Notarizing/Certifiying documents, How to? Where?

I searched but did not find my question answered to the point

-----------

Ok, We DCF and I-130 in Beijing on 07/13/2011, they accepted the documents with no problem. Now we are putting together the documents for P3.

FYI: My husband is from Colombia and I am an American citizen. We got married in the US while in grad school. Now we are both working in Beijing with permanent residence permits.

We want to know:

- Where to notarize translations here in Beijing (spanish to english, and Chinese to english)?

- Is it necesarry to notarize the Affidavits supporting bona fide from family members?

- Is it necesarry to certify the copy of the birth certificate of the joint-sponsor?

Thanks for you advice!

We want to know:

- Where to notarize translations here in Beijing (spanish to english, and Chinese to english)?

- Is it necesarry to notarize the Affidavits supporting bona fide from family members?

- Is it necesarry to certify the copy of the birth certificate of the joint-sponsor?

Thanks for you advice!

1. In general, Guangzhou wants a GongZhengShu ¹«Ö¤Êé (i.e white book) for any Chinese to English translation. I think the only translation this may apply to you is the police certificate. (Your husband likely will need a police certificate from Columbia and the US as well). However, I think others have had problems getting this for a non-Chinese citizen. The frustrating part is the fact that he is still in the country more-or-less is proof he hasn't gotten into trouble with the Chinese authorities (as he likely would be deported or in jail). I think the Spanish to English can be translated by anyone who is fluent. He may have already done this for his birth certificate when he entered the States. Your marriage certificate should be in English already. I would send an email to Guangzhou (http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html) and ask.

2. If you already submitted the I-130 and have enough other evidence, you might not need the Affidavits as they likely will not even accept them at Guangzhou during the interview. Obviously, it can't hurt. As Ryan said, they should be notarized.

3. Looking at the instructions for the I-864 (at the end), it just says a copy of birth certificate, not a certified copy (or a copy of a passport)

The US would require one from each city he lived in while there, but the USCIS (who you turn the I-130 in to) will normally get these themselves (DON'T get these yourselves unless asked to).

For notarization, you may need to go to the US consulate/embassy for non-Chinese or non-official documents. Each consulate provides (American) notary services for citizens and non-citizens, but is expensive.

Thanks for you advice guys! FYI: we have not received P3, we are just getting ahead of the game...

Yes, the US embassy charges US$50 per notarized/certified document, crazy! Fortunately we have a friend that is a notary in the US to whom all the affidavits will be mailed to, then they will all mailed to us.

Yes, my husband has translated his birth certificate and Colombian Police record. We will have these translations notarized by our friend in the US.

We just realized that in the OF-169 it says that certified copies of birth certificates (petitioner and beneficiary) are not essential: "Photostatic copies are acceptable provided the original is offered for inspection by the consular officer."

So, after getting the Chinese police certificate, where do we get this "white book"?

Edited by Christian (see edit history)

So, after getting the Chinese police certificate, where do we get this "white book"?

You go to the GongZhengShu ¹«Ö¤Êé office. It is the official government notary office. My guess is in Beijing there are multiple of them though there is only typically one in most Chinese cities.

1. Translations do not need to be notarized, only certified, certification only involves the translator certifying that the translation is a true and accurate translation and that they are fluent in both languages. Translation should be done by a third party, a friend is fine, and do not need to be a professional translator...

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC (Or Consulate). The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:
  • Translation is accurate, and
  • Translator is competent to translate.

http://travel.state..../info_3195.html (Note: in Chine any Chinese docs also need to be translated.)

2. Affidavits of support (I-864) and docs attached to this are NOT notarized.

Affidavits showing bonafide marital relationship should be notarized, normally these are filed with the I-130 as per the I-130 directions. Note getting a statement notarized normally require the person making the statement sign the statement IN-Front of the notary, and the notary verifies the person's ID to confirm the person signing the statement IS in fact the person making the statement.

3. Joint sponsor only needs to show proof that they are a US Citizen or US permanent Resident, and show that they have US Domicile, Birth cert can be a photo-copy of a certified US birth certificate or the certificate it self, or they can use a copy of US passport bio page, or copy of a green-card. As well as financial evidence as per I-864 directions..

As others said will need a police cert from places lived since age 16.. Police certs not in English need to be translated, in China you will get only one cert from entire country, no need to try for one from the USA, the state department will handle that one for you. You will need one from Columbia, and any other country lived in for periods longer than 6 months.

http://travel.state....195.html#police

http://travel.state....5.html?cid=8947 (Columbia)

http://travel.state....5.html?cid=9015 (China)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)