Chinese birth certificate

Does anyone know if a Chinese birth certificate is required for getting a passport or is only the family book and ID required. To get Chinese birth certificate require the person to have the ID of both parents. Her parents don't want to give her their ID. She already had to travel few thousand miles to her home town just to get the passport as it has to be applied to in the birth town. Is there any other way to get a passport.

The obvious answer is ask. The people she would apply to at the PSB are the ones who would know.

My guess is that she will need the birth certificate, but the hukou book may be enough.

She will need the birth certificate anyway if she will be applying for a visa, but if she absolutely cannot get one, she will need to explain this. Be sure to document what roadblocks you hit.

Thanks folks. I am finding out a lot about how the Chinese control the people. First they have to return to their home town just to apply for passport, which happens to be several thousand miles away. Second you need the family book, third you need ID from both parents to get a birth certificate which you also need. This makes getting a passport impossible for parents that don't want their daughter to marry a foreigner. If they refuse to release the family book to her to get passport, refuse to surrender their ID to get her birth certificate, etc. So an adult in China is trapped in the country by their parents if they don't want her to leave which is my case.

The only 'birth certificate' my wife ever got was a white book that gave her date of birth, her parents names, and their dates of birth. This information all came from her hukou. My wife changed her hukou from her hometown after college so she was no longer on her father's hukou.

I am pretty sure she got her passport just using her hukou with no birth certificate as she got the passport shortly after we started dating and before I started looking into all the immigration details.

Still, you are right, unless her parents are willing to give her the hukou she will not be able to get a passport and she will also not be able to get married in China without the hukou.

Depends on how much she wants to defy her parents but she might be able to get a duplicate hukou but she would still need to go back to her hometown. And depending on how big it is, it might not be possible to do that without her parents finding out anyway.

Ultimately, you will need to win over her parents if your relationship will work.

It is not as difficult as you may imagine to apply a passport in China nowadays .

To apply for a passport in China, you need :

1 Application form from passport issuing office,

2 Family book(hukou) of yours and copy,

3 ID card and copy,

4 your photo.

5 around 30 or 40 dollars.

You don't usually need your parents' family book unless you are under 16years old or you have not separate yourself from your parents in that book. you may need employers written opinion if you work for government related offices.

If you could tell me which city your girlfriend live in, I may find the website and help you more

Edited by dnoblett
Formatting (see edit history)

It is not as difficult as you may imagine to apply a passport in China nowadays .

To apply for a passport in China, you need :

1 Application form from passport issuing office,

2 Family book(hukou) of yours and copy,

3 ID card and copy,

4 your photo.

5 around 30 or 40 dollars.

You don't usually need your parents' family book unless you are under 16years old or you have not separate yourself from your parents in that book. you may need employers written opinion if you work for government related offices.

If you could tell me which city your girlfriend live in, I may find the website and help you more

I was thinking same thing, If independent from home, then should have their own household book, as well as a national ID, this should be able to acquire a birth cert, and passport without involvement of parents.

• 3 weeks later...

Like others said, you don't need the birth certificate to get a passport (my wife didn't even have a birth certificate at the time she got her passport), but you will need it to get an immigrant visa to the US. (So she just got the birth certificate a couple weeks ago.)

My wife is confused as to whether she has to go back to her hometown to get her birth certificate, or to the city where her Hukou is....??? She is from Shanxi Province but her Hukou is in Ningbo. So, where should she get her Birth Certificate?

You don't say (definitively) where she was born, or how her hukou ended up in Ningbo. But between her, her parents, her "hometown", her birth town, and the hukou officials, at least one of those should known where she needs to go.

My bet is on the hukou.

• Like 1