Currently, how long would it take from NVC to Guangzhou?

I think you're on a different (faster) track with the Employment visa, but I may be thinking more of spouses.

Of course, the follow-to-join aspect puts you in a different category, but I think family members are processed fairly efficiently for H1B categories.

In any event, you're in the ballpark!

It looks like that any messages/questions I sent to Guangzhou will be attached to my case for their future reference: last Friday I asked a question using the Consulate Guangzhou's online form regarding whether or not an applicant under 18 year's old can be a accompanied by one parent to the interview (the official Guangzhou website has conflicting messages: the English page says Yes while the Chinese page says No :)), here is Guangzhou's reply:

-----------------------------------------------------------

We regret that our message has caused you some confusion. Please allow us to offer a help to clarify it for you.

Due to visa hall's limited space and security concerns, our security guard will give admission based on applicant's situation when s/he is under 18-year-old while over 14-year-old. It is really hard for us to accommodate all related people especially if we have full schedules on that date. Your cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Last, please rest assured that we will invite the parent or guardian again if interviewing officer thinks it is needed during the interview.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Then this morning when I called the DOS hotline to check case status, the officer who took the call immediately read the above response to me and said the answer was Yes if I really want to go with my son for the interview. Obviously my question and Guangzhou's reply have been recorded into their system and linked to my son's case.

Unfortunately the officer who took my call this morning didn't know how to check if Guangzhou has received the physical file or not, the only thing she could tell me was that the case has been loaded into the system but no interview date set yet.

Edited by gougou (see edit history)