At The Point Of Entry

Hey all,

I've seen plenty of write-ups on here about the interview and immigration challenges, but I don't think anyone actually covered what goes on at the airport when your loved one comes to America for the first time. I was actually stressing a little about it because I thought she would have to go through another interview and could potentially be denied entry or something, I really had no idea.

So, for any of you wondering, here is what happened for us (I accompanied her from China to the U.S.)

We arrived at our POE, which was Los Angeles. I filled out the customs form for the two of us (since we are family by marriage). Now, I hope you kept your packet from Guangzhou in your carry-on luggage, because you need that (we had her x-rays too...More on that later). What you will see is a line for citizens, a line for residents, and a line for tourists. Most of the Chinese will go to the tourist line, a few will go to the resident and citizen lines.

Again, I figured since we were family, we should go through a the line together, so I lined up with her in the "Residents" line. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. When finally it was our turn, I walked up to the officer and presented both of our passports, taking the initiative to tell the officer that it was her first time to come to America. He looked at our passports, and asked if we had the packet. I took it out and showed him. He told us everything was fine, we just needed to walk down to gate 1 (we were at gate 18 or so) to have the packet examined, and he handed our passports back. He then asked my wife to take a photo at the mounted web-cam thing, and then took her fingerprints electronically on the pad right in front of us. After this, I asked if he wanted her x-rays. He kind of chuckled and said no, that wasn't needed. He seemed very friendly and nice.

So far so good. My wife and I marched right down the aisle to gate 1, right in front of all the waiting lines and officers because that's what our officer told us to do. When we got to the end, we were at a desk staffed by an older man. I told him it was my wife's first time in the U.S. and she was an immigrant. He asked for the packet and her passport. He proceeded to tear the packet open and I was surprised to see it contained the I-130 I submitted in Beijing all those months ago as well as some other papers. He started thumbing through everything, not really seeming to look that closely at it. There were yellow tabs telling him where he needed to sign stuff.

After a few minutes, he took us around back of the desk and put on latex gloves. I remember thinking "Oh no, here comes the body cavity search!" but all he did was proceeded to hold my wife's hand and direct her to make her fingerprints using real ink on a piece of paper. She then had to sign the paper. After that, he told us to leave our carry-on luggage there by the desk and go get our checked bags from the conveyer belt while he finished up the administrative stuff. We went and got our bags and came back, waiting behind the desk. After a few more minutes, he asked us to come around the front. I think my wife had to sign a few more papers, then he stamped her passport and signed the stamp. I asked if it was all over. He said yes, that was all. I asked about the x-rays and if he wanted to see them. He kind of scoffed and said no, he didn't need them and that I could keep them. So basically, we carried those rolled up x-ray tubes for nothing, but, as I learned in China, it's always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

That was seriously it. No questions, no hassle, completely stress free. After the standard customs questions and stuff later, my wife and I finally walked out of the airport, hand in hand, into the warm Los Angeles sun. She was in America.

Hope this helps anyone who is wondering about the process.

• Like 1

Actually POE procedure is discussed quite often.

On flight, Depending on visa type;

• K-1 or other non-immigrants are required to do I-94 card, can be done on plane.
  • CR-1, IR-1 or other resident visa types as well as residents and citizens do not do the I-94 card.
  • All travelers do the Customs Declaration card, personal things do not need to be declared. Cash in amounts more than 10K does.

At POE:

• Most POE have 2 lines (Residents/Citizens) and (Immigrants/Visitors) persons with visa should go through (Immigrants/Visitors) line, any citizen/resident traveling can accompany immigrant in this line.
  • If returning on a trip with a green-card, use the Resident line.
  • Yes Brown envelope must be in carry on baggage, x-ray however is rarely looked at at the POE. Brown envelope is taken by the POE officer.
  • The "interview" tends to be just a "welcome to the USA" and a few instructions by the officer, they take a photo, and fingerprint.
  • It is rare for the POE officer to take immigrant aside for a detailed interview.
  • If traveling on a CR-1 visa and traveling after 2 years of marriage, point this out to the POE officer, and show marriage cert to show this, this ensures a 10 year unconditional green-card.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Good stuff, I didn't see that on here before.

I do want to point out something that was different from what you described (in L.A., anyway)...

There were THREE lines there, one for citizens, one for "residents", and one for tourist/visitors. We lined up in the resident line and it was no problem. Basically, I think any line besides citizens is fine, the officers seemed understanding because we really weren't sure what to do.

Thanks for the info in your post, it's always good to know.

Thank you for posting a detailed description of what you went through, however I have a different question related to POE.

In my case, most likely, my wife will come to U.S. probably through L.A. (when that will be I don't know, after AP I hope). Unfortunately, in order to save money, I won't be going to China and then back having to purchase additional round trip ticket, so basically one way ticket for my wife. Now once she goes through the U.S. Customs, she'll hand in her sealed package which should be send by the embassy the same time she receives her visa. I heard there is some paperwork to be done, and fingerprints etc. Now I was wondering if it is possible for me to be in that terminal once she get offs the plane and have to do all those paperwork, I figure having me will put her at ease, since the first thing she'll experience is overwhelming culture differences.

Edited by ning1986 (see edit history)

@ning1986 - I believe the US Customs area is still a secure area. My first thought is that you wouldn't be able to do this, however, I hope that I am wrong.

@ning1986 - I believe the US Customs area is still a secure area. My first thought is that you wouldn't be able to do this, however, I hope that I am wrong.

Correct, Customs and Immigrations is in the secure international portion of the terminal, the closest you could get would be baggage claim which is outside the secured area.

Correct, Customs and Immigrations is in the secure international portion of the terminal, the closest you could get would be baggage claim which is outside the secured area.

Are you sure there? Baggage claim would usually be before customs - you are typically required to pull your bags past a customs officer, in case they decide to take a look.

There'll be plenty of Chinese people on the plane to help her, though, if she needs it. It's usually just a matter of checking her paperwork.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 5 weeks later...

This is great info, my wife will be coming alone later in October and doesn't speak English. I came through San Francisco myself just today, and noticed that the Citizens/Residents lined up together. When I got to the front of the line, I noticed that over on one end there were two windows marked "New Immigrants." When it was my turn I asked the officer about this and he just smiled and said not to worry, if she comes through the Residents line they'll just take her over to the New Immigrants line. He seemed very relaxed about the whole thing, which certainly helped me! :P

I think I remember that, in L.A., for connecting flights you get your luggage and basically exit the terminal (same as you would if your final destination was L.A.) -- is that right? I'll be flying to LA or SF to meet her and fly back with her. In SF, there are hallways connecting to security very close to regular check-in (after putting your bags in the "re-check bags" area) so we could meet up there.

Does anyone have anything to add to that, or corrections to make?

My wife got her visa package, but a corner had been torn; I know they're not supposed to open it before POE. She says the tear is not big enough to take anything out even if she wanted to. I saw it on Skype, and she's right, but it's not a really small tear, either.

Anyone had a problem at LAX due to this? I'd hate to go back to the US Embassy and ask for another package, but I will if I have to.

My wife got her visa package, but a corner had been torn; I know they're not supposed to open it before POE. She says the tear is not big enough to take anything out even if she wanted to. I saw it on Skype, and she's right, but it's not a really small tear, either.

Anyone had a problem at LAX due to this? I'd hate to go back to the US Embassy and ask for another package, but I will if I have to.

If I remember correctly, there's a reason for that tear, and no, it doesn't make any difference as far as acceptance at the POE. But I don't remember what the reason is, unless it's simply for "viewing" purposes (some airport officials may want to verify that papers are inside).

If you got another one, they would simply take the documents out of the old envelope and put them in a new one - with a similar opening - possibly having to verify the contents in the meantime.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My wife's packet corner was cut. If that's what you're referring to, it's not an issue