Learning English

It's been mentioned before that watching cartoons can help new immigrants learn English better. After 2.5 months, I've been watching my step-son's English improve by leaps and bounds. Even now as I write this, he is watching Scooby Doo and singing along with commercials. Not bad.

Here's the down side. The other day we were shooting pool. After missing a shot, he blurted out, "Damn it!" Dad's to blame for that. Later in the game came an "Oh my God" and "$hit." Guess dad's to blame for those too. But last night, I wasn't ready for what was to come. The kid started hitting my butt and said, "Dad...you have a strong a$$." Huh???? Where'd that come from? That's not one of my words. I asked him where he learned that word. "Futurama," he said with pride! Oops...guess I shouldn't let him watch late night Cartoon Network, although I find it pretty dang funny. Time to be a good dad from now on. That'll have to include not listening to Howard Stern on our drives to school. When Howard gets into the sex stuff, after awhile I'll hear "Oh, dad!" from the back seat.

At least he hasn't found the Spice Channel...yet.

As to what to watch and what is good for you, it is only relatively speaking. Cartons work for some, soaps work for others. Back when there was no TVs, there was no shortage of language geniuses.

Language abilitly has direct link to age -- the older you are, the more difficult it becomes, and more accent you will pick up.

Kids under 12 would need to worry more about their native languages than their English here. My niece came to Canada Xmas 2000, at age 10. On Xmas 2003, she talked over an hour to me on the phone only in English, accent free. Last time I called, I thought my sister-in-law picked up the phone, so I spoke Chinese to her, it turned out to be my niece and she stuttered some Chinese to me and I could not believe it -- she stumbled through telling me where her parents were! This is someone whose parents brought over the entire set of Chinese/math text books up to high school from China. They are tutoring her at home weekly.

I also know quite a few of my friends, whose children either came very young or were born here, they are taking them to the Chinese school at weekends -- imagine - these kids have no weekends to speak of. I often recommend to those parents: speak only Chinese to them at home. But the irony is the parents really need to learn English from their Children, too. Oh, well, you can't have it all -- do the best you can.

Last week My wife and I watched "Spirited Away", an award-winning Japanese cartoon.  Even my wife likes it.  She used to hate watching cartoons.  She also loves "Ice Age" and "Lilo and Stitch".  The Disney cartoons don't usually have bad words.

yes good show, have you see the "Grave of the Fireflies" it is a sad show and will probably make you wife cry but a good show just the same.

As to what to watch and what is good for you, it is only relatively speaking.  Cartons work for some, soaps work for others.  Back when there was no TVs, there was no shortage of language geniuses. 

Language abilitly has direct link to age -- the older you are, the more difficult it becomes, and more accent you will pick up. 

Kids under 12 would need to worry more about their native languages than their English here.  My niece came to Canada Xmas 2000, at age 10.  On Xmas 2003, she talked over an hour to me on the phone only in English, accent free. Last time I called, I thought my sister-in-law picked up the phone, so I spoke Chinese to her, it turned out to be my niece and she stuttered some Chinese to me and I could not believe it -- she stumbled through telling me where her parents were!  This is someone whose parents brought over the entire set of Chinese/math text books up to high school from China.  They are tutoring her at home weekly.

I also know quite a few of my friends, whose children either came very young or were born here, they are taking them to the Chinese school at weekends  -- imagine - these kids have no weekends to speak of.  I often recommend to those parents: speak only Chinese to them at home.  But the irony is the parents really need to learn English from their Children, too. Oh, well, you can't have it all -- do the best you can.

Charlotte,

Thanks for the insights. I hope we're doing it right. Now, Ben is enrolled in a "private" school here in Vegas. It's call the Nevada Chinese Academy (NCA). In the morning, he works with younger children with English phonics and vocab. In the afternoon, he studies Chinese. He loves his school, but hates that they teach traditional Chinese writing instead of the simplified he learned in China. I figure a year there will help with the transition into public school next year. Soon, I'll call the school and have him tested to see that we place him in the correct grade.

The plan now is to have him continue his Chinese studies at NCA after he begins public school. He'll be a busy bugger. I figure the Chinese school can help him with his English studies too....sort of like an after school tutor. He'll also be forced to keep up with his Chinese. You're right...what a waste to have it all go away. My dream is that he'll eventually go to the university and major in Chinese and major in the field of his choice. Of course, that's all up to him. I double majored in German and Psychology and have never regretted it once. It opened many doors that might have been closed to me otherwise.

So tell me...are we doing the right thing???

I hope we're doing it right.  ......  My dream is that he'll eventually go to the university and major in Chinese and major in the field of his choice.  Of course, that's all up to  him.

So tell me...are we doing the right thing???

Dave, I am always impressed at how the Americans embrace their adoptive children as their own. Coming from China, where “blood is thicker than water” is overly emphasized; the people I met on candle and my husband never cease to amaze me in this area. I think you are doing great with the way you plan for your stepson. He is really lucky to have you as a dad.

As we all know, there is no clear-cut way to raise a child in a bilingual environment. My personal preference is: if you look Chinese, you’d better be good at Chinese, otherwise, people in this country would regard you as “somewhat handicapped.” Like it or not, this is a reality. Americans are more forgiving and tolerant if you don’t speak good English. I believe that’s why so many Chinese parents are so painstakingly dragging their kids to Chinese school at weekends. Other than keeping the heritage in the family, it will also come in handy in 20-30 years when they are on their own in this competitive global economy. As there are more ABCs born in this country, they really sound funny when they try to speak Chinese (with American accent). They all found out one thing – Chinese is harder than English. I think now the parents are catching on now. It is very easy for the children to drop Chinese here; it would be more difficulty to pick up later.

To finish this with a joke from Europe: (sorry, don’t mean to be American-bashing; since we are on the language topic):

If one speaks 4 languages, he is a quatrolingual;

If one speaks 3 languages, he is a trilingual;

If one speaks 2 languages, he is a bilingual;

If one speaks only 1 language, he is an American!

:lol: :lol: :lol: