Auto Insurance for a New Immigrant

I was discussing adding my wife to my auto insurance with my agent. My wife does have a driver's license in China though my understanding is the license is not recognized in the US. So my wife will have to pass the driver's test in America. However, he told me if I had evidence of her driving record in China, she would not be classified as a new driver. The goal here obviously is to add her to my insurance as cheaply as possible.

Has anyone successfully gotten a driver's record from China? How did you do it?

Alternatively, any advice as to cost effective methods of obtaining auto insurance in the US is appreciated.

In my case I bought a beater car for my wife to learn to drive in, she had a permit for at least 2 years before finally passing the test.

I informed my insurance agent that she will be driver of the second car after passing the road test, the insurance did not increase any.

My insurance is Allstate.

Since Beachy and his Wife live in AZ..

39) What is needed for a person from another country to drive in Arizona?

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an International Driving License or Permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.

However, Arizona law requires that you obtain an Arizona driver license (and vehicle registration) immediately if any one of the following applies. If you:

1. Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work) -or-
  2. Are registered to vote in Arizona -or-
  3. Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident -or-
  4. Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state -or-
  5. Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident -or-
  6. Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona -or-
  7. Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/FAQsResponse.asp?Category=1&Keyword

I know with NY, the state will exchange one for one a Canadian Driver's license, but for most other countries, the state makes go through the learners permit process with road test.

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an International Driving License or Permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.

However, Arizona law requires that you obtain an Arizona driver license (and vehicle registration) immediately if any one of the following applies. If you:

3. Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident -or-
  4. Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state -or-
  5. Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident -or-
  6. Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona -or-
  7. Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

I know with NY, the state will exchange one for one a Canadian Driver's license, but for most other countries, the state makes go through the learners permit process with road test.

At lot have answered this...but a slight twist on some of the answers: (1) Each State is different but more importantly each "Crazy Insurance Agent/Company" is different. (2) Generally Chinese drivers licenses are good for 1 year after entering the US - International DL is recommended for translation of non English writing (3) Our Insurance company, just wanted a copy of the International DL and the Chinese DL to see when the "Issue date" was. This date then became her date of qualified driving...ergo if she had 2 years of driving experience, which she did, she was treated as a 34 year old female with no adverse actions...and more than 2 years of driving experience...bottom line....NO increase to my Insurance Rates! The company was USAA. Your mileage may vary!

At lot have answered this...but a slight twist on some of the answers: (1) Each State is different but more importantly each "Crazy Insurance Agent/Company" is different. (2) Generally Chinese drivers licenses are good for 1 year after entering the US - International DL is recommended for translation of non English writing (3) Our Insurance company, just wanted a copy of the International DL and the Chinese DL to see when the "Issue date" was. This date then became her date of qualified driving...ergo if she had 2 years of driving experience, which she did, she was treated as a 34 year old female with no adverse actions...and more than 2 years of driving experience...bottom line....NO increase to my Insurance Rates! The company was USAA. Your mileage may vary!

I've been wondering what USAA (41 year member) would do with us. Wenyan has had no Chinese drivers license.

I racoon time will tell, once we get to that point.

tsap seui

http://www.azdot.gov...egory=1

Thanks, I think it is in her best interests to go though the instruction permit process here in AZ as her actually driving experience in China is limited and in America traffic laws are actually enforced. rolleyes.gif Before I came to China, we had a lot of Chinese employees training with us in Arizona. Those with Chinese driving licenses were allowed to drive but they had to pass the driver's test in AZ and were issued AZ driver's licenses. The number of accidents was pretty high and those were rental cars with insurance covered by my company.

I do appreciate the feedback on the insurance from everyone.