About to take the plunge (CR-1)

Hi all,

So, with the help of many of you here, my wife and I have been planning to apply for a CR-1 visa, and I think we're finally ready to take the first official step by filing the initial petition. I live in Beijing, and have for the past couple years, so we'll be going the DCF route. Here's what we've got, all of which -- if I understand it correctly -- we need to submit right away as part of this first step (right?)

FORMS:

• i-130
  • g-325a (for me)
  • g-325a (for her)
  • g-1145

SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL:

• Supplemental paper with full addresses in Chinese and English (it was impossible to fit them all on the forms themselves, some are very long).
  • Copies of the relevant pages of our marriage certificates, with translation.
  • Letter from me explaining out relationship and how we've been living together for the past two years.
  • Letter from each of my parents in the US, confirming that our relationship is real.
  • Letter from her father (and certified translation) confirming that our relationship is real and that he has met me and that we have visited her parents several times.
  • A selection of photos of the two of us together in different places and at different times throughout our relationship, from right after we first met through our marriage photos, with captions explaining when/where each photo was taken.
  • A printout of our email/chat logs from gmail, and a short introduction pointing out how it shows we've been in constant contact since we started dating, even while I was living in the US a couple years ago.

That's all going to be arranged and organized in a nice binder sort of thing (should I put the actual forms in there too), but anyway, I was wondering what I'm missing here, or how this all looks...? Is there any additional form or proof required for DCF? Also, I recall reading people talking about how I would have to prove "domicile" filing for DCF, but didn't see anything about that on the forms, so I'm guessing that comes later in the process, right? Or is that the big hole in what I'm missing....? (I should be OK with that, as I have maintained US credit card, bank account, etc., but if I need to provide domicile proof now, what sort of proof is best?)

Also, a very practical question, and one I was gonna call and ask about on Monday, but in case anywhere here knows, how do I file this? I mean like literally, physically, where do I go and who do I hand this to in Beijing?

Looks good.

Keep any binding simple, a large clip to hold together and basic folder is fine.

USA domicile evidence is needed for the I-864 you turn in at the visa interview several months from now.

G-325A not G325

Proof of US citizenship Photo copy of bio page from US passport will do.

2x2" (50mmx50mm) Passport photo of petitioner and benificiary.

More http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Looks good.

Keep any binding simple, a large clip to hold together and basic folder is fine.

USA domicile evidence is needed for the I-864 you turn in at the visa interview several months from now.

G-325A not G325

Proof of US citizenship Photo copy of bio page from US passport will do.

2x2" (50mmx50mm) Passport photo of petitioner and benificiary.

More http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Thanks! Yes, I meant g-325a, that's what I've filled out, just left off the "a" by mistake. Thanks for the link! Good to know the domicle stuff is later down the line. I've read so much I suddenly started thinking maybe there was some big form I was missing....

I would think that Beijing is closed on Monday for MLK Holiday. I did not follow the link above, but likely it mentions that you must schedule an appointment for USCIS in Beijing. You will go to your appointment and hand in your documents there (don't forget to pay)! Good luck!

It was indeed closed on MLK day but I got an appointment for today, and just got back from filing it. Just in case anyone is curious about the timeline right now in Beijing (not sure if it changes ever), I was told they'd need three months to process it (in Beijing, I assume) and then -- if it gets approved -- it would be sent to Guangzhou. I'm guessing if it gets approved, that's when they'll ask for the additional proof of domicile, tax records, etc?

They may call you in for an interview in Beijing for interview before appproving petition and sending to Guangzho.

And yes Domicile and affidavit of support wont be needed until the Guangzho interview.