Not so good result

Hey Ning, Very sorry to hear of your 'cryptic' delay. Fairly typical blue, unfortunately. But no one seems to have addressed this specific concern: (except that some have suggested a sponsor).

If you have only been a student, (to the extent that you could not satisfy the 3 year tax return request), and while your current employment is comfortable, when we applied (many years ago) there were two financial considerations: one was net worth, and the second was income. You could overcome a documented small income with a larger net worth, but the reverse was not acceptable.

So the question is this: Did you show sufficient net worth on your application, or only list your current income? If memory serves, the income for one year that you shared with us would not be enough to qualify under the net worth requirement.

Nope, on the blue sheet, it only says "Provide 2008 2009 income statement or personal circumstance letter" I've included personal circumstance letter explaining why I did not have those 2 years filed, as well as current tax return and letter of employment.

Also, where does it say income for one year is not enough to qualify under net worth requirement?

They may say that on a blue slip - they may say that on a white slip. They may not say it at all. They may simply decide that your relationship is not "bona fide".

It's your choice as to whether to prepare for the possibilities, or to let things slide as they are.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, on the blue sheet, it only says "Provide 2008 2009 income statement or personal circumstance letter" I've included personal circumstance letter explaining why I did not have those 2 years filed, as well as current tax return and letter of employment.

Also, where does it say income for one year is not enough to qualify under net worth requirement?

I guess I missed in earlier posts what your blue slip said......"Provide 2008 2009 income statement or personal circumstance letter"

Okay, you have given them the personal circumstance letter. Good.

I can't say where it is written in ink that you must provide 3 years of tax returns to the Guangzhou Consulate....but....that is THEIR rule and more than one person has gotten a 3 or 4 blue month blue slip delay for not submitting those other two years.

It looks like you gave them what they asked for. Now, it's the wait....nothing you can do about that.

Most folks who were lucky enough to find Candle before they sent in their applications or went to the interview just filed 3 years tax returns, even with zeros on the income lines, along with a short letter explaining they were in college, etc, and fulfilled Guangzhou's unique rule of looking at 3 years income instead of one. Their co-sponsor had to have 3 years of returns or transcripts also.

Waiting sucks, but your day will come.

tsap seui

Hey Ning, Very sorry to hear of your 'cryptic' delay. Fairly typical blue, unfortunately. But no one seems to have addressed this specific concern: (except that some have suggested a sponsor).

If you have only been a student, (to the extent that you could not satisfy the 3 year tax return request), and while your current employment is comfortable, when we applied (many years ago) there were two financial considerations: one was net worth, and the second was income. You could overcome a documented small income with a larger net worth, but the reverse was not acceptable.

So the question is this: Did you show sufficient net worth on your application, or only list your current income? If memory serves, the income for one year that you shared with us would not be enough to qualify under the net worth requirement.

They may say that on a blue slip - they may say that on a white slip. They may not say it at all. They may simply decide that your relationship is not "bona fide".

It's your choice as to whether to prepare for the possibilities, or to let things slide as they are.

I've provided what they asked for on the blue slip, in terms of letting things slide, I'm not sure what do you mean by that. If you are referring to why I have not filed the personal statement originally, that's because the attorney that I hired said AOS only require 1 year, looking back now, it seems like he is unaware the local practices for Guangzhou. As for relationship being not "bona fide" this is a CR1 visa, and the CO have heavy burden to met before they can assign that. Of course, not saying it hasn't happened before to others, but I highly doubt this is the case.

It is like we have said before, you simply need to wait patiently, but should be fine. You failed to turn in the documents and/or explain why you did not submit documents. And for some reason or maybe you did not send enough transportation information, which should be tied in with the communication, entertainment, travel and expense reports.

How you do it is up to you? Rationally, you would think, the better the presentation, the better the result. But of course, not always. Just do your best and then don't look back!

Simply, you should be fine unless there is something in the background checks. Otherwise, it is a case of not submitting documents. And you have to wait....like they tell you...patiently

Every case is different, so data points don't really tell a whole lot. Your projected wait is at least a couple of months. Hopefully, less....good luck

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

And like Randy was trying to explain to you, the income yardstick is only part of the equation for financial support. You would have to be following this site for awhile to know that just because you make X amount of dollars for income, you are not necessarily in the clear. If everything was so cut and dry in the visa process, this would all be done on computers.

I like possibly Randy feel you let some things slide in your packet. And having third party help maybe contributed. Just an impression, but no one is perfect and not is this process.

Being prepared to submit current paystubs, letter of employment, having a sponsor's packet available are all things you can be doing/thinking/preparing for. Probably you are done with submissions, but preparing for possible outcomes is about the only thing you can do now until you receive a response from GUZ.

And just because you're married does not mean "bonafide". Plenty of stories to go around of fraud Chinese marriages to Americans.

If my memory serves me correct they asked for more transportation/travel information, which again makes me question how you prepared and presented your petition.

You may not agree with GUZ, but keep your focus off GUZ and more on getting your wife here.

Good luck!

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

And a little more insight for you, Ning before I retire. The very first time I went to ACH, I was next to an ABC (and meeting his beautiful Chinese wife downstairs) that told he made over $120K/yr. His wife was given a BLUE due to financials. On his tax return he had an additional $10K that in the eyes of GUZ was not accounted for. He told me it was a return on one of his investments. I remember writing about this when I first joined, but I remember he had been waiting a long time for a response -- several months, which I felt was harsh.

And he explained it well to me and had documentation, so I hope he was successful, but I never read his case here. So that leads me to another case...

As I spent more and more time learning as much as I could about this process, I discovered fraud cases that did receive visas and I mentioned this also when I joined. But here are the nuts and bolts of one case. He (American) was appproached from a rich Chinese family here and was paid around $8k to marry their daughter and get her a visa. He did not love her. But did it for the money and got her the visa.

You may know your own stories. Their job is a difficult one and unrealistic to expect perfection.

I retire with Good Luck!

Henry

"I can't say where it is written in ink that you must provide 3 years of tax returns to the Guangzhou Consulate....but....that is THEIR rule and more than one person has gotten a 3 or 4 blue month blue slip delay for not submitting those other two years."

from http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faq.html :

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport

Two visa photos

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Medical report

Affidavit of Support - I-864 and copies of the three most recent years' tax returns if not already submitted to NVC.

Relationship evidence including family photos, correspondence and household registration to prove the claimed relationship.

Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public.

Edited by TLB (see edit history)

Anyway some new information, I'm hoping good news for me. As some data point for the community.

Interview Date: Aug 4-5, 2011

Blue sheet: After interview

Second Blue sheet: Aug 29, 2011

AP completed: Sept 19, 2011.

This is the response I've got from GUZ after emailing them "The administrative processing is just finished. We will further process the case and your beneficiary should expect a notice from the Consulate in the next two to three weeks regarding how to complete the visa processing. Please wait in patience."

I assume that we're good, and they are sending instructions on how to mail her passport etc within 2-3 weeks.

Ning

Anyway some new information, I'm hoping good news for me. As some data point for the community.

Interview Date: Aug 4-5, 2011

Blue sheet: After interview

Second Blue sheet: Aug 29, 2011

AP completed: Sept 19, 2011.

This is the response I've got from GUZ after emailing them "The administrative processing is just finished. We will further process the case and your beneficiary should expect a notice from the Consulate in the next two to three weeks regarding how to complete the visa processing. Please wait in patience."

I assume that we're good, and they are sending instructions on how to mail her passport etc within 2-3 weeks.

Ning

Great news for you guys, Ning. :) Not much longer now.

tsap seui

So I emailed GUZ again, hoping that it's just a lag in the system.

Is lag another name for the GUZ mail room? biggrin.gif

Our approval notice was stamped 8/20/11 and was not mailed until 9/2/11. So as of a month ago there was a two week backlog in the mail room.

Called DOS today, they said base on their information on their computer, the case is still under AP.

So I emailed GUZ again, hoping that it's just a lag in the system.

Hopefully I hear good news from GUZ and what they told me wasn't a mistake.

Ning

The State Department computer in Washington, DC where you called to ask the question isn't updated by the State Department workers at teh consulate in Guangzhou on a timely basis, sometimes. You can't always go by what they say in Washington.

tsap seui

I've mailed GUZ again asking:

"As per the last email The administrative processing is just finished. We will further process the case and your beneficiary should expect a notice from the Consulate in the next two to three weeks regarding how to complete the visa processing. Please wait in patience.

Does that mean my wife should expect a Call-in letter within 2-3 weeks to complete the visa process?"

They replied:

"Yes, your beneficiary should expect a call-in notice from the Consulate in the next two to three weeks."

So yes, just a lag in updating the cases in DOS.

As for delay in sending out the mail. I don't mind, as I know the AP is completed. However, beginning of October is a big holiday in China, my wife told me they usually take a week off, so I assume EMS will not be working then.

Anyway just another update. I'll let u guys know when my wife receives the call in letter.

NIng