Caught in the act

credzba

My wife caught me this morning, I was enjoying the touch of soft flesh in my hands, the heat of the desire in my eyes.

Now, never again will I be allowed fried bacon.

It seems the blackened pork causes cancer, and the process for preserving bacon makes it doubly bad.

You all know how tight our wives are, but mine threw 2 pounds of thick sliced bacon in the trash!

Have others found out the hard way that blackened meat causes cancer?

May have a point, as long as I can remember my father has always said done eat charred meat, and I have always prefered Med-Rare and never cared for Carbonixed over cooked.

It has long been known that the carbon on burned meat contains carcinogens.

Here is an interesting one.

(Reuters) - People who regularly eat burned or charred red meat, like that cooked on a grill, have a 60 percent higher risk of pancreatic cancer, U.S. researchers reported Tuesday.

The finding is one of the strongest yet linking very well-done meat, especially red meat, to cancer.

"Our findings in this study are further evidence that turning down the heat when grilling, frying, and barbecuing to avoid excess burning or charring of the meat may be a sensible way for some people to lower their risk for getting pancreatic cancer," Kristin Anderson of the University of Minnesota, who led the study, said in a statement.

"I've focused my research on pancreatic cancer for some time to identify ways to prevent this cancer because treatments are very limited and the cancer is often rapidly fatal," said Anderson, who presented her findings to meeting of the American Association of Cancer Research in Denver.

Charred meat contains several known cancer-causing chemicals, including heterocyclic amines. Many studies have linked these compounds with cancer risk, although they have mostly been based on people remembering what they ate in the past....

MORE: http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/04/22/us-cancer-pancreatic-meat-idUSTRE53K5QI20090422

Funny thing, my wife always complains when I order a steak med-rare, she always says "It's Raw!"

Today, Rong and I had a flat iron stek cooked outside on the grill....we never wash or clean the grate as that makes the meat stick...maybe we scrape off the buildup once or twice a year...but anyway, she likes the steak cooked the same as I....somewhere between rare and med. rare....red in the center doesn't bother us at all....and I don't know why, but it always seem to taste the best when we eat it right off the grill....just slice off and eat a little at a time as it is cooking...have a paper plate that we sprinkle some salt on and just dab what we need...mmmmm...dang good.....as for worring about cancer, i think worrying too much will cause cancer....seriouly though folks, I think some people are just more predisposed to get cancer while others are not.....lifes a gamble and you get what it throws at ya and then deal with it.

Edited by steveandrong (see edit history)

I recall a story in the ultra-liberal Oregonian several years ago about a well known epicure (not James Beard, but in the same vein) --who died in his late-80's after a very fast and virulent form of stomach cancer. The 'tut, tut' nanny thrust of the article, while reminding us of all his accomplishments also pointed out, from many antidotal accounts, that he simply didn't care about healthy eating if it offered him a new gastronomic experience. (well charred---on the outside---red meat was one of his favorites).

So I was surprised to see that several days later, a letter to the editor made it pass the censors----pointing out: Look, this guy lived well into his 80's, with wonderful accomplishments, was loved by family---professional adult children, and for at least half a century, had the wherewithal to totally enjoy many of the pleasures and freedoms American culture affords---including a great diversity of good food.

amen..

Ask her about ÑòÈâ´® (Yang Rou Chaun)... She never ate that?

Outdoor cooking of Sheep meat on a stick.

I agree with Dan about the 'carbonization' and Tony that 'it all causes cancer'.

There is a symbiotic relationship between the body, emotions, environment, food, earth, air, heaven, etc....

Where we go wrong is in the small discrimination; but that is where we find the answer ;)