Emergency spine surgery

griz326

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garl dang it, Griz! That sounds like one heck of an ordeal. Spinal fusion is no easy road, even if it does give your back increased integrity. Be sure, once your are able, to follow up with physical therapy, rehab, and lots of exercise as prescribed. I have several friends who have had spinal fusions after numerous lamenectomies and good follow up seems to be the critical factor in ongoing recovery. Our prayers are with you.

Dang Griz! This is serious stuff. I hope you get on the other side of this very soon.

Me too!

Lao Po does not understand. I set up a phone conference with the surgeon, a Chinese medical translator and Lao Po. I hope that helps her because she was a real mess this morning.

• 5 weeks later...

I was finally released on Monday and am doing pretty well. Pain is ever present, but manageable with 40 mg Oxycontin daily. I'm walking around the yard with a 4 wheel walker and have just started taking steps with my cane. My goal is to be able to dance one or two dances with Lao Po at our 3rd anniversary celebration at the end of the month.

My IV antibiotics are scheduled to continue until mid-October. After the relapse, they unleashed the gorillas on the infection: Vanco and Zosyn. With yesterday's Vanco blood test, they reduced the dosage to prevent the Vanco from eating my insides. *delightful*

Everyone seems to believe I'm finally on track; all that I need to do is *walk* my way back to as full a recovery that my spine will allow. ETA on full recovery is 6-12 months.

Being this sick really gives a guy a perspective adjustment! ...sleeping in bed with Lao Po holding hands is good.