Baggage Requirements

I can't seem to get an answer from the airlines. The flight leaves Atlanta, stops in LA, then goes to GZ. China Southern is the airline but the first leg is operated by Delta. I called Delta but they could not answer my question. The number for China Southern is always busy.

The question is.......how many bags can be checked and what weight can be checked for free.

Here is what Delta.com has:

Do bag fees apply to all passengers traveling internationally?

Some bag fees apply to passengers traveling to Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Island, Europe and Mexico. The latest updates and exceptions to these fees can be found on the baggage allowance page.

What bag fees apply to international passengers who have connections/stopovers within the U.S.?

If all flights are on the same itinerary, international fees and rules apply to passengers traveling internationally with a connection or stopover the U.S.

If an international passenger travels to the U.S. and continues their travel within the U.S. on a separate ticket, domestic rules apply.

http://www.delta.com.../index.jsp#intl

http://www.delta.com...ecked/index.jsp

http://www.csair.com.../20100409_0.asp

50 lb is a max for baggage, any heavier and you get slapped with a charge.

Delta is shows depending on when ticket purchased and when flying, first bag may cost $25 or be free, China Southern also indicated first bag is free.

Here is what Delta.com has:

Do bag fees apply to all passengers traveling internationally?

Some bag fees apply to passengers traveling to Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Island, Europe and Mexico. The latest updates and exceptions to these fees can be found on the baggage allowance page.

What bag fees apply to international passengers who have connections/stopovers within the U.S.?

If all flights are on the same itinerary, international fees and rules apply to passengers traveling internationally with a connection or stopover the U.S.

If an international passenger travels to the U.S. and continues their travel within the U.S. on a separate ticket, domestic rules apply.

http://www.delta.com.../index.jsp#intl

http://www.delta.com...ecked/index.jsp

http://www.csair.com.../20100409_0.asp

50 lb is a max for baggage, any heavier and you get slapped with a charge.

Delta is shows depending on when ticket purchased and when flying, first bag may cost $25 or be free, China Southern also indicated first bag is free.

The China Southern link you gave me is for Europe. It does not apply.

Finally just spoke with China Southern and they say 2 pieces with a limit of 50 pounds each.

http://www.iflybusiness.com/international-baggage-policies_China-Southern-Airlines.php

I found this to be in line with what CS told me with the exception of the weight. Why does this have to be so confusing? Guess I will find out tomorrow when I take the wife to the airport. So far she has one bag at 47 pounds. I am hesitant to tell her 2 bags because of what Delta might try to pull at the airport. The Delta agents I spoke with yesterday didn't have a clue. Go figure.

I had a similar problem trying to figure out limits for my wife flying here from China. Air China then American; their policies are almost exact opposites of each other. I finally got the American folks on the phone; they said on international flights they (American) go by whatever the international carrier's policies are.

I don't know if all US airlines follow this, and I don't know if they follow it for flights originating in the US.

Edited by TLB (see edit history)

I had a similar problem trying to figure out limits for my wife flying here from China. Air China then American; their policies are almost exact opposites of each other. I finally got the American folks on the phone; they said on international flights they (American) go by whatever the international carrier's policies are.

I don't know if all US airlines follow this, and I don't know if they follow it for flights originating in the US.

At least they gave you an answer. I figure this is right. I will find out in a few hours.

Just what I thought.....go to Delta and they say use the kiosk for international flights. Well the kiosk only pulls up the first leg to LA then they want a $25.00 bag fee. I tell them that the bag needs to be checked to GZ and they said "you must have made 2 reservations." I said "no I didn't" so he directed me to an agent behind a desk. The agent behind the desk didn't even know the code for China Southern so I had to tell her it was CZ. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the bag was checked to GZ and no fee. I tells ya that if'n you don't do your homewerk before you go to the airport then you're liable to get ripped off. :o

Just what I thought.....go to Delta and they say use the kiosk for international flights. Well the kiosk only pulls up the first leg to LA then they want a $25.00 bag fee. I tell them that the bag needs to be checked to GZ and they said "you must have made 2 reservations." I said "no I didn't" so he directed me to an agent behind a desk. The agent behind the desk didn't even know the code for China Southern so I had to tell her it was CZ. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the bag was checked to GZ and no fee. I tells ya that if'n you don't do your homewerk before you go to the airport then you're liable to get ripped off. :o

Jiaying went through the same thing with Continental - they said her Chinatown agent had made two separate reservations in order to save $50 on the fare. They wanted her to pay over $300 to have her bags shipped to Beijing when she was actually going to Guangzhou. Luckily, I raised enough of a stink to get a supervisor over to check her bags all the way through on her actual flights.

Jiaying went through the same thing with Continental - they said her Chinatown agent had made two separate reservations in order to save $50 on the fare. They wanted her to pay over $300 to have her bags shipped to Beijing when she was actually going to Guangzhou. Luckily, I raised enough of a stink to get a supervisor over to check her bags all the way through on her actual flights.

:blink: