advice for helping boyfriend get a tourist visa

Hi everyone!

I know this is a pretty common topic, but I could really use some helpful advice.

I am thinking about going to grad school in the states, the problem is I don't want to do the whole long distance thing again. I want to bring my boyfriend back to the states with me. I know it will be difficult for him to get a tourist visa. I have read a lot of forums about this topic, and I know he has to have bank statments and ties to China ect. but everything listed on these websites are usually too general. Does anyone have suggestions? How can we convince the VO that he will return to China?

My boyfriend and I have been together 6 years. He is only 21 so he doesn't have any money or assests. His parents just built a new house, would that be of any help to him? How do I show that I will take care of him finacially? Also he hasn't had a job for over a year ( he was injured and hasn't worked since). He is a hair stylist, if he did start working again and got a letter from his boss would that be of any use? or is this kind of employment not substantial enough?

All of his family is in China, but they are all farmers. Could we argue that he will come back to China because all his family is there and as the eldest son he has a postition of responsiblity to his family?

thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight you have!!

do they do the visa interview in Chinese?

Honeybun asked the same question I was thinking Spouse or Fiancee visa, but this assums you are a US citizen.

I have the feeling that the poster is also a Chinese citizen, in which case neither spouse or fiancee visa are an option.

This is a tough one, I have a few friends who came to the USA for school, and eventually landed a job in the USA got green card, and then petitioned for spouse, or even did the 5 years residency applied for citizenship, and then petitioned their spouses visa.

Again without strong ties to the home country, a tourist visa may be tough to get, the VO always assumes immigration intent, having a friend in school looks like the intent is to visit and not leave.

Honeybun asked the same question I was thinking Spouse or Fiancee visa, but this assums you are a US citizen.

I have the feeling that the poster is also a Chinese citizen, in which case neither spouse or fiancee visa are an option.

This is a tough one, I have a few friends who came to the USA for school, and eventually landed a job in the USA got green card, and then petitioned for spouse, or even did the 5 years residency applied for citizenship, and then petitioned their spouses visa.

Again without strong ties to the home country, a tourist visa may be tough to get, the VO always assumes immigration intent, having a friend in school looks like the intent is to visit and not leave.

??!? Aren't we talking F-1/F-2 here (IF she's a Chinese citizen AND they get married)?

Acceptance at a school that will give her an I-20 will get her the F-1 - her husband can follow shortly after on an F-2.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

thanks for all the replys so far.

I am actually an american citizen. I have been in and out of China for several years now and want to return to the US to do my master's.

We are not interested in getting married at this point. How many months do tourist visa's ussually last? Can you get them renewed or extended in the States? If he could stay at least 6 months that would be great. We can do long distance for a couple months, but I don't want to be apart for a year.

Also he can't speak any English.

??!? Aren't we talking F-1/F-2 here (IF she's a Chinese citizen AND they get married)?

Acceptance at a school that will give her an I-20 will get her the F-1 - her husband can follow shortly after on an F-2.

Good point F-1 F-2 is the option I did not think of.

Not a lot of info specific to the F-2 but this page is a good start. http://faq.visapro.com/F2-Visa-FAQ.asp

thanks for all the replys so far.

I am actually an american citizen. I have been in and out of China for several years now and want to return to the US to do my master's.

We are not interested in getting married at this point. How many months do tourist visa's ussually last? Can you get them renewed or extended in the States? If he could stay at least 6 months that would be great. We can do long distance for a couple months, but I don't want to be apart for a year.

Also he can't speak any English.

Tourist visas are valid for 1 year, and it is up to the POE as to how long a person can stay, showing documentation at the POE explaining anticipated stay, the POE can set the length of stay anywhere from 90 days to 6 months.

Recent topic for B-2 visit visa. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44298-b2-visa-qs/

Other option if fails to get a B-2, is to file an I-129F for a fiancee visa, and run that through the process, you are not required to marry however this visa is only allowed a 90 day stay with no extension, however an overstay of LESS than 6 months would not affect a future visa petition and visa interview.

I kinda hate to be the doom and gloom guy, though it does fit the times right now, but isn't what the OP asking for effectively impossible?

A visitor visa for someone who is your long term boyfriend so he can be in the States with you? It would be awesome if it happened, but I'd sooner expect the sun to rise at midnight to be honest.

Barring some form of magic or extreme luck, it isn't going to happen. Does that mean you shouldn't try? No. You could get exceedingly lucky and the only cost is time and money. Just be prepared for an almost certain denial and have a backup plan. I hate that it is this way. :(

Your largest difficulty is whether or not the VO will actually bother to examine any of your evidence that he'll return or listen to any argument. They often don't and will deny out of hand, seemingly based purely on factors such as age and assets.

Other option if fails to get a B-2, is to file an I-129F for a fiancee visa, and run that through the process, you are not required to marry however this visa is only allowed a 90 day stay with no extension, however an overstay of LESS than 6 months would not affect a future visa petition and visa interview.

Be careful about following this advice - http://www.kvisausa.com/Currently-in-the-U-S/Overstay.shtml

The reason we tell people to call us before they leave the U.S. is that they may be unable to return for either three or ten years if they leave without planning for their return. The best time to call is before your visa expires, but if it has already expired, you should still get legal advice in advance of leaving the country.

A 21 year old single Chinese male with no job or strong ties to ensure he will return to China will have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a B2 visa to visit the US. It puzzles me why you can't stand to be without him for six months but not enough to marry him.

I would have to agree with Worpedboard on this one, if the relationship is that strong I would be getting married, and filing an spouse visa petition.

Sounds like you qualify to file the petition DCF in China which is much quicker than from the states.

Your spouse would be able to enter the USA and remain permanently, and even work in the USA if so chooses.

Sounds pretty much like what this couple is doing.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/user/68657-mn2china/D

Ive kept quiet but followed this thread with interest. It's going to be next to impossible for him to get a B2 without having stronger connections to China. My thought process somewhat follows warpesboard's and dnoblett's.

I don't have a problem being apart from him 6 months but two years is a bit much. We have done a long distance relationship in the past, which is fine for a period of time, but I have had enough of it.

Although we are serious, marriage is something we want to wait on. He is still a bit young to be getting married. Yes, I know it would be legal to marry in the States, but at 21 that is still below the legal mariage age for Chinese men.

Ahh yes, I forgot about that - the legal age for men is 22 and 20 for women if I'm not mistaken