Dad Wu coming and going... how soon to apply for another visa?

Here's another situation. Dad Wu is coming today from Shanghai to JFK. I'll pick him up.

He'll leave in about a month. That's in 2012. He's heard stories that if you are abroad or something in one year you can't go again in the same year.

Now, MX is pregnant! YEAH! The idea then is that Mom Wu doesn't want to come all by herself later this year to take care of MX and help with the new baby. She needs to have Dad Wu come with her. The question is... if Dad Wu goes back to China in January 2012, can he reapply for another VISA later and come with Mom Wu...in May of 2012?

Does that make sense??

Any thoughts would be helpful.

As long as his visa is valid, no problem for him to reenter USA next year. It means, for instance, if his visa will expire in December 2012, he can enter USA again before December 2012. If he does need to reapply for a visa, theoretically there is no limit on how long you have to wait. But at the interview, I think, the officer may concern why he needs to visit USA again during a short period. On the other hand, the officer may be happy with your Dad-in-law's good USA visit record.

I never heard the story he knew. No worries. Wish your wife have a safe pregnancy. The baby will be born in the year of Dragon!

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

Yes can leave and return again on the same visa, it is multi entry.

Only issue is the POE may set a shorter period of stay for the second visit.

In some cases I have seen on VJ, a person enters the USA stays close to 90 days or the period indicated by POE officer, and thinks that a short trip out of the USA and back may get them another 90 days or so, and then are shocked to see the POE officer catch that, and gives them a short or no stay.

If you're talking about a B2 visa it is no problem for reentry as long as the visa is valid of course. BTW Congrats on the upcoming addition

Hey everyone. Thanks for the great advice and suggestions and the congrats!

I have more information. Dad Wu's B1/B2 visa is from April 2011 to April 2012. He had things going on all year and now was when he could come. He'll be going back in January. So no problem there. But both Dad Wu and Mom Wu would like to come in June or so to be with us for the birth and ×øÔÂ×Ó¡£ So... mid January to June... is that enough time to get another visa for the both of them? Their visas both expire at the same time. To explain more from my first post... Dad Wu's question was that he's heard that in this situation he feels that they wouldn't be able to get the visa since their visa expired in 2012 already.

I don't see why that would be a restriction but there are many illogical things going on in the US government right now.

Hey everyone. Thanks for the great advice and suggestions and the congrats!

I have more information. Dad Wu's B1/B2 visa is from April 2011 to April 2012. He had things going on all year and now was when he could come. He'll be going back in January. So no problem there. But both Dad Wu and Mom Wu would like to come in June or so to be with us for the birth and ×øÔÂ×Ó¡£ So... mid January to June... is that enough time to get another visa for the both of them? Their visas both expire at the same time. To explain more from my first post... Dad Wu's question was that he's heard that in this situation he feels that they wouldn't be able to get the visa since their visa expired in 2012 already.

I don't see why that would be a restriction but there are many illogical things going on in the US government right now.

Should not have any problems applying for another visa, no interview involved, should be able to do it through the mail.

Visiting the USA and returning to China without overstaying shows a good track record.