Affidavit of Support PKG3

Hello guys! I am expecting to receive package 3 any time, and looking ahead I am already starting on it. However, I am a little confused about the Affidavit of Support. I don't meet the income required so I had planned to get support from my father. The problem is I don't know how to do this.

From what I can tell. I should fill out an Affidavit of Support, I-864. Then have my father fill out the form I-864A. And thats it? Or does he need to ALSO fill out the I-864? I'm a little confused about what all is necessary. And it says to mail the I-864 with package 3, do I mail my fathers also with it? or give it at the interview?

And, I'm going to guess this is not possible, but going to ask anyways. Since im doing DCF, my Dad is in USA, which makes it inconvenient for me to get the form. Is it necessary I have him mail a signed copy to me, or is there any chance scanned or copied signed copy sent over the internet to me and printed will do?

You will provide an I-864 as primary sponsor, your joint sponsor will also provide an I-864 as a joint sponsor.

When to use an I-864A can be confusing.

I-864A is only used by a member of household to add their income to that of a sponsor or joint sponsor, since you are living overseas your may not be considered to be a member of your parent's household, also this tends to be a one way thing, you may be a member of your parent's household since your parent is head of household, however since you are NOT the head of household your parent may not be considered to be a member of YOUR household. A parent can only be considered to be a member of YOUR household if they are a dependent of yours.

Where did you file the I-130 Petition? In China to the consulate or embassy, or in the states?

If in China, both I-864s normally get carried to the consulate for document turn-in prior to interview, If P3 instructions specifically request the I-864 mailed to them, then BOTH need to be mailed to them. If filed in the states, BOTH I-864's will be mailed or better yet scanned and emailed to NVC per electronic processing procedures. SEE: http://candleforlove...g-for-i-130cr1/

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Where did you file the I-130 Petition? In China to the consulate or embassy, or in the states?

If in China, both I-864s normally get carried to the consulate for document turn-in prior to interview, If P3 instructions specifically request the I-864 mailed to them, then BOTH need to be mailed to them. If filed in the states, BOTH I-864's will be mailed or better yet scanned and emailed to NVC per electronic processing procedures. SEE: http://candleforlove...g-for-i-130cr1/

If I remember right you DCF'd so you are not going through NVC.

When you get them the P3 packet instructions (OF-169) it is is a little unclear whether you are supposed to send the I-864 back with the P3 package. I read it and thought NO but my lawyer said Yes. (You definitely need to send the OF-169 and DS-230 back) So we sent it with P3 but the consensus seems to be you can hand it in at the interview.

I would recommend your father send you at least two (and maybe an additional) back-up of I-864 with his original signature together with the supporting documents. He should be able to send it USPS International Priority Mail or FedEx. At our interview, they asked for the I-864 even though we also sent it in with the P3 packet. So if you have it in time to send it in with P3 you can but if you haven't received it yet, I would send the P3 in and bring the I-864 with you to document intake.

Hello guys! I am expecting to receive package 3 any time, and looking ahead I am already starting on it. However, I am a little confused about the Affidavit of Support. I don't meet the income required so I had planned to get support from my father. The problem is I don't know how to do this.

From what I can tell. I should fill out an Affidavit of Support, I-864. Then have my father fill out the form I-864A. And thats it? Or does he need to ALSO fill out the I-864? I'm a little confused about what all is necessary. And it says to mail the I-864 with package 3, do I mail my fathers also with it? or give it at the interview?

Both you and your father will fill out an I-864 and you will turn them in at the time of your interview (if you are filing in China). You're also going to probably need the last three years worth of tax returns for you both to accompany the I-864. Have your father mail you the completed I-864. They're going to want a penned signature

And, I'm going to guess this is not possible, but going to ask anyways. Since im doing DCF, my Dad is in USA, which makes it inconvenient for me to get the form. Is it necessary I have him mail a signed copy to me, or is there any chance scanned or copied signed copy sent over the internet to me and printed will do?

I can just pull the copies of the last three years from the IRS website right?

Thhey can be ordered on IRS.GOV, only need simple transcripts, IRS will mail or can FAX them to a US address or US fax number.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html

Or call IRS at 800 908 9946 talk to an agent.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html?portlet=1

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

One more note about Packet 3, OF-169 is instructing you on what to gather and have ready to turn in at the visa interview, you only send OF-169, DS-230, mailing label, and a photocopy of passport BIO page as per the OF-169 instructions. OF-169 is a checklist indicating that you have gatehred these things prior to sending back the OF-169 to the consulate, though most simply return the forms and gather the evidence like police certs, etc while waiting for packet 4.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/OF-169.jpg

I pulled an old form off of the IRS as a pdf once, I dont know if I can do all of them like that though. One final question I want to ask about the Support document, when filling it out part 3, question 8 and 9 are very strange. the form lets you check I am sponsoring the princiapl imigrant in part 2 and also lets you check a yes or no under it. So I checked yes and the question...not sure why they did that, then question 9 confuses me too, it has a list under it where you can put immigrants in it again. do I need to put my wife in there again for part 3? or just putting her name in part 2 is okay? is the part in part 3 for any OTHER immigrants I might be sponsoring?

I pulled an old form off of the IRS as a pdf once, I dont know if I can do all of them like that though. One final question I want to ask about the Support document, when filling it out part 3, question 8 and 9 are very strange. the form lets you check I am sponsoring the princiapl imigrant in part 2 and also lets you check a yes or no under it. So I checked yes and the question...not sure why they did that, then question 9 confuses me too, it has a list under it where you can put immigrants in it again. do I need to put my wife in there again for part 3? or just putting her name in part 2 is okay? is the part in part 3 for any OTHER immigrants I might be sponsoring?

If you want blank 1040 forms, you can download past years forms, however if you want a transcript then you need to contact IRS or use the online system to order this record. The I-864 calls for a full return including support docs (Like W2, 1099) showing where the numbers on the 1040 came from, OR a transcript.

As for question 8,9 this has to do with multiple immigrants, and multipal joint sponsors, you could have multiple joint sponsors in cases where there is more than one immigrant, having a different joint sponsor for each immigrant.

On your I-864 as primary sponsor you check Box for #8 and Yes box. Check #9 if also sponsoring a step child (CR-2, IR-2)

As for Joint Sponsor #8 NO has to do with sponsoring just the accompanying step child listed below. If your parent is sponsoring your spouse only, then #8 YES is checked just like yours.