i-751 and traveling to China

Hi,

My wife's green card expires 3/30/2012. We plan to travel to China in April 2012. And plan to come back in 3 to 4 weeks.

Let's say we file the i-751 on 01/01/2012 (90 days prior to the expiration), will we be safe to go to China in April 2012? It will be best if we can get the new card before traveling, but is it likely or even possible?

Let's say my wife gets a NOA that extends the green card by one more year, will the China Cusotms, Airline agents, or US Customs understand that the "expired" green card is actually not expired?

Will be receive some kind of appointment notice while we are in China?

I would like to know if anyone has been in similar situations and how did the experience go?

The other plan to go travel to China in February 2012 and file the i-751 in March (We don't really want to go during that time because the whether is too cold, April is the ideal time)

Any advise is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jin

It probably will be safe to travel in this scenario, given that the Biometrics appointment happens prior to travel and not while you are out of the country.

While at biometrics, if it is at your local field office request an I-551 stamp in passport, to prevent any complications when leaving China to return home to the USA, some have reported problems with the exit control in China when having an expired green-card, and only the extension letter from the I-751 filing.

Asked often SEE:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43529-i-751-application-date/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43506-another-concern-about-removing-conditions-while-out-of-the-country/

One member reported his wife was denied boarding the plane coming home because her green card had expired and they wouldn't accept the extension letter for the I-751. In this case the problem was more with the airline than the Chinese government. I suspect that if you get the stamp in her passport as Dan suggested you wouldn't have any problems but I don't know that for a fact. I recommend that you check with the airline she is coming home on before making solid travel plans.

Humm... I doubt the airline in China can give us any info. It sounds the safest thing to do is to travel before the 2-year green card expires or to wait for the new card to come before traveling.

Will there be any problem is the green card is to expire on 3/30/2012 when we exit China, say, on 3/20/2012? Will they deny the exit because the card will expire in such a short time then?

Also, I heard that the new card will normally come between 6 months to 1 year from the time of application. Is that right?

Thanks,

Jin

Humm... I doubt the airline in China can give us any info. It sounds the safest thing to do is to travel before the 2-year green card expires or to wait for the new card to come before traveling.

Will there be any problem is the green card is to expire on 3/30/2012 when we exit China, say, on 3/20/2012? Will they deny the exit because the card will expire in such a short time then?

Also, I heard that the new card will normally come between 6 months to 1 year from the time of application. Is that right?

Thanks,

Jin

A valid card is a valid card, cannot deny boarding with a valid card, they should not care if it expires AFTER traveling to the USA, should not get stuck in an airport for weeks like that character played by Tom Hanks in the movie The Terminal.

As for timeline, 4 months to a year depending on things like name checks and processing. More than likely 4-6 months.