Mother and Father in law want to come back to the States on Tourist Vi

We always seem to come here when we have a problem or question. Many thanks to all of you who monitor this site.

Back Story: My mother and father in law (in China) have come to America and have gone back to China. The separate visits were good and now my wife (MX) is pregnant and the idea is that we want the both of them to come to the states again before the baby is born. They had a tourist visa and went back before the deadline so everything was legal and good.

Question: WE want them to come again, what do they need to do in China to get the visa again? I've heard the second time it's easier? Just a letter? To who? To where? DO they have to wait in line again? How long does the second one take?? Anybody have this kind of experience?

Question: WE want them to come again, what do they need to do in China to get the visa again? I've heard the second time it's easier? Just a letter? To who? To where? DO they have to wait in line again? How long does the second one take?? Anybody have this kind of experience?

Renewing a visa is a snap, this can be done in the mail, no interview or visiting the consulate is needed, if visa expired less than 4 years.

More:

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv-application-procedures.html

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/drop-off-service.html#Qualifications%20for%20Drop-off%20Visa%20Service

Thanks Yu and Don.

Question though. your links didn't work at all. I found this information on the Beijing Embassy website:

Visa Renewal/CITIC Bank Drop-off Service

Repeat travelers to the United States may qualify to use the CITIC Bank Drop-off Visa Renewal Service to renew their visas. This process allows qualifying applicants to apply for a new visa by submitting their visa application via CITIC bank. Using the service may eliminate the need to come to your nearest Embassy or Consulate. The use of the drop-off service does not guarantee visa issuance. The Embassy or Consulate may in some cases, after reviewing an application submitted through CITIC Bank, require an applicant to appear in person for a visa interview. Due to increasing demand for visa interview appointments, we strongly encourage visa applicants who are eligible for our drop box system to take advantage of this service.

Applicants may drop-off their visa application at participating branches ofChina CITIC Bank, if they meet the following requirements:

FOR ALL APPLICANTS:

• You must be physically present in China.
  • Your previous visa was a B (temporary visitor for business/pleasure); C1 (transit); D (crewmembers); C1/D (combined transit/crewmember);F (students); J (exchange visitors); M (nonacademic students) or; O (visitors with extraordinary abilities).
  • Your previous visa must be currently valid or must have expired within the last 48 months.
  • You must be applying for the exact same type of visa. You must have provided all 10 fingerprints during a previous visa interview (see example below). Note: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates did not start collecting 10 fingerprints until November 15, 2007. If your previous visa was issued before that date you may not have submitted 10 fingerprints, and are not eligible for this program.

• Applicants renewing F1 visas whose previous visas include an annotation "clearance received" and whose visas expired less than 3 years ago should apply through the drop box submitting all documentation found here. To use the drop box, F1 visa applicants must plan to continue attending a U.S. school or institution in which they are already enrolled.
  • Applicants renewing other eligible visa classes whose previous visas have the "clearance received" annotation should schedule an appointment to apply in person.
  • Applicants renewing J1 visas may use the drop box if they are continuing in an exchange program in which they are already participating.

If you are renewing an H, L, or P visa then you may use our CITIC drop-off service 12 months after the visa has expired. For example, if you visa expires on January 31st, 2012 then you can use the drop-off service up until January 30th 2013. Additional information on visa application procedures can be found here

--------------------------

But I have a problem...Are they supposed to fill out the DS-160 just like everyone else?? But then write down that they have already applied or what? Also, has anyone filled out an application for another person in China before? They say something like this:

Can Other People Assist Me with my Visa Application?

Yes, you can get assistance from other people. Be aware, however, that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. This means that you (the applicant) must click the "Sign Application" button, even if someone else helped you fill the application out. If someone else clicks the button instead of you, your application may not be accepted

What in the world is that?? What does that mean??

--------------------------

But I have a problem...Are they supposed to fill out the DS-160 just like everyone else?? But then write down that they have already applied or what? Also, has anyone filled out an application for another person in China before? They say something like this:

Can Other People Assist Me with my Visa Application?

Yes, you can get assistance from other people. Be aware, however, that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. This means that you (the applicant) must click the "Sign Application" button, even if someone else helped you fill the application out. If someone else clicks the button instead of you, your application may not be accepted

What in the world is that?? What does that mean??

You must include a copy of

The DS-160 application form confirmation page, with your email address, your name, the telecodes for your name, home address, company name and company address written in Hanzi handwritten on your form.

Why wouldn't you simply include a copy of the passport page showing the previous visa?

you (the applicant) must click the "Sign Application" button

This seems pretty easy to understand. It's not clear that they could possibly verify WHO clicked the button, but they want some assurance that the applicant "signed" it in this way.

Thanks Yu and Don.

Question though. your links didn't work at all. I found this information on the Beijing Embassy website:

Links should work, they do for me. Do not copy and paste into address bar, should be active links, just click them.

Is same info as on Beijing site as on Guangzhou site.

Nothing complicated, if they had valid Visit visas within the past 4 years, then should be able to renew by mail.

http://guangzhou.use...y-china.org.cn/ (under visas non-immigrant)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks Yu and Don.

Links should work, they do for me. Do not copy and paste into address bar, should be active links, just click them.

Is same info as on Beijing site as on Guangzhou site.

Nothing complicated, if they had valid Visit visas withing the past 4 years, the should be able to renew by mail.

http://guangzhou.use...y-china.org.cn/ (under visas non-immigrant)

Links worked fine for me - sent the web address to my lady friend whose parents are renewing their visa. Their not too worried about it, but I understand how the birth of a child is a more pressing issue.