Expats get wide range of services at new Pudong center

dnoblett

http://vivianyang.net/img_src/P8_C_CHINA_DAILY.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/ExpatsOffice.jpg

SHANGHAI - A service center catering for foreign residents has officially opened in the city's Pudong New Area following a two-month trial period.

The Foreign Affairs Service Station, set up by Pudong district police and Lianyang community at No 3 Building, 2797 Yaogao Middle Road, provides temporary residence permits and guidance on daily life and work. Eight staff workers offer assistance in English, Japanese and Korean.

"The station is equipped with personal data systems, so expats can complete temporary residence registration here in a short time, rather than having to go to the local police department and wait a long time," said Sun Qianyi, a Pudong district police officer.

The station also offers assistance to expats on more day-to-day aspects of life.

MORE: http://usa.chinadail...nt_14667348.htm

Wow, Dan - looks like a really nice service for the large expat community in Lianyang and Shanghai. There are 5300 expats in Lianyang and way more in Shanghai proper. I think this can be a very positive thing in that it is stated that one of the goals is to bring the cultures together. I recall clearly my first year in China, spent in Hefei, Anhui, prior to moving to Guangdong for the next four years, was just the opposite. The Party at the school where I taught did everything they could to keep the foreign teachers isolated, except for educational activities. They did everything imaginable (including putting an eletronic listening device under my bed) in an attempt to break up the relationship between Li and myself. It got to be ridiculous after awhile, almost laughable. It is the main reason we moved after the first year. Hefei is better I hear, but remains very conservative and the Party is still strong. Something like this would be unheard of there, unless it was done for "show" and was mere window dressing. I hope this things works very well and spreads. It will make living in China easier for many expats.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Wow, Dan - looks like a really nice service for the large expat community in Lianyang and Shanghai. There are 5300 expats in Lianyang and way more in Shanghai proper. I think this can be a very positive thing in that it is stated that one of the goals is to bring the cultures together. I recall clearly my first year in China, spent in Hefei, Anhui, prior to moving to Guangdong for the next four years, was just the opposite. The Party at the school where I taught did everything they could to keep the foreign teachers isolated, except for educational activities. They did everything imaginable (including putting an eletronic listening device under my bed) in an attempt to break up the relationship between Li and myself. It got to be ridiculous after awhile, almost laughable. It is the main reason we moved after the first year. Hefei is better I hear, but remains very conservative and the Party is still strong. Something like this would be unheard of there, unless it was done for "show" and was mere window dressing. I hope this things works very well and spreads. It will make living in China easier for many expats.

There are isolated attempts in the bigger cities to provide assistance to foreigners. But, there continues, and may always be resistance to help foreign people who live and work in China. No matter how long a foreigner lives here, they will always be a foreigner in the eyes of most Chinese. I have done battle with my small HR department in Nanjing, over numerous issues; including their constant sending of email in Chinese language directed at English speakers. Just about any foreigner who works in China is paid a higher salary than the typical Chinese person. As you can imagine, the Chinese know this, and seem to becoming less and less tolerant of it. It's a good idea to pay attention to the many faces presented by Chinese people in business. While some are open and pure with a single face, quite a few others will present one face to the Expat, and another to their Chinese colleagues.

Wow, I wish Beijing would get one of these.

It's not so much going to the local PSB or the Lama Temple big "visa center" that's the problem, but it's getting different answers from different people you ask questions to.

It seems like a one-stop shop like this, dealing specifically with issues for foreigners would streamline the process and make it alot more simple.

Something like this would be unheard of there, unless it was done for "show" and was mere window dressing.

I think it is quite possible this office in Pudong is nothing more that.

Hmmm, now that I think about it more, more than not quite likely........I think I just got alittle too excited at the prospect of a center like this.