Social Security Card...slow or not coming?

Hello guys! I checked that my wife wants a social security card on our visa application, but its already been a month since we have been here and we still haven't received it. We just got the green card in the mail recently. Was I suppose to do anything else? She needs it for taking the driver licenses test in my state.

My wife's never showed up either, we haven't had a chance yet but I think you just need to go to your local social security office with the green card (and maybe passport as a second ID) and they should be able to issue a card to your wife.

My wife's never showed up either, we haven't had a chance yet but I think you just need to go to your local social security office with the green card (and maybe passport as a second ID) and they should be able to issue a card to your wife.

We waited a couple weeks and then went to the SS office...it just fell through the cracks. The clerk told us that we did the right thing by checking on it because it may not have shown up.

Never wait for the government to so something when you can do it yourself. I went to the SS office a week after she got here and the SS card came

Same here. We went to the SS office on a Wednesday, two days after our wedding; the card came inthe mail the following Monday.approx 1 week later.

Hey guys,

So my wife and I made it safely to America in time for the holidays. We received her green card in the mail a few weeks ago and a letter telling us that her SSN would be mailed within 3 weeks. It's been 8 weeks now and nothing has come in the mail. We called the 1-800 number they gave us "if it doesn't arrive within 3 weeks," but after calling that specified number, the nice lady told me, "We're a call center. If you don't have a SSN, we can't help you."

So, who can tell us what's going on??

Hey guys,

So my wife and I made it safely to America in time for the holidays. We received her green card in the mail a few weeks ago and a letter telling us that her SSN would be mailed within 3 weeks. It's been 8 weeks now and nothing has come in the mail. We called the 1-800 number they gave us "if it doesn't arrive within 3 weeks," but after calling that specified number, the nice lady told me, "We're a call center. If you don't have a SSN, we can't help you."

So, who can tell us what's going on??

GO to the SSA office and order a replacement card. As the others in this topic said don't wait for the .GOV to do this.

The standard procedure, is enter USA, and wait 2-4 weeks, if nothing shows up, visit SSA office...

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

It was 4 months before my wife got her SS Card. We went to the SS Office every few weeks, same Bull story, "it should be here soon". We ended up going to our Congressman's office. The local SS Office, and the main SS Office gave the Congressman's office a load of bull also, that it usually takes up to 6 months to issue a card.

The Congressman's office called me and told me this load of bull on a thursday, and we got the card the next day, friday, in the mail. I stopped into the Congressman's office that day, and showed them the card, and stamped letter to show them how the SS Office had given them a load of false information(bull crap).......

It was 4 months before my wife got her SS Card. We went to the SS Office every few weeks, same Bull story, "it should be here soon". We ended up going to our Congressman's office. The local SS Office, and the main SS Office gave the Congressman's office a load of bull also, that it usually takes up to 6 months to issue a card.

The Congressman's office called me and told me this load of bull on a thursday, and we got the card the next day, friday, in the mail. I stopped into the Congressman's office that day, and showed them the card, and stamped letter to show them how the SS Office had given them a load of false information(bull crap).......

Yep total bull. It only takes about 2 - 3 weeks after arriving in the USA for USCIS to have the SAVE database updated showing that immigrant is in the USA and authorized to work, so that SSA can issue the SSN.

Some SSA offices give K-1 holders some problems issuing a SSN, in cases like that, go to another office, perhaps one close to a larger city.

In my wife's case we never had problems getting a SSN card, she applied twice, Once after marriage for a restricted SSN card, and later after getting green-card, we returned to SSA office and ordered an newer UN-restricted SSN card. In both cases we had no issues at the SSA office in Rochester, and In Greece NY