Not so good result

Hello All,

My name is Ning, I'm new to this forum, however I've seen many recommendations from users of this forum and their past experience that I feel it's a good idea to share my concern with my wife's immigration visa.

We applied for CR-1 through USCIS, and it went to NVC then send to U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou. My wife had her interview on Aug 5th but was given a blue slip which requests for more document such as my 2008 and 2009 tax return or explaining why I don't have those. They also asked for resume from both my wife and I, and also to include travel history and publications. Of course I've provided them all these as of Aug 15th, and the consulate has acknowledge receiving those documents, and now we're under Administrative Processing under 221g of National Security Act. The question is the length this process can take, I've read it can take from weeks to months and even year.

Given your experience with similar situation where the consulate request for additional document, and you've provided them those, how long typically does this process take?

Thank you

Ning Zhang

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topics to study;

Resume request: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43681-request-for-resume/

They can and do request past years returns.

Depends on case, in most cases AR can be as short as a few days, to a month or so. If is an issue with CCP membership then typically 4 months.

I have seen a few cases where resume is being asked for, perhaps looking for jobs that may be CCP membership required.

Topics to study;

Resume request: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43681-request-for-resume/

Depends on case, in most cases AR can be as short as a few days, to a month or so. If is an issue with CCP membership then typically 4 months.

I have seen a few cases where resume is being asked for, perhaps looking for jobs that may be CCP membership required.

For my wife's case, they only require the tax return and resume, in the blue refusal sheet, CCP was crossed out, so I assume they want no information relating to CCP. I'm not sure why they request my wife's resume as she have no technical background, however them questioning my resume with I have a nuclear engineering background and work at a national lab in U.S. seems questionable, not that it matters since I'm already in U.S.

Topics to study;

For my wife's case, they only require the tax return and resume, in the blue refusal sheet, CCP was crossed out, so I assume they want no information relating to CCP. I'm not sure why they request my wife's resume as she have no technical background, however them questioning my resume with I have a nuclear engineering background and work at a national lab in U.S. seems questionable, not that it matters since I'm already in U.S.

Although GUZ does not technically need three years of tax returns for fiances, they do. And for a wife, it is part of the I-864 and is expected. I also have a nuclear engineering background from the Navy and nuclear engineering dept aboard subs and working at nuclear facilites, which I provided on my resume and no issue.

Little confusing from reading your post on if she belonged to CCP. If she belonged, they would clearly want. If she did not belong, then of course, no issue.

But I am wondering after reading of one members spousal difficulties is that her resume can help obviously define her. Not sure how they view a Chinese woman being a second wife and/or basically paid for gf and how that looks in the eyes of the Consulate. Although aware that many 2nd wives in the past received visas. I was more than concerned when meeting Chinese women online, what they did. Several women did not want me to really know and repeatedly dodge the question or kept me in the dark. Does it mean that they are looking for an American and a free ride to replace the married husband that is taking care of them? Sorry for thinking out loud, but I am sure it happens, but I do not remember reading anything about how the Consulate sees it and the bonafide. It has been mentioned before that they should not overly intrude into our relationships and protect us, but everyone has their opinion of GUZ and I truly wonder how many American men they have protected from fraud....so sorry for this, simply thinking out loud

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

Well, its good to hear that someone with similar background does not have trouble going through this process. As for CCP, my wife was never in it or will be, therefore it was crossed out on one of the request sheet. As for second wife, no I've never been married, nor has she, so there is no issue for that.

I just would like more opinions of people that has gone through this process where Guangzhou asks for more simple documents such as tax return or statement on why I didn't have it for previous years (I was still in college), and how long do they usually wait for those cases.

Thanks

What is your ethic background?

If you don't have the finances asked for, what is it you want to understand? You had the option when filing the I-864 to submit 3 years; obviously you choose not to do that and now they are asking for it... ergo; You were forewarned at the NVC phase about this.

This process is used by many to circumvent the illegal immigration process visa a so-called legeal immigration process. GUZ knows this better than anyone and watches for it. They asked for more info. Just give it. Why question it.

If you don't have the finances asked for, what is it you want to understand? You had the option when filing the I-864 to submit 3 years; obviously you choose not to do that and now they are asking for it... ergo; You were forewarned at the NVC phase about this.

This process is used by many to circumvent the illegal immigration process visa a so-called legeal immigration process. GUZ knows this better than anyone and watches for it. They asked for more info. Just give it. Why question it.

Ethic background? as in ethnics? I'm Chinese.

The reason why I didn't file 3 years is because I only have 1 year of tax return to file 2010, the previous 2, 2009 and 2008, I was still in college.

I did provide what I can provide in terms of tax return, and since I do not have 2008 and 2009 tax return, I've provided a written statement on why I don't have it, and that was part of instruction on the blue sheet. I'm not questioning, I have provided what they asked for.

What I like to know is how long does similar AP cases will take

The reason why I didn't file 3 years is because I only have 1 year of tax return to file 2010, the previous 2, 2009 and 2008, I was still in college.

I did provide what I can provide in terms of tax return, and since I do not have 2008 and 2009 tax return, I've provided a written statement on why I don't have it, and that was part of instruction on the blue sheet. I'm not questioning, I have provided what they asked for.

Ning, it's darn near impossible to say how long the wait is on your case. Two weeks, two months??? An educated guess would be 2 or 3 months.

The State Department in Guangzhou wants 3 years of tax returns, even if you made zero on two of them. It's THEIR individual law even though the forms say one or two years...they want 3.

I assume you have a co-sponsor since you were in school for two of the years.

You should be fine...but you'll have to wait for them to get you back into the system. YOu can always use their form and e-mail them with questions but I'd give it a few weeks or a month before doing so.

Good luck.

tsap seui

Ning, it's darn near impossible to say how long the wait is on your case. Two weeks, two months??? An educated guess would be 2 or 3 months.

The State Department in Guangzhou wants 3 years of tax returns, even if you made zero on two of them. It's THEIR individual law even though the forms say one or two years...they want 3.

I assume you have a co-sponsor since you were in school for two of the years.

You should be fine...but you'll have to wait for them to get you back into the system. YOu can always use their form and e-mail them with questions but I'd give it a few weeks or a month before doing so.

Good luck.

tsap seui

This is getting frustrating as we're getting mixed messages. While filing the forum, I was not required to file the previous 2, since it says last years tax return, and I figure it'll be good since I don't have the previous 2 anyway. Unfortunately, I do not know Guangzhou have their individual law, and they don't need to follow what U.S. has set.

As for co-sponsor, why should I need one? I have a stable job with annual salary around 63k, I've began work September last year so I only have around 30k around tax return, even then both are well above what I need for AOS.

The idea of this being illegal immigration is absurd.

Your income last year may be cause for concern, if it's the only figure they have to go by. You need to emphasize your current salary - a letter from your employer and/or a cover sheet which indicates your job title, employer, and salary would be nice. Yes, they can ASK for three years returns - it might be wise to have them filled out (even showing zero income), since they are being asked for.

An income of less than $50,000 can cause them to take a closer look at your application, and even require a co-sponsor - but if you can place your current salary and job position up front (cover sheet), that may fit the bill.

They don't operate under different laws, but sometimes "enough" is just not enough when the Visa Officer takes a five minute look at your case.

Take a look at the picture a VO will see when he looks at your documents, and make sure they provide an accurate picture. You already know what it should look like - make sure that's what he'll see.

They did not specify a co-sponsor, however in the list of supporting documents that I send in along with my explanation on why I don't have previous 2 years of tax return, I've attached my college transcript which shows the years that I was in college. A letter of employment stating the date I was hired, my position, my salary and contact information.

So what I send to the Consulate for review should paint the picture that: 1) I was in college from 2006-2010 shows by my college transcript, thus I did not file tax return. 2) I was hired by my employer on Sept last year with job title, salary, and manager name. 3) on the verification of employ letter mentioned earlier, there are contact numbers just in case they want to validate my position.

I don't see what else I'm missing from this. I guess at this point in time, I need to wait longer... I've read previous posts where someone gotten a call-in letter to send their passport around 19 days after they submitted their additional documents. I hope this can apply to me as well.

From what you are telling us, you should be fine.

But none of us can see your petition and none of us sees what GUZ sees. And they are constantly evolving. I am sure the VOs have meetings every day/week on how to combat visa fraud. China is one if not the highest. Do a little research and you will know this. You are asking us for best guess. We all have different backgrounds, but we are trying to see a better picture to help with the guess -- when will you know. Not trying to be harsh, but you asked.

For the I-134 (Fiancee -- Non-immigrant) the form only requires one year (if my memory serves me correct), the standard is lower than the Immigrant, so the I-864. And yes, technically speaking the I-864 gives you the option of one year.

Do a little research for your wife's petition and you will find that we have to present 3 years or a reason why not. If you did, maybe you would have skipped the Blue phase and not be asking how long.

But I can guarantee you that it is going to take longer than it would if you had done the research and sent the explanation to them originally. So who are you angry or frustrated with?

It is common knowledge that they ask for all 3 years, you can decide not to and see how far it gets you. Granted to that you are not fighting it now, but questioning it. Like we are saying don't, it is part of the process. You sound like a smart guy, then do a little research. I would think it would have taken you little time to figure out that what you did not send -- THEY WANTED.

None of us are shocked about your BLUE and what they requested. Typical GUZ. They have their reason. Now you have to wait for weeks or months...

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

Unless I'm missing something, the OP stated in his first post that he had provided the docs asked for and the GUZ acknowledged receiving them. He then simply asked for opinions on a time frame he could expect based on similar past cases. Somehow that morphed into suggestions of illegality, fraud, being angry, not having done the proper research and a question of his ethnicity. No wonder he's frustrated. :sosad:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Let's not be too harsh on the guy, he was only going on what should be reasonable. What the minimum is required. Ning it is pretty common practice for GZ to ask for 3 years returns. You may need to file taxes on the previous years even though you don't owe any. Also based on your short employment history they may want you to have a co sponsor. I would advise you to have one ready if needed. Good luck.

I can certainly find myself a co-sponsor, my parents are willing to do that, however I'm not sure what the current course of action is. I've already submitted all the documents they require, and the consulate already place the case under AP review. I emailed the consulate if I require to submit any additional documents and they said no. Therefore I believe I should just wait and see from Guangzhou, hoping it can be a short process.