Getting shots at the hospital while nursing a newborn

Hey guys,

Some friends of mine just had their first baby together, and at the most inopportune time. Their visa interview in Guangzhou is next Thursday. They just had their baby 2 days ago. The mother still has to go in to get her shots from the hospital, but the doctor here in Shenzhen informed her that she can't have any drugs administered to her while nursing their newborn baby. What is the policy on this? Can they skip getting the shots with written permission? Should they reschedule their interview? If they reschedule, how much longer will they have to wait?

Thanks for the help :)

In some cases can get tested for immunity to the diseases that the vaccinations are for, the tests are called titer tests, my wife had these tests done for the followup vaccinations for her immigrations.

The vaccinations requirements for age 18 -- 65:

• Varicella (Chicken Pox)
  • MMR
  • Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids

CDC, pregnancy recommendations: http://www.cdc.gov/v.../preg-guide.htm (Most of the required can be Contraindicated)

Keep in mind if spouse wishes to do some things in the USA like attend a college, WILL need to get the vaccinations taken care of, and also after stopped breast feeding should get these vaccinations for health reasons.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Email Guangzhou for advice of waiving shots. Rescheduling interview is not helpful for them because they may want to breast feed the baby for months (usually recommend at least 6 months by doctors). I am not sure if the required shots would have negative influence on the baby or not. I had flu shots when I nursed my son. I think probably only Guangzhou has final say. Good luck.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)