Letters to help in travel

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have some help here. My mother-in-law will be coming for a visit to the USA for the first time this weekend. She doesn't speak any English. I had an idea that I could provide her with a letter to carry with her that she could show people at the airport explaining where she is from, where she is going, her language issues, etc. That way she can maybe get some help when she feels lost. We are picking her up at the POE so there is no flight changes but I know how crazy it can be to come to a new country for the first time and it must be worse for her because she can't speak English and she has never even flown before.

My wife also had an idea that maybe we should give her a letter to hand to the customs officer? Does anyone think this is a good idea? I am not really sure what I would write in there.

If you have any examples of either of these types of letters that I could use as a guideline I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike and Liying

You can rest assured that there will be a lot of help for her from other Chinese. You are picking her up at the POE. Piece of cake. No worries and no letter needed.

+1

A letter with specific questions on it in both English and Chinese might help, but as others have said, probably won't be necessary. I'm talking about things like "Where is the restroom?", "Where is the baggage claim for Flight # nnn?" or anything that she may need to know where someone can just point to answer.