Wife needs to go to China...131?

My wife's daughter had emergency surgery today and Rosie wants to go over to take care of her. Green card seems to be taking forever. Now at 77 days after the bio when the average for a decision is about 73 days. Most it seems only taking about a month. Anyway what are the pitfalls of the 131? As I understand it she would need to get the Advanced Parole. It seems to suggest that she could leave before the 131 is granted. But what if it isn't granted. I imagine then that we'd be in a big mess. Anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Did you apply for Advanced Parole? Your wife entered on a K-1 visa?

I think Emergency AP may be granted but get it first before leaving country. If you leave without it, you have to start over with a CR-1.

I would be calling the nearest USCIS office.

My wife's daughter had emergency surgery today and Rosie wants to go over to take care of her. Green card seems to be taking forever. Now at 77 days after the bio when the average for a decision is about 73 days. Most it seems only taking about a month. Anyway what are the pitfalls of the 131? As I understand it she would need to get the Advanced Parole. It seems to suggest that she could leave before the 131 is granted. But what if it isn't granted. I imagine then that we'd be in a big mess. Anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

She cannot leave before the I-131 (Advanced Parole) is granted. However, you can schedule an InfoPass appointment and most likely get an emergency AP.

The I-131 would normally be approved within 30 to 60 days after application and is free when filing for AOS.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Make infopass appointment at local office and head there, most offices you can get in today or tomorrow easily. Tell them your situation and see what they can do. Calling telephone operators in my experience almost worthless, but talking to people at the local office can definitly help.

Having had to use the local office in Hartford CT, I have high regard for them, been there three times and each time they were very helpful.

Infopass is definitely the way to go from what I have always read.

We applied later than 6 months, so I did not bother with AP, but you do not show your timeline and since we are in the pipeline together, here are my dates for you to compare.

Filed 6/09. NOA date 6/13. RFE 6/27. Called and replied 7/10.Original biometrics 7/08 moved to 7/22. Transfered to CSC 7/27. Not sure about touches in this phase although I could see in Visa process. Read recommendations, but we went from transfered to CSC and then sat in Initial Review. Looked for comments or anything, but nothing that I could see until today. For EAD, they had to make a decision. Then a few days later I saw card in production. For AOS, straight to card in production.

Hope you see something soon, since I have been tracking your case as well.

Good luck,

Henry