Visa's Going the Other Way

dan1984

We all talk about how to manage, understand, and have success in bringing our significant others from China to the United States.

For people like me who have been and are currently living in China, the visa process here can many times be frustrating too.

It's obviously not as complicated or stringent as the process of coming to the US......by a mile, but it is a pain, and makes life all the more stressful when the time comes to get a new visa.

I'm in China on a business visa, and was gathering my materials together to renew it, as it expires November 5th.

With the ever changing - sometimes strict, sometimes lax - policy for foreign nationals applying for visas in in China, it's a crap shoot to know what you'll find.

I thought I had lined up all my ducks to apply for my new business visa now, and leave the country before February 12 (my last time out of China after last years Chinese New Year - have to leave once a year while on a business visa) on a trip a quick trip to Hong Kong/Taipei/Thailand/etc at the beginning or end of the Chinese en route to/or from JianWen's family's home in XiChang, Sichuan (about a 6 hour drive south of Chengdu - where China's "NASA Program" is located). It was going to be our first "adventurous trip" together!

Long story short, turns out I'm going to need to leave Beijing (and Mainland China) this weekend and come Monday apply for the new visa.

Just got done paying 1700rmb for round trip tickets to and from Seoul, and still have about 2800rmb in visa fees upon arriving back in Beijing. Yes, not breaking the bank, but still a decent amount of money for an unplanned expense for somebody starting out in life. Not fun at all. But, such is life.

I got really lucky in finding the round trip tickets between Beijing and Seoul for 1700rmb though. Taking the train to/from Shenzhen and then into Hong Kong would have cost about 1100rmb and took about 60 hours! Just taking the train to Shenzhen and then flying back to Beijing would have cost alittle over 2100rmb!

Definitely not as frustrating as trying to bring our significant others to the US, but I'm sure there are some of you out there that feel my pain on a night like this.........

Anyways, pretty much just ranting here, hehehe......

Most of us are married and won't have that problem.

Even so, I've known people to stay longer than a year with no border hops while on work/residence permits from the local PSB. Are you in touch with those folks? It may not help, though, unless your company can certify you as a "foreign expert". But they're the ones to tell you.

Unfortunately, my company doesn't supply me with a work permit. Once we get married, that will definitely make things a lot more simple like you said in getting a residence permit, etc.

Having those advantages take out the necessity for border hops, or, well, frequent ones at least.

I think this is the best I can do at this point. Unless I can convince someone that I am a foreign expert haha :rolleyes:

Most of us are married and won't have that problem.

Even so, I've known people to stay longer than a year with no border hops while on work/residence permits from the local PSB. Are you in touch with those folks? It may not help, though, unless your company can certify you as a "foreign expert". But they're the ones to tell you.

I lived and worked in China for five plus years and know what you mean about the visa issues. In our case, things were much easier in that I worked for a fairly large university and the "Foreign Affairs Office" always took care of my visa and work permit. As I recall, I was there on a Z visa.

This brings an interesting question to mind... being married to a Chinese national, how hard would it be to get a residence permit? Would I want one even if we're not planning on my moving there in the short term? Can I get one in that case?

You go to your wife's PSB Entry and Exit Bureau - the only real advantage would come if you want to stay longer than 90 days without having to cross the border or if you want to file an I-130 (DCF) with your consulate.

Dan - even after you're married, though, you may have to continue the same kind of maintenance (border hops/whatever) to maintain your work visa, or whatever allows you to work in China.

I was under the impression that after marriage you're able to get a residence permit and also apply for a familial travel visa that are good for 2 years. One of my friends recently got one, and I believe he said he just needs to border hope just once every 18 months. Not so?

I'm also not really clear on this, but was under the impression that it gets slightly easier....

This brings an interesting question to mind... being married to a Chinese national, how hard would it be to get a residence permit? Would I want one even if we're not planning on my moving there in the short term? Can I get one in that case?

You go to your wife's PSB Entry and Exit Bureau - the only real advantage would come if you want to stay longer than 90 days without having to cross the border or if you want to file an I-130 (DCF) with your consulate.

Dan - even after you're married, though, you may have to continue the same kind of maintenance (border hops/whatever) to maintain your work visa, or whatever allows you to work in China.

I was under the impression that after marriage you're able to get a residence permit and also apply for a familial travel visa that are good for 2 years. One of my friends recently got one, and I believe he said he just needs to border hope just once every 18 months. Not so?

I'm also not really clear on this, but was under the impression that it gets slightly easier....

Yes it DOES get easier - you don't have to border hop at all - UNLESS you want to work. THEN you have to do what they tell you to do to maintain the work permit/visa/whatever you've got.

Come Dec 5, I'll have been in China for 2 years without having to border hop even once.

You might check with the PSB folks to see if they can help you with a work permit - THEY are the folks to talk to, not us.

The PSB is where you go for these details, not us.

Ahhh, got you.

I've made many a trip to the PSP, and currently am just able to get my ÁÙʱסËÞµÇ¼Ç (Registration Form of Temporary Residence). After we get married I will be able to apply for a regular Residence Permit. As it is, I just need to border hop once a year, and apply for a new visa every six months.

I got the 2 year family visa, but they only gave me 90 day stays. What has me wondering about the residency thing is as a backup option to any problems with the current CR1 application. Always good to have options, no? :)

As Randy indicated earlier, you can get that 90 days extended at the local PSB.

not to distract from the original topic....i arrived CN in July on a L visa, 1 year, multiple entry, 90 day term. applied local PSB for residence permit and was issued another L visa, 1 year, multiple entry, NO TERM. wife and I married 4 years.

Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal. I'll have to remember for down the line........

not to distract from the original topic....i arrived CN in July on a L visa, 1 year, multiple entry, 90 day term. applied local PSB for residence permit and was issued another L visa, 1 year, multiple entry, NO TERM. wife and I married 4 years.

Indeed.. good to know. :D

I really don't think we'll need to exercise such a backup plan at this time, but always nice to know what options there are. :)