Going to Dallas

Corey&Xu

My Wife and I will be making a short trip to Texas in a few weeks. We will visit some family in Brenham and then go to Dallas for a one day class and spend a few extra days.

We will meet up with a friend of my wife's who is here in the USA only a few months and her husband. They will come down for the day from Tulsa.

Anyone in or near Dallas that can give us some good idea's about what to do or where to have a good meal?

We will be in Addison which is just outside Dallas from the 16th-20th. We fly back home the morning of the 20th.

Thanks,

My wife an I were just down in Dallas first weekend of September.

We did the stock yards of Fort-Worth very fun, many western saloons there, and NO not a lot of cows, just a small heard that they march down Exchange St twice a day for show.

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

For "Texas" tourism Fort Worth is better. Dallas has the Kennedy museum downtown you may find interesting. Other fun would be 6 Flags over Texas (the original Six Flags) which is in Arlington. You may want to drive by the Death Star, aka Jerry-World, Cowboy Stadium. Tours are available I hear.

Food: Tex-Mex. Addison is loaded with large choices of eateries. It's also right off-of the North Dallas Tollway (don't bring coins your tags are scanned and a bill is sent to whoever owns the car).

We're in Frisco which is pretty much where the tollway ends.

ChunMei and my daughter and I were there 2 weeks ago to visit my brother. We spent a day at the Texas State Fair (I think that's over) but one evening we had dinner at Medieval Times. That's sort of a hoot. ChunMei loved it. They have a 2 hour indoor show that includes jousting, sword fights, and some amazing horsemanship, all in an arena in the middle of the restaurant. and the food was passible.

A trip to Ft Worth is worthwhile, but the part that the ladies enjoyed was the shopping, even if they didn't buy much. It's just a hoot to go to Neiman-Marcus and read the pricetags.

ChunMei and my daughter and I were there 2 weeks ago to visit my brother. We spent a day at the Texas State Fair (I think that's over) but one evening we had dinner at Medieval Times. That's sort of a hoot. ChunMei loved it. They have a 2 hour indoor show that includes jousting, sword fights, and some amazing horsemanship, all in an arena in the middle of the restaurant. and the food was passible.

A trip to Ft Worth is worthwhile, but the part that the ladies enjoyed was the shopping, even if they didn't buy much. It's just a hoot to go to Neiman-Marcus and read the pricetags.

Yes, the State Fair is over now. I forgot about Medieval Times and the BEP. Fort Worth has some excellent museums (more so than Dallas). The stockyards and the cowboy hall of fame are examples of some of the activities over that way. Dallas does have The Crow Collection of Asian art that may be of interest.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

Yes, the State Fair is over now. I forgot about Medieval Times and the BEP. Fort Worth has some excellent museums (more so than Dallas). The stockyards and the cowboy hall of fame are examples of some of the activities over that way. Dallas does have The Crow Collection of Asian art that may be of interest.

I have talked with my wife and she is game to go anywhere..........but she seems most interested in the Coach store/outlet :lol:

The Medieval Times may be fun. I need to get the approval of both my wife and her friend as to what we do as i want it to be fun for them and that they get to enjoy the day. It looks like we will rent a car while we are in Dallas so we will have the freedom to see what we want also.

We are really looking forward to the trip as we get to see family and friends.

Thanks again for all of the great ideas.

Edited by Corey&Xu (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

North of DFW airport is a total disaster. The highway construction is really bad putting you off on one lane citiy streets at times. When you rent a car leave to the South entrace is my recomend. I think everything else is covered unless your looking for Chinese food then I would go to Plano.

Tex-Mex is what is best around. Lot to choose from. If you go to Joe-Ts which I don't care for but eeryone else does, bring cash. It is the only way to pay.

If you go to the stock yards, I used to take people to Cattlemens for a steak. Now we do a new place on the corner 3D something it is connected with the old hotel that has saddles for bar stools. Get the fried catfish as an appetiser. It is cut very thin and very good. Of course fried so maybe not to your liking. They have grilled corn and the cob too. The white elephant should have live music across the street. It sounds like you need a bit more modern than cowtown though...

Fort Worth has great museums if that's of interest to you: Amon Carter for American art (especially Wild West art), and the Kimbell is one of the fine art gems of the country, IMO.

Also, if you want her to experience a C&W club (large honky-tonk style) go to Billy Bob's.

https://www.kimbellart.org/index.aspx

http://www.cartermuseum.org/

http://www.billybobsdfw.com/lp/billy_bobs_texas

Thanks all for the replies. We just got back home and we had a great time in Dallas. We really liked the area. The shopping won out for the one day but we did rent a car for a day and went downtown to the JFK Museum and we also made it out to the Cowboy's Stadium. All of the driving allowed us to see more of the area and how big the city is. We also visited for the day with a friend of my wife's who is here in the US now. It was really good for both of them to be able to see each other and spend some time talking.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions......we should have planned a few more days to see everything.