Not so good result

I need some advice on waiting period.

I know that my wife and I probably need to wait for another month or two. Our problem is, that she is from a small village, and she currently live with her mom, and since she didn't get her visa during her interview, both her neighbors and her parents are pressuring her, saying that she couldn't leave the country. I know for a fact its none of the neighbors business since they don't even know the process, however I don't know how to comfort her, when I talk to her, she said I'm only hurting her more, even when I'm saying words of encouragement.

I hope this process can be short for us, and no more hiccups.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been a couple days since I last posted, still waiting, can anyone else offer data point on AP in Guangzhou? seems like 3 months is the average....

We just got approval letter. It was 90 days past the interview. We did get a RFE for her resume which they received 19 days past the interview. So the approval was received 71 days after receipt of resume.

All of this makes me wonder if we should just include a resume in the papers we turn in just in case. Or at least have one at interview time.

Before this ever became popular, I saw that someone had included it in their kitchen sink, front loaded petition.

With all the things we submit to show bonafide, I submitted a resume for her and I.

Did they look at it? Who knows. My advice send all that you can that shows bonafide. Knowing each others employment/work history cannot hurt IMHO.

You can prepare all you want, and it's good to be over prepared, however you've probably read sometimes VO want you to show evidence of relationship, and you start digging through your pile of paper, finally when you find out, they refuse to look at it, and threaten you to leave or they'll call the security. That imo is pretty mess up, but they can do pretty much whatever they want. Anyway, it's definitely a good idea to have the resume for both the petitioner and beneficiary (detailed).

So another 2 more months... Did you contact GUZ via email weekly to check the status?

I think contacting GUZ weekly is overkill. They say on the Consulate web site that this slows down the process for everyone. No idea how true of a statement that is or if they are just trying to eliminate excessive email. They do ask you when you last contacted them. I think I contacted them on the 1 and 2 month dates. They asnwer you get is your beneficiary needs to wait patiently.

IMO, if you have aspecific question they can answer: "Did you receive the documents I sent?", "Do you need anymore information? You should be contacting them if you don't get an answer within their stated 72 hour window.

Once you are in the 70+ day window, you might want to contact them a little more often espescially if you have had difficulties receiving EMS previously just to make sure the package is not stuck somewhere.

I agree, the waiting stinks, you want to be able to do something.

As for the resume, GUZ asks for more than a standard resume. It is closer to a Curriculum Vita that an academic prepares including a work plan in the US and any foreign travel. So if you do any foreign travel between filing the initial petition and the interview the resume is out of date. There is also no indication that the SAO can be initiated by anyone other than the interviewing VO so frontloading it with the initial petition serves no purpose. I would just make sure you have it ready for the interview.

you are right about the excessive emailing, since they don't provide any additional information most of the time. However it seems like those that are handling the email have no access to your case, and probably gets their information via computer terminal, so in terms of slowing down the AP, probably not. I think they just want less emails.

"As for the resume, GUZ asks for more than a standard resume. It is closer to a Curriculum Vita that an academic prepares including a work plan in the US and any foreign travel. So if you do any foreign travel between filing the initial petition and the interview the resume is out of date. There is also no indication that the SAO can be initiated by anyone other than the interviewing VO so frontloading it with the initial petition serves no purpose. I would just make sure you have it ready for the interview."

I understand that. But how many fiancee/wives are doing foreign travel during this time?

And I am just giving advice. Every petitioner does his/her own thing. And has to live with it. Call it luck or whatever. Or call it lack of preparedness. I am not here to judge, just saying what worked for me. I cannot see how a detailed resume front loaded for the VO serves no purpose. And yes, if you are going to send a resume - put some effort into it. Otherwise, you might as well stick with the G-325 and hope they can figure out her past/your past and present from that document.

And Ning I have to agree with you in the sense that it has been reported here before that the beneficiary had the proper paperwork, but could not find it or not in an efficient manner. We as petitioners are never there, so how can we say and/or how can we help?

My Only thought on this is that I wished petitioners were allowed to be with the beneficiary. Right now that is not allowed at GUZ, so you have to prepare and do the best you/she can. That is why I like the folders organized in detail. And known like the back of your hand. If the VO knows it better than you/she does, then there is a problem IMHO.

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

I understand that. But how many fiancee/wives are doing foreign travel during this time?

And I am just giving advice. Every petitioner does his/her own thing. And has to live with it. Call it luck or whatever. Or call it lack of preparedness. I am not here to judge, just saying what worked for me. I cannot see how a detailed resume front loaded for the VO serves no purpose. And yes, if you are going to send a resume - put some effort into it. Otherwise, you might as well stick with the G-325 and hope they can figure out her past/your past and present from that document.

I was stating my opinion. The consensus seems to be that front-loading the petition is the best way to ensure the information is in front of the VO at the interview. Unless the resume somehow established the bonafides of the relationship (i.e. you met professionally first) I doubt a resume would be given much more than a glance for the I-130 approval and would have no bearing. When it comes to the interview, the resume would be six months to a year old so they likely would ask for an up-to-date one at that interview if they wanted one.

I agree have an up-to-date resume for the interview, I don't see the purpose for the Petition Approval in 99% of cases.

I was stating my opinion. The consensus seems to be that front-loading the petition is the best way to ensure the information is in front of the VO at the interview. Unless the resume somehow established the bonafides of the relationship (i.e. you met professionally first) I doubt a resume would be given much more than a glance for the I-130 approval and would have no bearing. When it comes to the interview, the resume would be six months to a year old so they likely would ask for an up-to-date one at that interview if they wanted one.

I agree have an up-to-date resume for the interview, I don't see the purpose for the Petition Approval in 99% of cases.

I simply/strongly disagree.

We are talking about painting a picture for the VO. The required documents fill in the basic blanks. When you develop a well thought out EOR, timeline, photo gallery, communication and travel together and yes, a well thought out resume that can show so much to a VO. Like we talk about put yourselves in the VO's shoes. A resume shows a lot more than professional background. Take the example of a second wife that depends on a husband married to another Chinese woman to support her. How is her resume going to look? Might need a lot of sugar coating to hide the possibility that she is looking for another free ride on an American ticket.

We are talking picture here. If they really need an SAO that is fine, but a VO can look at a decent resume to help make their decision. We update EORs, timelines, photos, communication and you name it before the interview for our 5 minutes of fame. I had a fine print, 2- page detailed EOR that I had the Vice Consul notarize and she read in 20 seconds and we then discussed it. She did not miss much. Make it concise and accurate. Among other things I was an Intelligence Officer in the Navy as one of my colateral duties. So I can say my training is geared to see indescrepancies, but simply someone that looks a critical documents everyday can readily pick up things that are not in order or as they may seem.

Hey Ning, Very sorry to hear of your 'cryptic' delay. Fairly typical blue, unfortunately. But no one seems to have addressed this specific concern: (except that some have suggested a sponsor).

If you have only been a student, (to the extent that you could not satisfy the 3 year tax return request), and while your current employment is comfortable, when we applied (many years ago) there were two financial considerations: one was net worth, and the second was income. You could overcome a documented small income with a larger net worth, but the reverse was not acceptable.

So the question is this: Did you show sufficient net worth on your application, or only list your current income? If memory serves, the income for one year that you shared with us would not be enough to qualify under the net worth requirement.

Hey Ning, Very sorry to hear of your 'cryptic' delay. Fairly typical blue, unfortunately. But no one seems to have addressed this specific concern: (except that some have suggested a sponsor).

If you have only been a student, (to the extent that you could not satisfy the 3 year tax return request), and while your current employment is comfortable, when we applied (many years ago) there were two financial considerations: one was net worth, and the second was income. You could overcome a documented small income with a larger net worth, but the reverse was not acceptable.

So the question is this: Did you show sufficient net worth on your application, or only list your current income? If memory serves, the income for one year that you shared with us would not be enough to qualify under the net worth requirement.

Nope, on the blue sheet, it only says "Provide 2008 2009 income statement or personal circumstance letter" I've included personal circumstance letter explaining why I did not have those 2 years filed, as well as current tax return and letter of employment.

Also, where does it say income for one year is not enough to qualify under net worth requirement?