The "Flash divorce": Shutdown?

For love and profit: Marriage in China

It's called a "flash divorce", and its gold-digging perpetrator could be the husband or the wife, but typically it is a female stratagem with four basic moves: Woo the man, move into the house, divorce the man, take the house.

This month the Supreme People's Court shut that industry down.

The strategy would be a little different (and longer term) when the goal is the green card.

Wow, Randy!

That was an interesting read, even at 4 am on a Sunday morning. :lol:

It is fascinating, first of all, how the court has swiftly reacted to this problem. Usually, things move a bit more slowly in the Middle Kingdom when it comes to these kinds of changes in the law. I guess their has been an increasing outcry on the part of the parents of male children who have been taken in by the matrimonial gold diggers.....thanks for posting this.

An interesting side note

Judges must remain loyal¨Cin order¨Cto the Party, the state, the masses and, finally, the law, according to the report issued to the National People¡¯s Congress in 2009 by the Supreme People¡¯s Court.

Mcgregor, Richard (2010). The Party: The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers (p. 24). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

It's called a "flash divorce", and its gold-digging perpetrator could be the husband or the wife, but typically it is a female stratagem with four basic moves: Woo the man, move into the house, divorce the man, take the house.

The strategy would be a little different (and longer term) when the goal is the green card.

But, but, but Randy nothing like that would never happen to an American man that married a Chinese woman. We all know that all of them are only looking for just a GOOD husband right?

Seriously though it is a terrible game that some of them play and these kind of girls give the ones that truly want a good husband and a good home a black eye.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Yep. The worst are those women that don't even realize what they're doing and the gold-digging comes naturally

But, but, but Randy nothing like that would never happen to an American man that married a Chinese woman. We all know that all of them are only looking for just a GOOD husband right?

Seriously though it is a terrible game that some of them play and these kind of girls give the ones that truly want a good husband and a good home a black eye.

Larry

I read a while back some happliy married couples were divorcing so that could each acquire apartments offered to individuals in one province.

Chinese couples fake divorce to buy property

Yang Yijun

China Daily

Publication Date : 15-10-2010

The latest Chinese government regulation limiting families to the purchase of only one new apartment has led many couples in the city to fake a divorce to dodge the rule.

According to a regulation issued by the Shanghai government on Oct 7, every household in Shanghai is allowed to purchase only one more commercial residential property starting Oct 7. Anyone in violation will not be able to register his or her ownership of the property.

But some couples are reportedly turning to fake-certificate companies for phony divorce certificates in order to buy more new apartments.

The Shanghai Morning Post randomly called five fake-certificate companies, who all said the number of clients coming for fake divorce certificates has been on the rise in recent days. Some clients even come with a housing agent, the report said.

An unnamed staff member at a fake-certificate company was quoted as saying that a fake divorce certificate usually costs 300 yuan (US$45), while two certificates for a couple can be bought at a discount - two for 500 yuan ($75). Except for the serial number on the certificate, which is random, the other elements are the same as real ones.

Local media reports said fake divorce certificates became popular when the government tightened measures in March to curb property speculation.

MORE...

http://www.asianewsn...ws.php?id=14959

Yep back in 2006 saw this:

Entering Splitsville, China

The World | COLUMN ONE

The villagers thought divorce was their loophole to a better life. Officials said not so fast, which is what some exes said about reuniting.

May 08, 2006|Ching-Ching Ni | Times Staff WriterFarmer Yan Shihai was happily married for more than 30 years. Then late last year, seemingly out of the blue, the 57-year-old grandfather and his loving wife got a divorce.

Within months, all three of his adult children and their spouses also split up. So did almost every other married person in Yan's village of 4,000 -- an astounding 98% of Renhe's married couples officially parted, according to the local government.

It was as if a spell had been cast over this once-quiet rural community in the Chinese heartland. Everybody suddenly seemed to have fallen out of love. The oldest among them were in their 90s and barely able to move. The youngest had just tied the knot. Some had babies.

But instead of tension or tears, the couples waiting in line at the local registry to end their marriages were practically jolly. They believed they were taking advantage of a legal loophole that allowed them to get an extra apartment.

In a country where the government has seized farm after farm to feed a building boom, the villagers figured that if they were going to lose the land that had supported them for generations, they should at least try to get a better deal.

"Basically, it's the government that forced us into this mess," said Yu Changle, a 70-year-old grandfather whose three children are also divorced. "They are not paying us enough to leave the land behind."

As they understood the compensation deal, each married couple would receive a small two-bedroom apartment in return for their land and farmhouse. Those divorced would get a one-bedroom apartment each. The villagers figured that would be a better deal, that they could live in one apartment and make a little extra income from selling or renting out the extra one.

So, whereas farmers elsewhere took to the streets with their picks and plows demanding higher compensation in protests seen across the Chinese countryside, the folks in Renhe took a gamble with their marriages.

"Divorced? How could I not be divorced? It's now a local custom!" Yan said as he sat on the stoop outside his new apartment building with a handful of neighbors -- all divorced, of course. "Even if we hate it, we have to do it. Divorce gives us a chance to sit on a longer bench. Don't get divorced, and you sit on a small stool or in the dirt."

But if what happened here is any guide, breaking up is hard to do, even if you don't mean it.

Most of the villagers eagerly parted ways based on the assumption that after the new apartments came through, they would remarry and return to their old life. But authorities found out about the mass divorces, and changed the compensation package early this year.

If farmers who divorced after the rules changed still wanted an extra apartment, the government said, they had to pay close to market price for it. Of course, none of the farmers could afford to do that.

And for most of those who split up earlier, it's a long wait before they will see the new apartments, if at all -- the government didn't build enough one-bedroom apartments to accommodate the unexpected demand from a village where nearly all the couples are divorced.

MORE...

http://articles.lati...rld/fg-divorce8

Actually my wife and I have been discussing this ruling, and its effects on our daughter for a few days now.

With the new ruling, the assignment of one or more of our apartments to her becomes more importants before the marriage.

After they are married we worry the spouse could say the gift was to the couple.

To us americans, it is understandable that pre-marriage property belong to the original owner in the event of divorce, but in China this has been one of the few control points to keep a marriage together when the husband goes out with the girl friend. My fear now is that men in China will have no risk at all to marriage. When the courts shored up this avenue for taking advnatage of a person, they should ALSO shore up the child support.

In America, you have a child with a woman, and then divorce her, 20% or your net income is going to her until that child graduates from high school. In China the child support is so low, and seldom enforced. My daughters father pays about 500 RMB per month for her while his income is WAY more than 2500 RMB per month.

I am happy that China courts are working to ensure fairness in the law, but the women in marriage are left with almost nothing when the husband decides to change skirts. If they have a child, no one is looking after the child when the woman is divorced, unmarriable, with child, and no home.

I think this is a law focusing on a single problem, without considering the many other issues they have just thrown into imballance.

Actually my wife and I have been discussing this ruling, and its effects on our daughter for a few days now.

With the new ruling, the assignment of one or more of our apartments to her becomes more importants before the marriage.

After they are married we worry the spouse could say the gift was to the couple.

To us americans, it is understandable that pre-marriage property belong to the original owner in the event of divorce, but in China this has been one of the few control points to keep a marriage together when the husband goes out with the girl friend. My fear now is that men in China will have no risk at all to marriage. When the courts shored up this avenue for taking advnatage of a person, they should ALSO shore up the child support.

In America, you have a child with a woman, and then divorce her, 20% or your net income is going to her until that child graduates from high school. In China the child support is so low, and seldom enforced. My daughters father pays about 500 RMB per month for her while his income is WAY more than 2500 RMB per month.

I am happy that China courts are working to ensure fairness in the law, but the women in marriage are left with almost nothing when the husband decides to change skirts. If they have a child, no one is looking after the child when the woman is divorced, unmarriable, with child, and no home.

I think this is a law focusing on a single problem, without considering the many other issues they have just thrown into imballance.

Every coin does indeed have two sides. Once again the bad ones make life for the good ones more difficult.

Larry

very interesting article... contains various items to consider:

Divorce rates have been on the increase for eight straight years, with more than 1.1 million couples calling it quits in China's courts last year; in the first three months of this year, 465,000 divorce cases were filed, a 17% jump, and many of these cases involve property disputes.

As usually with statistics, they really don't clarify WHO is getting divorced. Previously divorced people are much more likely to seek a divorce given a particular issue which a first-marriage may not. So it would be nice to see a better breakdown.

Add to the mix China's one-child policy and the traditional Chinese preference for sons to carry on the family name, which often translates into lavish parental attention and support for these special, spoiled male avatars of a family's future hopes and aspirations. Add, too, the legions of husbands who cheat on their angry, frustrated wives.

Add to what mix??? the divorce mix? That was my point...

Since its introduction in 1978, the policy has - largely as a result of self-selective abortions - created a 118-100 male-female ratio countrywide; in some provinces, the ratio is as high as 130-100, which can make lonely, perhaps even desperate bachelors easy pickings for young women looking for a short-term marriage that can be parlayed into long-term financial gain.

I am not sure this is a result of the One-Child Policy... Take just one example. In an interview with Mao, he discussed the problems of the propensity of female births and that a couple will "keep trying" to get that boy... This is an understanding of chinese history and spoken about 10 years PRIOR to the one-child policy.

QUOTE: At the same time, the lopsided sex ratio has also served to reinforce male dominance in the workplace, where sexual discrimination remains rampant and wages for women fall well below those of their male counterparts.

So this quickly smells of 'Western propaganda' on chinese culture and history...

QUOTE: And, like all good capitalists worldwide, these determined women want to own their own home, whether or not there is a loveable husband and family living in it.

So the 3 C's woman is assumed to be fully loving and trusting?

QUOTE: Who can blame them?

It's the 3 C's... many kowtows to the author...

Anyways... the court's swift ruling, if truly based on reasonable and necessary action is commendable... I think maybe there is a panel of MALE judges wanting to save this victimized and over-populated MALES... :D

----

Editorial: This software is pathetic if you cannot quote more than 3 texts... you will get an error...

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

. . .

quote: Divorce rates have been on the increase for eight straight years, with more than 1.1 million couples calling it quits in China's courts last year; in the first three months of this year, 465,000 divorce cases were filed, a 17% jump, and many of these cases involve property disputes. /endquote

As usually with statistics, they really don't clarify WHO is getting divorced. Previously divorced people are much more likely to seek a divorce given a particular issue which a first-marriage may not. So it would be nice to see a better breakdown.

quote: Add to the mix China's one-child policy and the traditional Chinese preference for sons to carry on the family name, which often translates into lavish parental attention and support for these special, spoiled male avatars of a family's future hopes and aspirations. Add, too, the legions of husbands who cheat on their angry, frustrated wives. /endquote

Add to what mix??? the divorce mix? That was my point...

The article is about the Supreme People's Court ruling, which affects divorcing couples regardless of how many previous marriages - the "mix" is those males and females who are under pressure for various reasons to marry. The Court ruling is obviously aimed at those females who see an opportunity to take advantage of the situation.

quote: Since its introduction in 1978, the policy has - largely as a result of self-selective abortions - created a 118-100 male-female ratio countrywide; in some provinces, the ratio is as high as 130-100, which can make lonely, perhaps even desperate bachelors easy pickings for young women looking for a short-term marriage that can be parlayed into long-term financial gain. /endquote

I am not sure this is a result of the One-Child Policy... Take just one example. In an interview with Mao, he discussed the problems of the propensity of female births and that a couple will "keep trying" to get that boy... This is an understanding of chinese history and spoken about 10 years PRIOR to the one-child policy.

DESIRING a male child (or repeating attempts to conceive one) doesn't change the odds of conceiving one - it is ALWAYS 50-50 male/female regardless of how many previous children (male or female) you have had. In the absence of external factors, the number of males and females CONCEIVED will be VERY close to equal (I think the natural ratio is 101 to 100 or something like that) - even in a society with a pronounced preference for males. The One-Child Policy doesn't change the odds, either - it (as pointed out) increases the occurrences of "self-selective abortions". A fundamental law of probability at play, as modified by external ("selective") factors.

QUOTE: At the same time, the lopsided sex ratio has also served to reinforce male dominance in the workplace, where sexual discrimination remains rampant and wages for women fall well below those of their male counterparts.

So this quickly smells of 'Western propaganda' on chinese culture and history...

The article was from the Asian Times out of Hong Kong - the site is apparently hosted in the US, but I doubt for propaganda reasons

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

. . .

At the same time, the lopsided sex ratio has also served to reinforce male dominance in the workplace, where sexual discrimination remains rampant and wages for women fall well below those of their male counterparts.

The article was from the Asian Times out of Hong Kong - the site is apparently hosted in the US, but I doubt for propaganda reasons

I thought the same thing as David when I read this last bit. The statement isn't explained and isn't backed up with any facts. Before anyone jumps on me and says how I know nothing about all the work and wage discrimination against women in China, what I mean by their "statement" is that this discrimination is connected with the lopsided sex ratio. It seems to me that, overall, the family planning policy has made life better for the girls who are actually born, as their parents are more willing/able to invest in their education.

If someone understands the writer's reasoning on this point, perhaps you can post about it?

Unlike the US, divorce judgments in China are usually lopsided in favor of men. Men are more often awarded custody and even if the woman does retain custody the child support awarded to her is a pittance. I can see a need to keep gold diggers from cashing in but I also see how women could be even more be victimized.

The article is about the Supreme People's Court ruling, which affects divorcing couples regardless of how many previous marriages - the "mix" is those males and females who are under pressure for various reasons to marry. The Court ruling is obviously aimed at those females who see an opportunity to take advantage of the situation.

There is a lot more posted than just this... I was calling BS on the other stuff.

DESIRING a male child (or repeating attempts to conceive one) doesn't change the odds of conceiving one - it is ALWAYS 50-50 male/female regardless of how many previous children (male or female) you have had. In the absence of external factors, the number of males and females CONCEIVED will be VERY close to equal (I think the natural ratio is 101 to 100 or something like that) - even in a society with a pronounced preference for males. The One-Child Policy doesn't change the odds, either - it (as pointed out) increases the occurrences of "self-selective abortions". A fundamental law of probability at play, as modified by external ("selective") factors.

There is science.... and there is reality... I see you opt for the former :P

There is actually science as to why chinese ladies seem to produce more girls than boys... I even stated it once before on this site... who knows how many years ago... but we can still to "pure science" to let people feel that they have an understanding of life.. it's just that life is not as one predicts. Good luck with with fuzzy math.

Your looking at science and editorial headings too much... "Feel" the article. Does it read as eastern or western? It is quite obvious.. at least to my energy reading