Yeah, that's what I thought I said Randy. Where did you get the impression that I meant you could get a spouse visa/residence before you were married? In fact, in the very first sentence I said "If you plan to marry your girlfriend before you file ..." (file for DCF, of course).

The OP wants to file DCF and he's talking about filing for a potential wife. I assumed he meant to marry her in China, and as soon as he's married he can apply for a residence permit based on his marriage. Obviously if he's talking about a fiance visa it wouldn't be an option.

I think who said what is very clear - no "impressions" are intended. Please re-read. I'm simply clarifying how he would get one, since you didn't.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a ton, "the local dialect." That is some good info, and this is the route we'll take.

As it is, our plan is to get married, stay in Beijing for another year, and then around that time send in the I-130 package, and go to the US after being married for 2 years. This way, we'll be able to get the 10 year green card right off the bat.

Thanks again! Great info!

Are you still in China at this point? If so, where?

If you plan to marry your girlfriend before you file you can get a residence permit (NOT the same as permanent residence) based on your marriage now. I know because I have one B) . The old "visiting relatives" tourist (L) visa is being replaced by a residence permit for the same purpose. It still doesn't permit you to work legally so it is pretty much the same thing in all but name but it will do the job for the USCIS requirements. It doesn't cost much, I got mine in January for 400rmb and it was pretty easy to get, you just need your spouse's hukou, ID card, etc and your marriage book.

Or, as you say, a student visa of convenience would work too, although that is sort of an expensive route to go all things considered. A residence permit for work (which is what you would get after you entered the country on the Z visa -- Z is for entering only) is not necessarily easy to get if you're already in the country on a different type of visa. At the very least you'd probably have to make a run to Hong Kong to convert the visa type, and that's after you've found a job that will give you one. Much more hassle than just getting the "visiting relatives" residence permit if you plan on getting married before filing anyhow.

If you plan to marry your girlfriend before you file you can get a residence permit (NOT the same as permanent residence) based on your marriage now. I know because I have one B) . The old "visiting relatives" tourist (L) visa is being replaced by a residence permit for the same purpose. It still doesn't permit you to work legally so it is pretty much the same thing in all but name but it will do the job for the USCIS requirements. It doesn't cost much, I got mine in January for 400rmb and it was pretty easy to get, you just need your spouse's hukou, ID card, etc and your marriage book.

How long is this residence permit good for? 6 months? 1 year? 2 Years?

I wonder if it would make sense to get this right before I leave since we will likely come back to visit within about two years.

And this residence permit is different than the residence permit I have based upon my employment. This is so China! rolleyes.gif

I wonder if it would make sense to get this right before I leave since we will likely come back to visit within about two years.

And this residence permit is different than the residence permit I have based upon my employment. This is so China! rolleyes.gif

It is good for one year - renewable at the PSB. This was effective as of last June. You (anyone NOT in China) will still need an L visa to first get in the country, since the residence permits are available only at the PSB.

If it's less than 6 months old, it may or may not help your (Dan's) case, unless they also accept your other evidence of having lived in China for six months. Seems to me they will.

It is good for one year - renewable at the PSB. This was effective as of last June. You (anyone NOT in China) will still need an L visa to first get in the country, since the residence permits are available only at the PSB.

If it's less than 6 months old, it may or may not help your (Dan's) case, unless they also accept your other evidence of having lived in China for six months. Seems to me they will.

Dan's case is different than mine. As part of the procedures when I leave China, my company sponsored residence permit gets cancelled and I get some form of single-exit visa. I just anticipate trying to keep an active Visa to China once we get back to the US. For $60, if it was two years it might have been worth trying to get it before I leave. Since we likely we be coming back for a visit more in the Summer 2013 time frame, it is not worth getting since it will expire before we likely will return.

Dan's case is different than mine. As part of the procedures when I leave China, my company sponsored residence permit gets cancelled and I get some form of single-exit visa. I just anticipate trying to keep an active Visa to China once we get back to the US. For $60, if it was two years it might have been worth trying to get it before I leave. Since we likely we be coming back for a visit more in the Summer 2013 time frame, it is not worth getting since it will expire before we likely will return.

You might check with the PSB anyway to see if they'll give you a 2 year one, but the cost is (I think) around $400, plus a medical exam. Sounds like the visa is the better choice in your case

You might check with the PSB anyway to see if they'll give you a 2 year one, but the cost is (I think) around $400, plus a medical exam. Sounds like the visa is the better choice in your case

Or was that 400RMB? I forget! The cost of my 1 year L-visa (that I inadvertently got instead of a residence permit) was around 1000RMB with no medical exam.

Just to make sure you know - they now offer two year L-visas at the US consulates for spouses.

Or was that 400RMB? I forget! The cost of my 1 year L-visa (that I inadvertently got instead of a residence permit) was around 1000RMB with no medical exam.

Just to make sure you know - they now offer two year L-visas at the US consulates for spouses.

It said 400 RMB earlier in the tread. I always use 15% to convert to USD. That used to overestimate the cost in USD but now it actually underestimates it as the conversion rate has gone from 7.0 to around 6.3 RMB to the Dollar.

I know about the 2-year visa but none of the Chinese consulates are close to my home in the US.

It said 400 RMB earlier in the tread. I always use 15% to convert to USD. That used to overestimate the cost in USD but now it actually underestimates it as the conversion rate has gone from 7.0 to around 6.3 RMB to the Dollar.

I know about the 2-year visa but none of the Chinese consulates are close to my home in the US.

Don't forget the cost of the medical exam - the 2 year visa from the consulate is a MUCH better deal. You should be able to use a visa service without any hassles.

I think it will help my case. After getting married I'll immediately apply for the residence permit. Like I said, we'll send in the I-130 package after being married for a year. SO, at that time I will have already had the residence permit for at least 6 months, in addition to all the other evidence. I think I should be good to go!!

And yes, having the 2 year visa is definitely the more flexible option and way to go. I've been in Beijing for over 14 months with an L-visa and now a F-visa with absolutely no problem.

The only reason I'm worrying about this residence permit is to meet the requirements for DCF-ing.

Once that is complete and in the future when we come back for visits etc, I think the 2 year L-visa is what I'll be doing, at least with the current options on the table.

Don't forget the cost of the medical exam - the 2 year visa from the consulate is a MUCH better deal. You should be able to use a visa service without any hassles.

I think it will help my case. After getting married I'll immediately apply for the residence permit. Like I said, we'll send in the I-130 package after being married for a year. SO, at that time I will have already had the residence permit for at least 6 months, in addition to all the other evidence. I think I should be good to go!!

No doubt - the residence permit will satisfy the requirement in itself after 6 months

You do not need to visit the consulate to apply for a visa, you can use a visa service like Visa Rite, its what I did for 3 visas. Traveling to and from NYC is a pain in the you know what.