Interview date scheduled -- opinions on Guangzhou trip appreciated

I posted this on one of the other sites also, so I apologize if you're reading this for the second time. My fiancee just got her Packet 4 letter (dated 10/13), and her interview is scheduled for 11/3. Instead of asking for a reschedule and possibly delaying the interview, we're going to keep it, even if it means I can't fly out there for support.

She's thinking of heading out to Guangzhou from Shanghai on 11/1, arriving by 11/2 10am. Then she'll leave either the Friday after the actual interview or that Saturday. She has limited days off from work. Not to mention that if I were to fly out there moral support, I'd also have to leave by the next Sunday. Horrible timing all around.

She lives in Shanghai, so she'll be doing the medical in Shanghai, and it sounds like GUZ can mail the passport/visa to Shanghai addresses, provided she passes. Failing this, she has an aunt that lives in Guangzhou. Hopefully the consulate will let a relative pick it up?

Anyone have insight into whether we're overlooking something? Since her medical will be done in Shanghai, we don't need to go early for that. We'll probably have to miss getting the EOR letter notarized, unless I go, and we can schedule it for 11/2. I remember reading that American Citizens Hour is not being done anymore, so no reason to plan for that. And if they can mail the passport to her in Shanghai, there's no reason that we'd have to stick around.

Thanks for any feedback. I was really expecting to have a month or two notice. Not 2.5 weeks.

Arriving a day or so prior to interview should be fine, they take documents on 11/3 and should interview the next day 11/4.

Yes they will mail the visa packet to Shanghai, and if blue slipped, should be able to mail requested items to the consulate from Shanghai.

Yes they also can and will mail to a third party in Guangzhou, the third party will not be visiting the consulate to pick it up, the consulate always mails these things, either to a private address or to a post office located near the consulate.

You could have had the EOR notarized in the USA for no charge at most banks, doing it overseas at the consulate will cost $50.

Also it is highly recommended to get vaccinations done over there as part of the medical and get a DS-3025 vaccination record completed and a copy sealed to be brought to the USA, this WILL eliminate having to deal with a US Civil Surgeon when adjusting status, many of these state side doctors will RIP-YOU-OFF... SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41344-us-civil-surgeons-and-the-i-693/

Getting done overseas: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41344-us-civil-surgeons-and-the-i-693/page__st__30__p__577012#entry577012

Welcome to CFL Peterh, and good luck. Too bad you didn't find us earlier, we'd have burst your 2-3 month invite letter to interview timeframe really quickly. :)

Yes, get the EOR notarized in the US. Maybe they'd accept a scanned copy with the notarization on it and she can turn in one without the notary (?).

BTW, if you do decide to delay, I did that and it was not a problem (meaning it didn't mean I had to wait months to get another interview -- as soon as I told them she was free to come, we got the interview letter within a few days for an interview two weeks later).

Having said all that (hoping GUZ is lurking), it would be nice to have a month lead time before the interview instead of a couple of weeks.

Edited by TLB (see edit history)

Yes, get the EOR notarized in the US. Maybe they'd accept a scanned copy with the notarization on it and she can turn in one without the notary (?).

Keep in mind, there is a chance that they won't even accept the EOR at the interview. I would say it is highly unlikely they will accept. I am not saying you shouldn't do everything possible to ensure success but it may not be as important as you think.

Just a quick question about the EOR - Evolution of Relationship?

Is that a letter that you write yourself just describing how you met, when you met, "how the relationship has evolved," where you're at now and why you want to take this next step, etc??

Also, it HAS to be notarized?

Thanks. It seems as if this is one of the things that has changed in the past 5 years.

Dan

Arriving a day or so prior to interview should be fine, they take documents on 11/3 and should interview the next day 11/4.

Yes they will mail the visa packet to Shanghai, and if blue slipped, should be able to mail requested items to the consulate from Shanghai.

Yes they also can and will mail to a third party in Guangzhou, the third party will not be visiting the consulate to pick it up, the consulate always mails these things, either to a private address or to a post office located near the consulate.

You could have had the EOR notarized in the USA for no charge at most banks, doing it overseas at the consulate will cost $50.

Also it is highly recommended to get vaccinations done over there as part of the medical and get a DS-3025 vaccination record completed and a copy sealed to be brought to the USA, this WILL eliminate having to deal with a US Civil Surgeon when adjusting status, many of these state side doctors will RIP-YOU-OFF... SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41344-us-civil-surgeons-and-the-i-693/

Getting done overseas: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41344-us-civil-surgeons-and-the-i-693/page__st__30__p__577012#entry577012

I don't think the EOR has to be notarized, but from what I've read, having it notarized at ACS is a good trick to get the VO to read it prior to your fiance/-ee's interview. At least that's my understanding of it. It does cost $50 though, but for me, the peace of mind is well worth it, even if they don't look at it during the interview. I plan to do it. You can make an appointment at https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=GUZ&appcode=1

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Time to do more research on vaccinations and DS-3025.

Quick interview dates: I am not sure what to make of the short notice issue; It may be that K1s who don't do the electronic process can get caught in this predicament since they get mailed the P4; those CR1s who did the electronic process get it in email. I wonder if the faster scheduling of CR1s is causing this to some K1s. But a note to K1s, you can call DOS to check on the interview date and usually know it prior to getting the snail mail anyways.

---

The EOR does not have to be notarized; GUZ has told members this who went to have it done. So the ploy IN THE PAST was that if you went and had it done (or at least talked about it or your case), someone at ACH logged the fact of your presence in the computer; but now there is no ACH but only ACS to do stuff concerning your passport or a notary, etc.

By going and having it notarized at ACS does not imply any VO sees it or reads it; they cannot see or read it unless it is submitted to them in some way, either at document turn-in or at the interview proper. And as Beachey points out, there is a good chance they don't want it even if you offer it to them (at the interview).

What one can do is to pull it out and when the VO sees the circular staple used only by the consulate notary, they will know she has a notarized letter done by them in her hand. I used to advise the same thing about bring the USCs passport... pull it out and the VO will see the US passport without the lady having to say anything. ;)

---

This all being said, and I am generally not one to push the idea of the EOR getting notarized, one should do what they think is best for their case; not just do what everyone else is doing. I am here in GUZ now and based on some feedback, it was highly recommended to me to get the EOR notarized at ACS. I am still not really sure I agree with it but I did it; nobody can later point a finger at my having not followed their advice B)

But knowing the issue that they may not even accept it, I have a copy of the basic letter signed and Lulu is bringing that to document turn-in. If they take it, then the VO gets to see it. She will bring the notarized version, regardless of the document turn-in outcome, to the interview and offer it.

As a side note: I did submit a EOR with my petition and was going to simply do an update based on since the time of filing. It was highly recommended that instead I write it up as a complete EOR and not depend on the idea that they really read or remember the first letter. In the end, I agreed with this idea since I have 8 trips in all to see Lulu and it makes sense to show it all together.

---

Visa Pickup issue: Have her bring an EMS slip to Document turn-in. You can buy them for 1 yuan at the 7-11 less than a block from the consulate entry (if your back is to the entry and your facing the street, around the corner to the right). The prevailing wisdom here is to have it mailed to your home instead of someone picking it up. Have her also put her phone number on the slip. I was told that we only needed one EMS for the CR1 and CR2 cases we have, but I paid the 1 yuan and told Lulu to buy another one this morning to cover all bases.

Appointments: I did not make an appointment since I did not originally plan to have it notarized. Usually you need to try and schedule it 3 days in advance to really get a slot. I had to just go as a 'walk-in'. I went at their 1pm afternoon session and the line on the fourth floor was packed with people. The only consolation was that once I got to the guy who checks what your are doing he told me to bypass the pack and go up to the fifth floor. I followed the signs to ACS and got a number. Those without an appointment MUST get a number. What you'll find is that in typical chinese pragmatism, many who have appointments are also grabbing a number so that if the number gets called before their own name gets called, they still go up to the window. I figured this out because many numbers were getting skipped (as if someone pulled a number and didn't stay around). I saw a lady with a number and an appointment paper and put it all together.

When I went up to the window I was asked if I had an appointment (another proof that both kinds are pulling numbers) and I said no. She said I would have to wait until all appointments were done before they could take me... I just looked at her with my best puppy dog eyes and she just stared waiting for a response and then she says, "ok... I'll take you now"... I later told my wife about this and we got a big laugh since she often says my 'eyes can control her' :D

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

Forget my EMS idea above and not sure why we were told to bring slips. They will give you one for each case to bring back at interview day. You need to put the beneficiary's name on it but can send to any address.

PROVIDED COD delivery is available to that address, no??

Forget my EMS idea above and not sure why we were told to bring slips. They will give you one for each case to bring back at interview day. You need to put the beneficiary's name on it but can send to any address.

PROVIDED COD delivery is available to that address, no??

That is true and good to point out. Just meant to convey that one can send it to anyone's house if they are not going to be able to time one's trip back home or pickup in GZ. We inquired since we won't be able to be to do either scenario, so sending to a friend's (or family) home is permissible.

Thought I'd share my experience with regards to EOR and USC visiting the consulate:

2. My original EOR letter was NOT notarized. It was mailed to USCIS with my I-129F package. I wrote a second/updated EOR (NOT notarized) and my fiancee took it to document in-take and was accepted by the Guangzhou consulate staff. Later, I was at the POE with my fiancee, and was pleasantly surprised to see my personally written EOR at the top of the pile of papers in her sealed envelope. The CBP officer took a few seconds to read it. I couldn't tell which version of my EOR was in the final sealed envelope. I'm NOT emphasizing the importance of EOR's and notarization; just sharing my personal experience.

3. It was my experience that US passport holders can visit the consulate's American Citizen Services between 8:30am and 11:30am, then 1:30pm to 3:30pm, Monday thru Friday. The Chinese guards did not ask me for a reason. I simply showed my US passport and they let me in within those published hours. I understand appointments are needed for certain services, but I had no trouble going to ACS to see an immigration officer and asked a question. Simply go up to the 5th floor, go through a relatively relaxed security checkpoint, then proceed to take a number and wait to be called.

Note: The immigration officer (male) I spoke to at the ACS was a different officer (female) who later interviewed my fiancee. I went to ask (him) if my fiancee could turn in her P4/I-134 documents and then interview the next day without her medical report. He said he doesn't see why not, just that her visa will be delayed until she turns in her medical report. He was also kind enough to confirm his answer with another officer or perhaps a supervisor.

Also does your wife know where she will be staying when in Guangzhou?

I would highly recommend the Yang's, they are good people and have rooms in the same building and they can walk your wife through the process and make her feel little more comfortable about the interview. They recommended I fax an EOR to my wife the night before her interview, which I believe is why my wife received PINK.

Hi - my fiancee and I have been busy preparing the documents and material listed in the P4 packet, and "proof of relationship" is definitely on our list... but this is the first I've heard of an "EOR". What is it exactly? Is it different from the photos and letters and phone logs and QQ chats we're packaging up? Is it something they'll expect her to bring to the interview? I don' t see any mention of it in the P4 packet. Thanks...

Hi - my fiancee and I have been busy preparing the documents and material listed in the P4 packet, and "proof of relationship" is definitely on our list... but this is the first I've heard of an "EOR". What is it exactly? Is it different from the photos and letters and phone logs and QQ chats we're packaging up? Is it something they'll expect her to bring to the interview? I don' t see any mention of it in the P4 packet. Thanks...

Over the past few years we on this board have seen several interviews result in a blue slip for things like a Resume from the benificiary, and alos an Evolution Of Relationship.

EOR is a letter explaining prior relationships of beneficiary and or petitioner, and how met. EOR usually has details about ex spouses where they are and contact info.

Many posts about this:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43951-eor-for-cr-1/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41403-eor-letter/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39773-eor-letter/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37995-here-is-my-eor/