specifically made visitor sign a paper stating will not attempt to adjust status, the POE suspected immigrations intent may be the case so had them sign to no adjustment, they also mark I-94 and/or passport no AOS "Adjustment of Status"

For procedure to adjust status from that B-2 see this guide: http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide2 (You are filing an I-130 petition and an I-485 application together, and paying fees for the two things, but the added cost is less than a round trip to China)

Hi Yu and Dan,

Thanks for your kind help. I will call or email NVC to check our K-1 status.

Since I am a freshman here, can you tell me what the meaning of DOB, P1,P2, P3,P4 etc is?Do you have a List of Initials?

Thanks again.

Jingle

The intent to get married is obviously there, since they had filed a K-1 petition. No amount of time before getting married will erase that. It is best to consult an immigrations lawyer before trying something like that. Immigrations fraud is a serious matter.

Hi 玉林,

Thanks for your kind help.

How to contact with an immigrations lawyer? Can I consult USCIS or National Visa Center (NVC)?

GB

Jingle

Hi Yu and Dan,

Thanks for your kind help. I will call or email NVC to check our K-1 status.

Since I am a freshman here, can you tell me what the meaning of DOB, P1,P2, P3,P4 etc is?Do you have a List of Initials?

Thanks again.

Jingle

DOB = Date of Birth

P1 = Petition receipt letter, first letter from USCIS when sending a petition or application to then Also known as NOA1

P2 = Approval notice Also NOA2

P3 = Instruction packet (Is sent to beneficiary contains documents to fill out and return to the US Consulate)

P4 = Invitation packet (Contains medical forms and invitation to interview for visa at consulate) Lately this is an Email, and can download forms from consulate website.

• Like 1

Hi 玉林,

Thanks for your kind help.

How to contact with an immigrations lawyer? Can I consult USCIS or National Visa Center (NVC)?

GB

Jingle

This would be a professional person in the USA contacted and hired to help and consult about process, they are not affiliated with the government.

A recommended one is Marc Ellis (AKA Ellis Island on this site)

http://www.marcellislaw.com/

A while back I did look over papers for a college student, but their case had no immigrations intent issue, she was attending college for some time on a student visa, the intent when entering the USA was to go to school, only later found someone and decided to get married.