Health Insurance for Laopo

mikeymark

I remember asking about costs for heath insurance once my wife arrived in the US and now that I have set up her insurance, I wanted to share the info with fellow CL'ers. FYI, I am retired and on medicare so I did not have the benefit of adding her to an employers insurance policy. I had to acquire a stand alone policy for her.

Upon arrival to CA I set up visitors insurance for the wifey from a web site (http://www.insubuy.com) to cover a possible emergency. This cost was about $350 for 3 months. I spoke with my local insurance agent in CA to set up her permanent health insurance. Before the regular health insurance could be attained she had to be a resident in CA for 3 months which is the reason for the visitors insurance package. I was able to get an Anthem/Blue Cross policy ($1,000 deductible) for under $225/mth which blew me away as I was expecting to pay upwards of $400/mth based on web searches.

I hope this information is of help for those with questions about health insurance. Please note that this is for health insurance in California.

Mike

Yeah, Jingjing has BCBS as well. I think we pay close to 170.00/mo for her. We could of got it cheaper but decided to opt for maternity coverage. Also, if I recall, her deductible is higher which results in a lower monthly premium